4/15 OT: Lyresa needs vines for Civvie

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey, Apr 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

SPIKE JUST STOOD ON THE FOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    YARD DANCE!!!

Had just finished syringe feeding for extra calories/protein along with a/b, he got up, pulled it up with the knee, put it down correctly then put weight on it!!!! I'm zinging off the walls writing this, can you tell????? :)

2. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

FANTASTIC NEWS! GO SPIKE!!! :cat::cool::cat::woot::woot:

Squeaky and KT (GA) likes this.
  3. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

That's Great!!
    Go Spike :cat:

4. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

Oh,my, I am just reading this now. Have a lot of hope for Spike!
    This happened to my Layla, before she was my Lyla. and she survived. She was a three and a half legged cat. Belonged to my irresponsible - no - heartless, neighbor who went on a 4 day weekend vacation and left Layla outside without food or water - this during a Texas summer. Hungry, Layla hunted a mouse that ran inside my dog's fenced in area. Layla was on the hunt so didn't think and followed the mouse. She caught the mouse and was eating it. The first I knew of this was hearing barks and howls. I ran out to save Layla from my dogs. Literally grabbed her from the jaws of death. She hugged me, putting both her arms round my neck.
    I took her to my vet - emergency on Sunday, and the up shot was that by the next day she developed peritonitis. Emergency surgery removed over half her intestines, and it was touch and go for 3 weeks.

Layla made it, and now lives happily with me. (Like I'm going to let my neighbor ever even touch Layla again!)

I only go into all this, because I know how much you're suffering now, and I really think your Spike is going to make it.
    Hugs and vines and all else helpful and healing in the universe goes to you and Spike tonight.

best layla for xmas card copy.jpg

Layla.

5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

WOO HOO SPIKE!!!:cat:

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!

Go Spike!! You can make it all the way back!!!

7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

8. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

IMO direct eye contact is a very good thing. I can tell when Gizmo isn't feeling good because he won't look at my eyes. Spike has a strong spirit. :cat:

Thank you for keeping us updated. :bighug:

9. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Hurray for Spike!!! :D:D:D:D

10. Squeaky and KT (GA)

They say 'A picture is worth 1000 words'.... :)

SpikeStand20Apr17.jpg

11. Kris & Teasel

OMG!!! LOOK AT THAT WILL YA??!! :D:D:D:D:D:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

12. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

13. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Lookin' good, Spike!!! What a great picture! BIG YARD DANCE!!!

14. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Sooooooogreat to hear and fantastic photo! :bighug::bighug:
    !!!GO SPIKE!!
    IMG_4325.JPG

Dyana and Squeaky and KT (GA) like this.
  15. Kako & Tux

Kako & Tux Well-Known Member

So very happy!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm dancing! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

16. Squeaky and KT (GA)

He still can't actually walk on it but he can use it lightly to balance. He still has to flip it right with the hip and knee but it's going to happen! Oh it's really going to heal!!!

He's eating fairly decently too! Instead of syringe this morning, I put the a/d on a saucer and set it down - he ate about 2 tbsp all by himself!

Still no more poop....Miralax started...

17. Kris & Teasel

Maybe some kitty physio? I'm only half kidding ... :)

18. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Actually - NO kidding - we've been doing that since it happened! He's not liked it but we know that the longer it's not working, the weaker the muscles will become. Can't let that happen. He's always hated his feet messed with, he STILL doesn't like it. :) But he's figured out he'd just as well get over that...

19. Kris & Teasel

I think that'll help him in the long run. I'm a huge fan of physio after having it for 3 1/2 months post upper arm fracture. The docs thought I'd have limited mobility but it got me back to 100%. :smuggrin:

20. Karen & Lily

Karen & Lily Member

So happy to hear a good progress report on Spike! I hope today brings more good news! ♥

21. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Well you go Spike!!!!! Sounds like with more rest Spike will be using it fine. PJ's half foot flops about. It scares me more than it bothers her. Vet and ortho say to leave it be for now. In case you haven't heard, some time in her 1st 5 weeks of life the hip and ball was fractured. It doesn't stop her though.

22. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Wonderful news!!!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

23. Donna and Flame

Donna and Flame Well-Known Member

I am so over the moon happy to see this wonderful update!! :):):):):)
    They are amazing in their ability to heal themselves!! GO SPIKE!!! You are one strong boy!!

Happy dance Lyresa!

24. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Need extra vines/thoughts/prayers today for poop...plenty of pee with no problem but no poop since the first 48 hours. Miralax started yesterday. Food has been mostly a/d so not much that won't absorb but we still should have seen some.

25. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Vines for poop heading Spike's way!
    GO Spike GO!!

26. Kathy and TiTi

healing vines.jpg Spike, POOP!

Otherwise. I see that this brave boy's on the mend, and I so happy.

27. Squeaky and KT (GA)

He put weight on the foot!!!! It trembled and it was just a quick 'step' but he used it right!! I'm just over the moon happy with the progress he's made so far - he's just as determined as we are. I did syringe feed some this morning as I wasn't happy with the amount he ate by choice. He's always been that way tho'....eat a bit then leave it. He's being SO good about meds and feeding. It's sort of funny - I let him smell what I'm about to give him. If it's his a/b, he gives me a 'resigned' look like 'crap, I was hoping for something better'. :) He does well when syringe feeding now - we have that down to an art....altho' I 'overshot' this morning and filled the pocket on my TShirt with food.

Now if we can just have poop....that's beginning to concern me... :(

HUGS AND HUGS!!!! Thank you all for walking this journey with us - you don't know how much it's appreciated.

28. carfurby (GA)

That is good news a out his foot. I hope you get some poop soon. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

29. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Sending poop vines!

30. Kris & Teasel

Would he tolerate pumpkin?

31. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

I agree with Kris - maybe pumpkin is a solution?
    Soulistic makes Luna Tuna Orig Pouch, per Dr. Lisa 72-23-5%, 253 Phosp-high and it used to make Ducia to produce lavish poo.:)
    I stopped feeding her carbs but instead I keep the pureed pumpkin just in case for her the same Soulistic brand: FoodWPumpkin.jpg

This pureed Pumpkin has to be mixed with other foods.
    The Luna Tuna on the other hand is actually a food, smells good and Ducia used to like it a lot.

32. Kako & Tux

Timely, Tux's having poo problem too.
    I ordered "PetAlive Natural Moves" online, but it's taking forever to arrive.
    So I gave Tux a couple peas two days in a roll, and resulted wonderfully! :cat:

(Everyone is different. Miralax, Probiotic, Pumpkin doesn't help Tux much.)

33. Squeaky and KT (GA)

He swears I'm trying to poison him if I gave him pumpkin in the past but life this last week is very different than what it's been for many years. I think I may have some in the freezer. If so, I'll thaw it and add it to his syringe food....and try to get it in the cat not my pocket. If not, I'll have to get some. Thanks for reminding me of that...guess he's sort of trained my brain his way over the years - Spike = No Pumpkin

34. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending planeloads of poo vines to dear Spike, hope the pumpkin helps him.:bighug::bighug:cat_wings>o

35. Kathy and TiTi

OH MY!!!!
    This is fantastic!. What a cat!

36. Squeaky and KT (GA)

And another '1000 words' - BIG HUGE YARD DANCE!!!

April 2017 005a.jpg

37. LizzieInTexas

Whoop! Poooooo! :joyful:

38. carfurby (GA)

39. Glennie

Glennie Member

So good to hear such great news!:bighug:

40. Kris & Teasel

Hurray for poop!!!

41. Kathy and TiTi

Woo Hoo for Poo!

42. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Lyresa, I've not been here much the last few days so am just getting caught up. I'm so happy that Spike is using his foot, eating and pooping, and just generally seems to be on the road to a great recovery! Still keeping him in my prayers. Healing vines to Spike and (((hugs))) to you.
    Lucy:bighug::bighug::bighug:

43. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending healing vines, prayers and hugs. Glad Spike is improving. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

44. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

45. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Spike Update 4/23:
    We've taken a couple of sideways steps, I won't say 'backwards' but the stomach wound edges weren't healing together at all. There was damaged tissue all along the edges - we were hoping it would seal but no such luck. Remaining staples were removed today and whole wound area was stitched both inside and out after edges were trimmed back to solid flesh. These will stay in for 2 weeks. The foot is still not working correctly but it's progressing. He can put weight on it for a second, can 'flip' the toes forward but it doesn't yet stay in that position. Another ER bill but they are 'treating' vet for same injury, saved $95 - still another $174 but that included sedation, cleaning and lots of stitching. Even tho' it cost a bit more, I much prefer the sedation methods used there versus my regular vet. He's VERY antsy and is now starting to pay attention to the wound - baby Tshirts here we come. He freaks with the cone so far but dang, I had to pay $25 for this blue piece of.....err....crap. [​IMG] A lot of the 'battle' has been won but we're still fighting the 'war'.

We did have a regular full good poop yesterday afternoon. He's now eating completely on his own, no more syringe feeding! AND a huge blessing - he's beginning to prefer soft food and leaving his 'die hard' kibble (all 3-4 pieces I allowed on his plate)! We've fought that battle for years and have never won it...

HUGS to all of you....LOTS and lots of them....

46. Tanya and Ducia

Thank for posting the update!
    Poor Spike, sending healing vines and prayers for speedy improvement
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

47. Kris & Teasel

Thanks for this. We're all rooting for him! Put up a photo when he has his baby T-shirt on.

48. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Oh he's feeling like Spike again - wants OUT OUT OUT! I wanna go pee in my sand! He's trying to lick the stitches so I made a shirt for him until I can get one that will fit better. It's not going to win any fashion awards... :) but I'm one of those 'whatever works' people! Here he is modeling his attire:

OUT! It's up there Mama! OUT!
    April 2017 002a.jpg

Pwease? Out?
    April 2017 004a.jpg

Reluctant 'show Mama the front'
    April 2017 005a.jpg

49. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm SO glad that Spike is making good progress!! What a relief.

50. carfurby (GA)

He looks so cute in his homemade shirt. Sending more healing prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

51. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry you had to get more "work" done on his wounds. Hopefully this will allow him to heal more quickly and completely.
    Sending hugs and healing vines :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

52. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update! I have been wondering how Spike was doing. His little shirt is adorable! I will send healing vines that the reattachment of tissue will do the trick. He looks wonderful for all that he is been through. How are you holding up, Momma?

53. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Now that he's eating on his own, will take his meds without a hiccup and is peeing/pooping, I'm worrying less so feel better.

The stitching job that this vet did looks amazing. Nice stitches, nice laid edges, no puckers or pulls so I don't doubt it will heal now. I knew the other wasn't healing - the more he moved the more it pulled open and staples tore. There was no sign of infection which pleased me greatly too.

I'm also floored - when I put the shirt on and he decided he couldn't go out, he laid down and went soundly to sleep. Hummmm...a 'thundershirt' cat? He calms when I wrap him too.

Still a long road ahead but it sure looks smoother than the last 9 days have been....

54. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I am smiling ear to ear for you! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

55. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

This is a good report on a very brave boy. I'm so glad that you got the wound attended to by the ER vet. It sounds like he did a great job. We are sending all of the very best healing vines we can find for the wound to heal well. Love the shirt!
    Spike Kitty: you have an important job to do now: heal that wound, keep on working with your foot, pee and poop, and keep on eating on your own. :cat::cat::cat::cat:

Hugs, Lyressa, :bighug::bighug::bighug:

56. Judy and Boomer

I'm so happy that Spike is feeling better! YAY!:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

57. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Now share my laugh....I shouldn't have said anything. Oh he's just spitting, biting, growling mad at me...only 'calm' in that towel was the fact his teeth or front claws couldn't reach me. :eek: I was making him go to bed instead of letting him go 'up'. Dat's my SpikerDoodle..:joyful:

58. Glennie

Glennie Member

Adorable! :cat::D So glad for you! :bighug:

59. Squalliesmom

I'm glad the ER vet cleaned up the edges of the wound and restitched everything, sounds like a better job for healing. Love the pics of him in his shirt, so adorable! Glad he's got his SpikerDoodle spirit back, lol!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

60. Kris & Teasel

This is wonderful news! Love his shirt! Like many human surgeons, some vet surgeons are far more skilled than others. I'm glad Spike was seen by a good one. :)

61. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Great news!! :) I am surprised to hear Spike wants to go outside after what happened to him! :rolleyes:

62. Kako & Tux

He looks so cute in the blue shirt! :joyful:
    Happy that he looks normal (posture, eyes, etc.) :bighug:

63. Olive & Paula

Have you tried a one piece sleeper for newborns? Put it on backwards with snaps or buttons on his back. Cut hole for tail and back end. Trim the legs of sleeper to fit length of cats legs.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  64. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Paula, GMTA! That's what's in the bag in front of me... :)

Squalliesmom likes this.
  65. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Picture please, if it works. :)

66. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Of all the times, he's gone SOUND asleep and has been since I got home....I know he needs that BUT I'm getting impatient. :)

Tiger(GA) and Ruth likes this.
  67. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

OMG I had to read all 166 posts to catch up--Here are tons and tons more continuing prayers, healing and poop vines for Spike and so much love and hugs for you Lyresa-you are amazing that is one lucky kitty!! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

68. Squeaky and KT (GA)

4/24 Afternoon:
    I misjudged his fat kitty self...1 of the 4 fit but is sort of snug but the other 3 are likely too small, didn't try them. I got onesies but cut off about 1.5" of the snap bottom inside as was afraid he'd catch that injured paw if it hung down. I should have gotten at least 1 size larger. He's having to stay in the kennel so he won't go up on is shelves again. We took the steps and ramp away, thought he couldn't get up because he can't jump off his back legs yet. I was standing 18" away, turned to move the waterbowl, he stretched, got the carpet edge and pulled himself right up to the top before I literally could turn and raise my arms. Can we say STUBBORN? Now he can only be out with supervisor SITTING on the 'up'. :)

Incision looks wonderful!

.....and drumroll please....

Modeling his new fashion statement - Sir Spike (aka Doodlebug)

April 2017 004a.jpg April 2017 003a.jpg April 2017 005a.jpg

THANK YOU All and HUGE HUGS!

69. Squalliesmom

He looks very regal in his blue onesie!:):cat:

70. LizzieInTexas

Love it! He actually looks quite please with himself :cool:

71. carfurby (GA)

He looks so cute. It sounds like he's feeling pretty good. Sending more prayers.

72. Tanya and Ducia

He is adorable!
    More and more healing vines!
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

73. Olive & Paula

Looks good. What size did you go with?

74. Squeaky and KT (GA)

I should have gone with 12 months, that's 9 months and rides down but he's 15 lbs of cat on about a 12 lb frame.

75. Kris & Teasel

He looks SO cute in that! :smuggrin:

76. Judy and Boomer

AAAHHH he looks so cute in his onesie!

77. Olive & Paula

78. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Oh I like that idea Paula but I don't have anything with a sleeve big enough to fit around his fat middle... :) I'm truly thankful he IS fat or he wouldn't have made it. He also still has a thick layer of winter fat stores. He's a chunky monkey and needs to lose some of it. This got me thinking tho'.....hummmm....

79. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

got any old sweatpants.... I used a sweatshirt sleeve with a kitten. Sweatpants would be better for a bigger guy.

80. Squeaky and KT (GA)

AH HA!!! Thanks Rhiannon! I'll bet I can find something with that idea line... :)

81. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

cool. you can make it as long as you want or even put rear leg holes in it too.....

82. Gussie's mom (GA)

Gussie's mom (GA) Well-Known Member

More vines coming for your impressive boy from here too!:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

83. Olive & Paula

You could probably use any adult long sleeve. Be careful using sweatshirt material. He could get overheated with that.

84. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

true, it was winter when I did it.....

85. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Had to check his belly so got camera. Here's the nice work the ER vet did with the stitches - nice and flat, no puckering, edges nice. I'm VERY pleased with the progress so far too. He's not messing with the T-shirt nor even trying to lick. We've now got 'up' blocked and he's realized it....decided he'd just go back in his kennel and go back to sleep.... :)

April 2017 002a.jpg

86. Kris & Teasel

Looks good!

87. carfurby (GA)

That looks really good. The vet did a nice job.

88. Squeaky and KT (GA)

4/26 UPDATE:
    About the same today altho' he's not eating as well as I'd like. I don't know if he just doesn't need as much or something else. He's not acting like he has an upset stomach. He's still on the clavamox for several more days. He's using the foot a bit more each day, the toes still aren't acting right and he can't squat without turning that food backwards but it still doesn't seem to be hurting.

That spot in the middle of the wound that looked sort of concerning yesterday is looking OK again today. The edges pulled apart there but I'm hoping it will close back on it's own.

These onesies are working very well! He seems to be enjoying them. He put on a new one this morning.

We're having internet issues which won't allow me to post pics right now - I'll edit and add as soon as it returns to a good mood. Oh the joys of living in the middle of nowhere. :)

HUGS to all that visit - we truly appreciate it!

EDIT TO ADD PICS:

This is the onesies I'm using - I cut off that front snap section that hung down far enough it might get in the way of the injured foot.

April 2017 001a.jpg

His 'room' - kennel stays open during the day but I do close it at night - don't want him doing stOOpid stuff.

April 2017 004a.jpg

Sleepily modeling today's fashion

April 2017 006a.jpg

89. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Lyresa , have been reading ur condo and had to let you know it has caused me to cry and cheer, often at the same time !!! Keeping up prayer for sweet Spike for full recovery and healing :) What a determined spirit :)

90. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Oh, and on the poop front , Pet Alive Natural Moves is the only thing that has given Elmo daily , soft Poops :)

91. carfurby (GA)

Spike looks so cute in his onesie. Sending more prayers.

92. Olive & Paula

So cute in his onesie. PJ constantly "groomed" her shirt. Does Spike?

93. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Good boy, Spike, your bean is the best. Listen to her. And eat yer fuds. Thank you for the update, Lyresa. He's making progress, slow but sure. :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
    Liz

94. Squeaky and KT (GA)

PJ's a silly beautiful wierdo! :) He's just groomed around it.

95. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Hi Lyresa, Sending eating vines to Spike, in addition to the healing vines. I hope the wound closes up and stays that way.
    Hugs and scritches,

96. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Hi Lyresa.

Haven't been on the Board much lately - had our annual Wino Weekend and still recovering. ;) Just got caught up with your updates - sounds like Spike is doing amazingly well!

Thanks for letting me know I don't need to excavate my CoverMes. I would have done it for you, but I'm happy to know I don't have to!
    :p

Spike continues to be in my prayers. Sending more healing vines for him and some for Bernie, too. :bighug:s for you!

97. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

So glad to read that Spike is continuing to do so well.
    You are doing an amazing job.

98. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Knock me over with a feather - a certain fat striped kitty in cool clothes is choosing to walk around, climb the single step, in and out of litterbox, in and out of crate and HOLLERING - "MamaBean! Let me get 'UP'! I wantz UP!

He's using the foot a bit more and even used it to 'lead' to step up without it collapsing. We still have 'up' blocked but now that he seems to be feeling better after our 'sideways steps', we'll likely put his steps and a ramp back up tomorrow. That's 5 days of healing with the new stitching...I'll decide when I see what today's 'antsy Spike' causes. I sure don't want to allow it too early and take actual 'backwards' steps.

HUGS to all that visit! Gosh am I glad that all of you are here...

99. Mandy & Rex (GA)

This is fantastic news!! I hope Spike won't mess up his chance at having some freedom today!

100. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Now I really grin....he's at the door stretching, STANDING on his back legs patting the door telling me OUT! I'm saying 'Nope'... :) I think he wants to go poop and never did like to use the litterbox for that. He will....but not until he's decided he's not going to get 'out'. Oh am I getting the stink eye...he'll be pouting shortly...but hopefully AFTER he poops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.