4/10 Jupiter 287/+2-193/+3-187/+4-158/+5-105/+6-99/87/69

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jamie & Jupiter, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie & Jupiter

Jamie & Jupiter Well-Known Member

Here is a link to yesterdays condo: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=92904

Jupiter did eat today prior to the AMPS- wasnt able to take his food away today before testing.

This is part of convo from yesterday:
    "I am a little worried about Jupiter... he seems really really really overly tired today.
    I dont think hes ever this tired.. The past couple days hes been really playful.. And even on days his numbers are higher I have never seen him like this.. Earlier- I tested him, gave him a treat, & went to wash my hands. Turned around and there he was sleeping on the desk where I test him at (he never ever sleeps there-he usually has specific spots he likes to lay and sleep)... Just dipped the cats toys into catnip (they love catnip and they play with their toys that are dipped into it and usually they get really excited) Jupiter played for a minute then I turned around and he is sleeping on his toy.. . he even fell asleep right next to his food bowl earlier.. i just really think he seems "off" today.

I got the Keto-stix. First attempt = failed. He has 2 litter boxes and 1 is enclosed and forgot to take off the lid first - by the time I got the lid off he was already done peeing. LOL Will try again later or in the AM Thank you all for your replies, advice, and suggestions."

Update since then:
    This morning,while Jupiter was peeing - Dane put a ladle behind him for a few seconds, got some urine in it - and then he tested it with the Keto-Stix. He said it looked negative.

I am still not sure why he seemed so tired yesterday but I am a little relieved knowing its not Ketones. I plan to keep an eye on him today - I just woke up - but hopefully hes feeling a little better.

2. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Re: 4/10 Jupiter AMPS-356

Good morning Jamie! Maybe Jupiter just had an off day yesterday. Or perhaps with the weather being warmer, he was just so happy and relaxed, lol.
    Hope he's back to his normal self today.
    I hope you get to see some good movement soon on his numbers.
    (BTW...for some ungodly reason, I keep wanting to call Jupiter Juniper, lol....)

3. Jamie & Jupiter

Hey Deb!!

Yeah Im hoping hes back to his normal self today.. cant really tell quite yet... Im glad its not Ketones though!!

No one has ever called him that before it can be your nickname for him if you want lol

4. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Yea, glad it's not ketones too. I don't think Jupiter would like that being his new nick name....kinda girly girl you know.... :lol:

5. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Good job!!!! Now you've done it once, I'm hoping he will allow it. You should be testing ketones every day that he's in these high numbers.

Good luck with the dose increase.

6. Katie & Mego (GA)

Katie & Mego (GA) Member

Re: 4/10 Jupiter AMPS-356/+2-302

How's Jupiter doing today? Is he a little more like his normal self? And YAY on the ketone test! I'm sure the first attempt was a bit discouraging, but you got it none the less! I hope he continues to cooperate. Maybe he'll let you just pass it through the stream eventually and you can ditch the spoon. I bet you are relieved the ketones are negative. I was when I started testing Mego too. Well, that's another hurdle out of the way. Let me know how he's doing today! :D

7. Jamie & Jupiter

Re: 4/10 Jupiter PMPS-287

I didnt get it (the urine test for ketones) - Dane did. lol... I was sleeping. Am not getting enough sleep lately.. Very bad migraine all day today and still have it... which is why I wasnt posting much. I am very relieved his ketones were negative. He still seems a little off to me... still seems more tired then normal. If it keeps up another day - I will call the vet and see what they think.

I think after this dose increase---if he needs another increase---I will wait a few days in between and try to catch up on some sleep.

8. Jamie & Jupiter

Re: 4/10 Jupiter PMPS-287/+2-193 need advice please

PMPS was 287 - fed him after PMPS and didnt put out more food until I tested him (+2 was done 20 minutes late) I am a little really worried about the big drop in his numbers. Is this something I should be a little concerned with???

He did just eat a little bit right after I took the +2

When should I test again?

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

This could be an active cycle. When you see that big of a drop by +2, it may mean numbers will keep dropping. I'd get a +3 and see where he's heading.

FYI: Usually you see a food spike at +1. Your pre-shot number and +2 are typically about the same. So, if he +2 is markedly less than your pre-shot, it could mean you've got some testing ahead of you!

10. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

The drop might indicate an active cycle. I would test again at +3 and see if he's still heading down.

edited to add: looks like Sienne and I crossposted.... :D

11. Jamie & Jupiter

Should I let him eat whenever he pleases then? I usually keep the food out and let him eat whenever (other then the 2 hours prior to his shot) It has been about 40 mins since the +2

His Shot was given 15 minutes later then usual and the +2 was taken 20 mins later then usual. We normally test on the hour marks. (So tests are running about 35 minutes later then usual with the 15 min + 20 min)

Sorry if thats confusing. Pain medicine tonight =[

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

As long as you know when to test, it's fine. It's OK to let Jupiter free feed. However, you can always give him a "snack" when you test. Once you're sure he's not sliding into low numbers you can let him free feed for certain.

13. Jamie & Jupiter

Looks like he has eaten a decent bit since +2 (cant be certain because of other cats - but they normally eat off a different plate from him although sometimes they will eat off his as well)

14. Marje and Gracie

Jamie

I'm going to watch you for a bit but then have to go to the airport so I'm going to see who else is around to help you.

Even though he's high still, I'd suggest a +3 just so you can see if he's still dropping as fast. Just post when you get it, ok?

Yay! Blue :D

15. Jamie & Jupiter

Re: 4/10 Jupiter PMPS-287/+2-193/+3-187 need advice please

It has been 50 minutes since his last test, just tested him and his BG is now 187

16. Jamie & Jupiter

Even though his numbers are still high -- I feel so so worried. We havent seen many blue numbers yet - so this is a little new and scary.

Im just not sure why his numbers are low - He definately ate a decent bit. (The pate mixed with shreds and gravy - still transitioning him)

I mean I know the dose increase is going to lower his numbers - I guess I kinda just assumed with the small increases in dose I would see smaller decreases in numbers

17. Marje and Gracie

Great...do he liked dropping with onset but he's slowed now. :D I think you'd be fine just getting a +5 or if you would feel more at ease, get a +4 and a +6.

No, there is no correlation between increased dose and decreases in numbers. Some cats like to dive early in the cycle no matter the dose. What you will see is less of a drop when he gets in lower numbers. The curve flattens put s bit more so instead of dropping, for example, 50 an hour when he's in the 300s, he might drop 20' an hour when he's less than 100.

18. Jamie & Jupiter

could the +2 number be because he had just eaten so much about 30 minutes prior to that test?

19. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi Jamie, I am going to be on for a while (late west coaster) so I'll keep an eye on you if you have any questions. I'll be watching for your next test. Will it be a +4 or a +5? Just so I know when to pop in.

Blue looks lovely on Jupiter. :D

20. Jamie & Jupiter

I dont know.. I feel really worried and dont think I will be able to sleep... I think I may get a +4.. hate to keep pricking his ears =[

21. Jamie & Jupiter

and thank you to everyone for helping and giving me advice..

22. Wendy&Neko

I'll be here for that +4. I still have to do the same for Neko.

Blue numbers are my favorite. It's below renal threshold so healthy and above green so not so nerve wracking this early in the cycle. It'd be great if Jupiter surfed some blue tonight.

23. Jamie & Jupiter

20 more mins til the test. I think if his number is still holding up I will feel much less worried. And maybe I will be able to take a nap - I am very tired but cant sleep when I am worrying

and thank you wendy for staying for +4, I really appreciate it

24. Wendy&Neko

Sounds like a plan. If his +4 is still up there, you could probably do a 2 hour nap.

Neko's +4 is after Jupiter's, so I'm up anyway.

25. Jamie & Jupiter

Re: 4/10 Jupiter PMPS-287/+2-193/+3-187/+4-158 need advice p

Yikes... dropped more to 158... maybe the last number was food influenced?? I am worried.. Is it going to keep dropping?

I have food sitting out so he can eat whenever hes hungry - but if at any time I should encourage him to eat more - please let me know

26. Wendy&Neko

I'm looking at his SS to try to figure out when his nadir is. He's dropped just under 30 points in the last hour. You don't need to worry until he gets under 50, so he's still got a long way to go. I know ECID, but if you look at the typical Lantus cycle, the drops slow down as you get closer to nadir. That +3 was probably somewhat food influenced.

If you need to sleep, and I can understand that after your headache today, you can always leave a bunch of LC food out for him.

27. Jamie & Jupiter

he wont eat LC food yet. Still transitioning him - I mix pate with shreds with gravy and add less and less shreds each day.

There is always food and catsickles left out overnight.

I can stay up to check on him.. I dont want his numbers to end up going too low or anything..

About how often should I be testing tonight?? And at what point should I encourage him to eat? (Sometimes he really likes really fresh food so if I just open a can he will at the very least take a few licks)

and sheesh its 80 degrees in my house... tooo hotttt!

28. Courtney and Kismet

Courtney and Kismet Well-Known Member

Hi Jamie, I just took a look at your SS, and based on your data, it looks like Jupiter normally nadirs between +4 and +5, but on occasion, has dipped lowest at +6 or +7. It might be a good idea to grab his +6 just to see where he is. If he isn't coming up at that point, you can reassess when to test again.

29. Wendy&Neko

I agree with Courtney. You can probably do a 2 hour nap at this point. Our general rule of thumb is that you want to see numbers rising before you go to bed. Especially in the greens. However, in the mid blues it's probably OK to call it a night if he's surfing around the same number.

It would be so much better if he would do this during the day so you could properly collect data on him. Darn cats!

30. Jamie & Jupiter

I can properly collect data tonight.. I dont think I will be able to sleep tonight....I am worried

31. Courtney and Kismet

Jamie, if you can and want to stay up, that's perfectly fine, too. I would expect Jupiter to start rising in the next two hours, so as soon as you see a noticeable rise (not just a surf,) you're probably safe to call it a night.

Congrats on this beautiful blue streak! It looks like Jupiter has finally hit his breakthrough dose. Once you see more frequent blues and greens, it won't be as scary. Just remember that as long as you are testing, you are in control (as much as we can be) so there's really nothing to worry about. :D

32. Jamie & Jupiter

may end up testing at +5 as well - just to ease my mind a little

33. Jamie & Jupiter

Yeah I think I am just really worried as this is really the first time seeing all of these blues. I LOVE seeing the blues and I really hope this dose works for him. I think I will panic even worse the first time he gets a green number. I am just a person who worries a lot though.

Thank you both for your help. Glad I didnt have to do this alone tonight.

34. Courtney and Kismet

We all go through that phase! It's very scary the first time it happens. We were on our third day of insulin when Kismet took a swan dive to the 40s, and I totally panicked! :shock: That's the newbie trial by fire :lol: The first few times you see lower numbers is very frightening, but once you get used to them and you are confident you can manipulate the curve, you long for low greens!

35. Jamie & Jupiter

Re: 4/10 Jupiter PMPS-287/+2-193/+3-187/+4-158/+5-105 need a

Oh my +5 was 105. took it about 10 mins early because he was going to his food bowl. Should I feed him higher carb food then normal?

Feeling really very worried!!

36. Courtney and Kismet

I would hold off on the high carb for now. You don't want to over carb him. If you want, offer a little LC and see if he will eat. Just a tsp, in case you need to get him to eat more.

37. Jamie & Jupiter

I know hes hungry now because he went to his food bowl to eat and I stopped him to test him first. He wont eat LC food - he is still transitioning

38. Courtney and Kismet

Also, if you feed him now, grab a test in 30 minutes. I will stay up with you, just in case.

39. Wendy&Neko

I see you just got that +5. Very close to green, but not there yet. That plan of a +6 is a good one. Paws crossed he's at or about at his nadir and goes up the next test. Are you OK by yourself tonight? I'm not sure how much longer Courtney will be up and Neko is high enough I don't need to test anymore.

General guidelines are to test again in an hour. If he's up 20% or so, your OK for bed. If down, you might want to test another hour after that. If he's below 80, I'd move to testing every 1/2 hour testing.

Why don't you see if you can get him to eat a bit of his regular food now so encourage him to surf here.

40. Wendy&Neko

Right, I'm a slow typer. :lol: We save HC food for under 50's. Since his regular food is closer to MC, that 's a good choice for now.

Thanks for staying up a bit Courtney.

41. Jamie & Jupiter

Just gave him a small spoonful of his normal food (pate mixed with shreds w/ gravy)

and he ate it all... am i allowed to give him more? he went to his other foodbowls and is trying to eat

42. Courtney and Kismet

No problemo :D Kiz is on his way down... 115 @ +3, so I am up for a bit anyway. Ni ni Wendy!

43. Jamie & Jupiter

I feel bad .. am I able to give him more food? Is he able to eat out of his other bowls or do I need to be watching how much he is eating?

44. Courtney and Kismet

Jamie, I would hold off feeding any more at this point, because you don't want him to get to full if you need him to eat more to get him up.

Please get a test 30 minutes from when he last ate and post the number here. After that test, you can give him a little more food. It's very normal for them to be hungry when their BG drops... that's a good sign! It means that Jupiter is pretty independent and knows to eat when he is low. This is good to know in case you're ever not around. He will likely go to his food bowl on his own. :D

45. Wendy&Neko

Maybe one more spoonful.You want him to be a little hungry if you need to feed him more after +6.

ETA: Ignore the above.

46. Courtney and Kismet

When do you normally feed Jupiter? Is he free fed, or is he on a timed feeding schedule? Also, how much food does he normally eat in a day, and how much has he had today so far?

47. Jamie & Jupiter

he eats whenever he wants... I have no idea how much he eats in a day because I have 3 cats and they share food.. there is ALWAYS food left out during the day and at night food and catsickles are both left out (the only time food is not left out is for the 2 hours before each shot). I think he eats more then the other cats though..

48. Courtney and Kismet

Oh, I totally understand! It's a challenge to monitor eating in a multi cat household. I was just curious to know if he was short on his normal food intake which might account for the hunger, or if he is hungry because of the low BG. After you get the test, you can feed him some more, maybe 2 tsps to hold him over. When you get that number, please post here, and we'll figure out when the next test should be.

Are you doing okay? You're doing a wonderful job!

49. Jamie & Jupiter

I would think hes probably about hungry by this time...he eats pretty frequently through out the day. He seems to have a hard time even going without food for that 2 hours before the shot..

I feel worried.. I woke up my boyfriend.. He is now half-asleep on the couch..

50. Courtney and Kismet

It's normal to be anxious, but there's really nothing to worry about. I am here with you and we'll make sure that Jupiter stays safe. :) If he in the greens at your next test, there's no need to panic, just post and let me know and I'll walk you through what to do.

51. Jamie & Jupiter

I think he normally eats a few tablespoons (not teaspoons) at a time.. I will be testing in approx 5 mins from now

52. Courtney and Kismet

If you're feeling nervous, you can make that 20 minutes instead of 30 minutes to get the test. By my calculations that's just about now. It normally takes 15-20 minutes for the food to kick in, which is why we usually say 20-30, but you can check earlier if it will make you feel better.

53. Courtney and Kismet

Oh, perfect! We cross-posted there.

As far as feeding, the reason we give small amounts when they drop in low numbers is so that we don't over-carb them or get them too full if we need them to keep eating. When you see low numbers, the goal is to get them up with food, and then to eventually get 2 consecutive non-influenced rising numbers, spaced 30 minutes apart, to be sure they are coming up on their own.

54. Jamie & Jupiter

he ate that little spoonful of food within a few seconds.. should i post his number before giving him more food?

55. Courtney and Kismet

Please.

56. Jamie & Jupiter

Hes at 101 now.

57. Courtney and Kismet

That's really just a surf. Go ahead and feed him a bit more, a couple of spoonfuls should be fine. After he eats, wait 20 minutes and test again.

58. Jamie & Jupiter

He isnt acting interested in his food.. I tried a few different kinds..

However he did want his freeze dried chicken treat (usually give him 1 after testing) so I gave him 1 and he just ate that

59. Marje and Gracie

Hey ladies

Just got back from the airport. looking good! What a great job the three of you and Jupe are doing!

Courtney...do you need to go to bed? I can stay up with Jamie if you are ready for some sleep. My sis lives in CDT zone so she is exhausted and went straight to bed. Let me know :D

60. Courtney and Kismet

Do you have any treats you can sprinkle on top to entice him?

61. Jamie & Jupiter

I will try to sprinkle some of the crumbs from the freeze dried chicken treats on top

62. Courtney and Kismet

Hi Marje! Glad your sis got here safely. If you're going to be up, I think I will go to bed. Long day ahead (and a paper due :shock: ) so I should really get some rest tonight. Silly Kis just dipped into the greens, though, so I will probably be up for a little while longer.

63. Marje and Gracie

I can be up. I think Jupiter may it be too persistent tonight. Go ahead and get some rest. Thanks to you and Wendy!

Jamie...doing great! Please just post your next number.

Ni Ni C! Thank you so much!

64. Jamie & Jupiter

okay he ate a little bit of the food - i think hes done now.. other cats decided they would like to eat now too so putting the food back out but jupiter is here right beside me

65. Courtney and Kismet

Anytime! I am going to be around for the next 30 minutes to get K's +5, and then will turn in. Jamie, wonderful job tonight! Jupiter is doing such a good job, and so are you! :D Ni ni guys! Hope Jupe comes up soon and surfs safely.

Another thing worth mentioning --- don't panic if you get a very high number in the morning. That's what we call a "bounce" which can sometimes happen if the BGs dip lower than they usually do. The Pancreas is an emotional organ that panics and start dumping glucagon causing a spike in BG. That being said, I hope these blue streaks will become a new trend for your boy :)

66. Jamie & Jupiter

so test 20 mins after he finished eating. is that correct?

67. Marje and Gracie

I'd give him 30. It takes about that long for the carbs to hit the blood.

68. Jamie & Jupiter

okay will post here after the test, thank you alll sooo sooo much for the help tonight

69. Marje and Gracie

You're welcome! It takes a village and we are yours :D

70. Jamie & Jupiter

next test coming up in 4 minutes will post here - do i need to add it to my subject line or just post here

71. Marje and Gracie

Both is fine...you can take all the text after the numbers out of the subject line. Usually once you get help or get a question answered, we ask that you take down the ? Or the "need advice" so we can assist someone else :D

72. Jamie & Jupiter

He is at 99

73. Marje and Gracie

Ok...will he eat a couple of tsps of food? LC is best if you have it and retest in 30. Sound good?

74. Jamie & Jupiter

Re: 4/10 Jupiter PMPS-287/+2-193/+3-187/+4-158/+5-105/+6-99

he doesnt eat LC he eats MC right now still transitioning him (he eats pate mixed with shreds) I will try to get him to eat again - struggled last time..

75. Marje and Gracie

I couldn't remember which he ate. I hope you can get him to eat at least one tsp.

76. Jamie & Jupiter

okay he seemed very eager to eat this time.. just ate a few tsps.. ate it pretty quickly

77. Jamie & Jupiter

in 30 minutes will post his BG.. thank you for helping

78. Marje and Gracie

Great! See you in 30 :D You're welcome.

79. Jamie & Jupiter

80. Jamie & Jupiter

Re: 4/10 Jupiter PMPS-287/+2-193/+3-187/+4-158/+5-105/+6-99/

I feel really really very very worried. what do i do now??

81. Jamie & Jupiter

Re: 4/10 Jupiter 287/+2-193/+3-187/+4-158/+5-105/+6-99/87 he

I am really worried =[

I am going to try to see if he will eat some of his regular food for now til someone gives me advice

82. Jamie & Jupiter

He took a few licks but not much at all.... very worried... not sure what to do now

83. Marje and Gracie

I'm so sorry! I fell asleep.

Retest him 30 mins from last test pls. He's at a very very safe number at 87.

84. Jamie & Jupiter

its been 30 minutes - hes at 86 now. should i try feeding him or anything?

85. Marje and Gracie

If he will eat, that's fine. Looks like he is leveling off. Either way, how about another test in 30 and if he's up you can leave out food and go to bed. I'll be awake this time !

86. Jamie & Jupiter

Its okay. I just tried to remain calm and set a timer to test again 30 mins after he took those few licks. hes at 86.

87. Marje and Gracie

See above post.

88. Jamie & Jupiter

He is at 69 now. he didnt eat after last test

89. Marje and Gracie

Do you have some higher carb food? If so give him a tsp. recheck in 30. He's still fine. Safe number.

90. Marje and Gracie

Here's a recap:

PMPS: 287
    +2: 193
    +3: 187
    +4: 158
    +5: 105
    +6: 99
    +6.5: 87
    +7: 86
    +7.5: 69

He should be nadiring soon and heading back up. Normally, I would not feed HC this late in the cycle but I know you are tired.

91. Jamie & Jupiter

I have the gravy kind, I normally mix that with the pate. I will give him a little bit of that plain..

92. Marje and Gracie

That's fine. Are you ok?

93. Jamie & Jupiter

Just put a little of the FF gravy lovers out for him and accidently left the can on the floor... he ended up getting a little more of it then I intended. He licked up a lot of the gravy out of it.

Gotta be more careful next time - Im getting realllllllyyy tired.

Will test again in 30 mins from when he finished the food.

94. Marje and Gracie

Ok. I know you are exhausted. I thought he'd be coming up now. Are the numbers above right or are we later than +7.5?

95. Jamie & Jupiter

in 30 mins it will be +9

sorry am a little confused myself (his shot was given 15 mins late - so 15 mins behind schedule) and the +'s arent exact since ive been testing so long after he eats. i have all the exact times written down on a notebook if needed

96. Marje and Gracie

If you can just fix what I wrote, that would be great as I need to be accurate as we get closer to AMPS.

Thank you.

97. Jamie & Jupiter

I am sorry - I cant think straight..

This is whats in my notebook - I always write down the time and BG number.

PMPS 9:14pm 287
    11:35pm - 193
    12:25am - 187
    1:22am - 158
    2:07am - 105
    2:42 am - 101
    3:26am - 99
    4:04 am - 87
    4:55 am - 86
    5:25 am - 69

The times are always different because I was testing 30 mins after he was done eating.

98. Jamie & Jupiter

and my next timer is set to go off in approx. 10 mins from now

99. Marje and Gracie

Ok.... I'll figure it out. :D

100. Marje and Gracie

PMPS 9:14pm 287
    +2.25 - 193
    +3.25 - 187
    +4.25: - 158