? 4/12 Jasper AMPS 249 /+4 315/ +6.5 219 ... how long does MC food affect BG tests?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jasper Blue and Jay, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Jasper Blue and Jay

Jasper Blue and Jay Member

I was thinking last night, next time we raise the dose I want to give him some MC food with that morning's shot to help him take advantage of the extra insulin to gain some weight...we're not raising this AM but... this is the lowest preshot we've had and we've only been on this dose for a bit.. and he cleared the bounce from this raise quick and had a great two cycles.... don't want to go too low today either...

Is that a good idea or is there some drawback I'm not thinking of?

eta: Gave him about half a can of 13% carb florentine medley. Numbers will be higher today :( but I'm ok with that because he needs to put on some weight.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  2. Jasper Blue and Jay

3. Jasper Blue and Jay

Ok went ahead and gave him the 13% carb Florentine medley or whatever.. almost puked when I opened it... it looks and smells awful lol almost didn't go through with it cause the last thing I need is a weird food reaction making him pukey but my wife said it smelled fine to her lol so I gave him a little less than half the can probably and gave his brother a smidge so he didn't bug us when we gave the insulin lol (he's probably overweight).

4. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

I’d stick with LC and just give him more if he needs to put on weight. Regulating carbs is really important so switching it up is not the best idea

Bellasmom likes this.
  5. Jasper Blue and Jay

Do you know how long about 1/2 a can of 13% carbs might raise his bg levels? I can't find any info on that.

6. Lisa and little

I do not but I wouldn’t concern yourself with trying to figure that out. I would just increase regular LC food from here on if you feel he needs to put some weight on

7. Jasper Blue and Jay

There is no way to increase LC food...he already eats as much of it as he wants and I wish it was a mere "feeling" that he needs to put "some" weight on. He is very underweight. You can count his vertebrae.

"I wouldn’t concern yourself with trying to figure that out." I strongly disagree... If I listened every time someone told me that about my cat , I would never have found this site in the first place. It is my job to concern myself with figuring out what food is best *for him*.

8. Lisa and little

My point was it really didn’t matter how long a half can of HC would effect his BG levels since he can’t “un eat” it. All I am saying is that it’s a proven fact that HC food will wreak havoc with BG levels. Perhaps you can use the food chart and pick a LC food that is higher in calories so he can put some weight on. I’ll stay out of it from here on. Good luck

9. Jasper Blue and Jay

Still wondering if anyone knows...

How long do the carbs from 1 meal affect bg tests?

I just found this... but it applies to humans:

"If you experience spikes in blood glucose after you eat high-carbohydrate meals, your levels will be higher than normal for as much as six to nine hours out of each day."

So, that's only one cycle for a human... and cats metabolize faster...

So, not sure it translates at all.

And read some more...the kind of food you have with it affects it... and ECID... seems like it could be a couple cycles... hopefully not more...

I feel like this is something that should be easily researchable though since the go to for hypo situations is HC food...when/if you've had to use mc/hc food for a hypo situation...how long did that affect bg results? Or do rebounds/bounces from the hypo confuse the situation too?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019