4/15 OT: Lyresa needs vines for Civvie

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey, Apr 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Wonderful news! Keep healing Spike. Sending prayers.

Squeaky and KT (GA) likes this.
  2. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Love it ....love it...love it ....makes my heart about burst :). More prayers for Spike the Courageous Cat :)

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Fantastic!!! :woot:

Nicole Z and Squeaky and KT (GA) like this.
  4. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

That's really great news!!!

5. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Such fantastic progress! Lyresa, you must be dancing in the streets (certainly in the yard!). Go Spike!!

6. Kathy and TiTi

Kathy and TiTi Well-Known Member

Out? Well, delighted that he's making a full recovery.

7. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

So glad to read about Spike's continued progress, you must be so relieved Lyresa.

8. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

UPDATE 4/30!

Didn't have a chance to post an update but he's doing better and better as time passes. He's learned to use the foot and toes - he's even leading with it to step like usual altho' just very lightly. He can't squat to do his business, the foot still has to turn backwards but he's figured it out and doesn't seem to have any issues doing it that way. His stomach wound is healing nicely now. He's still wearing his onesies and hadn't messed with them...until last night. Woke this morning to an undressed kitty! No signs that he'd messed with his stitches tho'. Today we're taking down the 'up' blocks and putting his steps and ramp back up so he can go 'up' to see outside again. He's fairly steady and we're no longer overly concerned that he's going to fall.

I'm not really happy with how much he's eating...or not eating...about 1 can of Fancy Feast and maybe half of another but I'm hoping that will improve when he can do more of what he wants to do by himself. He's finished the whole course of a/b's - WOOHOO!!!

It's been a long slooooow road but maybe the 'end' is in sight!

THANK YOU ALL over and over for all the thoughts, prayers, encouragement and hugs....I'd be a basket case if it weren't for all of you!!!

BIG HUGE HUGS!!!!

9. Beth 73

Thank u for Spike update:)...thrilled that things just keep getting better :) Think about and pray for u all each day :)

10. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

I love reading these progress reports, Lyresa! Go Spike! Maybe he's eating less because he's getting less exercise indoors. I'm sorry that I only had that one can of Hound & Gatos pork (the food he liked). If you think he still might like it, I'll pick up a few cans when I'm in NYC in a couple of weeks.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

11. Squeaky and KT (GA)

I should have posted that update earlier - he's now eating!!! And eating!!! He's finished off almost half a 5oz can of Supreme Supper!!!

12. Barbara & Uncle (GA)

Barbara & Uncle (GA) Well-Known Member

AWESOME!!!

13. carfurby (GA)

I'm so happy to hear Spike is eating and keeps improving. Thank you for the update. Sending more prayers.

14. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

How's Mr Spike fairing today? :)

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  15. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Update later today.... :)

16. Kris & Teasel

Inquiring minds want to know! ;)

17. Squeaky and KT (GA)

SPIKE UPDATE 5/2:

Just one word...

UP!

May 2017 010a.jpg

Today was finally THE day - all 'up' blocking walls were taken out, ramp was reinstalled, room was rearranged...and UP he went!!! :) We stood back and cringed while holding our breath as he decided to come back down. The first time that back foot turned backwards and sort of dragged behind him but he didn't wobble. Back UP!! Second time down, foot still wouldn't cooperate quite right. About 60 seconds later, back UP!! This time the foot was forward going down. He was sliding it but he figured out how. ....and guess what...yep...back UP! He's now using it a bit - this is really good exercise to strengthen other muscles again. He'll probably be sore tomorrow but I bet it doesn't slow him down.

He's eating well altho' his digestive/elimination system seems to still be slow. He uses that foot lightly, even did a small 'jump' of about 18" from step over litterbox. Wasn't an overly graceful landing but for the first one, it was acceptable. I did change the litterbox location.

He goes in Saturday to have the stitches removed - it all looks good to me. I took his shirt off for a few minutes and let him roam - until he started licking his belly...shirt went back on. We've done so good so far, not about to let it get messed up on the closing stretch!

I think the pictures say it all..clickable thumbnails. :)

HUGS to all of us!

Graduation day - he wasn't too thrilled with 'inside' this time

May 2017 002a.jpg

So irritated I think I'll just wiggle until I undress myself....

May 2017 004a.jpg

Nope - clothes back on...haz you forgotten me? I iz still here...

May 2017 005a.jpg

THE move back to his redone room

May 2017 007a.jpg

More 'UP'

May 2017 009a.jpg

Checking out 'down' the first time

May 2017 011a.jpg

Checking out 'down' again - this was about 30 mins later and a clean clothes change - he doesn't get out of this set. As quick as I can hand-wash and dry it, it goes back on.

May 2017 012a.jpg

Oh I haz... UP!!!

May 2017 013a.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  18. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Lyresa,
    what a great photo report!:cool: You ARE wonderful kitty mum! Blessings!
    Many healing vines to Spike and hugs and admiration to you!
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

19. carfurby (GA)

What a wonderful update. Continuing to send prayers for his healing. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

20. Nicole Z

Nicole Z Well-Known Member

:bighug:Aw, I'm smiling so big right now for you and for Spike! I know those baby onesies too well, I had my other itchy kitty in one for months. So happy for you both!!!!!:bighug:

21. Kris & Teasel

What a wonderful report!

22. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Big yard dance!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Spike has made amazing progress! I am so thrilled and excited for you and DH!

23. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Love those pictures! Wow, Spike is a BIG cat! So happy that he is eating well and thrilled that he is getting UP again to his favorite spot. :joyful::cat:
    Lyresa, you are a fantastic mamabean!

24. Beth 73

Lyresa, what a joy to read !!!! Continued prayers forSpike's TOTAL healing and restoration....nothing less !!!!

25. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Yep he's a good size kitty and solid as a rock too. He's not as big as Doc, Snow and Bebo but he's 15 lbs of kitty....only about a pound is 'extra'.

26. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

continued healing vines and appy vines....
    Go Spike!

27. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Spike's first night 'out' - he's slept in a closed kennel at night so he wouldn't try to do anything stOOpid when he woke up early. Technically we could have his stitches removed today so I'm not worried about him tearing it open.

Guess who decided he'd had enough of those clothes overnight... :)

See me Mama? I IZ SPIKE - hear me ROAR! :) Editing to add I just realized this is his injured back foot side! Look how he's standing well on it!

May 2017 001a.jpg

Oh I iz sorre too Mama...I knowd I wasn't supposed to take dem off...

May 2017 004a.jpg

It's storming badly here - lots of lightening and thunder so he's now hiding in his kennel while the nasty stuff rolls overhead. I haven't seen him really 'walk' to judge the foot action but watched enough yesterday afternoon and evening that I trust he can handle things.

HUGS to all that visit today!!!! We're still YARD DANCING in the rain!

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  28. carfurby (GA)

He's such a beautiful kitty. That's great he is feeling so well. Sending prayers.

29. Squeaky and KT (GA)

His healing/almost healed stitches now...

May 2017 007a.jpg

30. Nicole Z

Aw, I'm so happy for you and Spike! Continued healing headed your way! Sending you both a big hug!

31. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

I am so, so happy that he is doing so well, Lyresa!!!:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

32. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

That's fantastic! When Spike gets the stitches out, you will need to take pictures!

33. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Awesome news!!!!!

34. Squeaky and KT (GA)

I'm waiting until this weekend to have the stitches taken out as I want the same vet that put them in to remove them and look at the wound. The ER is only open nights and weekends, this vet only works weekends. I wish he had a private practice...he's young, maybe someday he will. He didn't talk 'down' to me, he detailed things well without my even asking, he handled Spike respectfully but firmly. A good experience in a bad situation.

35. Squeakycats

Squeakycats Member

Just finished reading Spike's story and am so glad to see him doing so well--those stitches are healing beautifully!!!! He's such a handsome little charmer!

36. Beth 73

Hi Lyresa ... just checking in on you and Spike..have had u both on my heart extra ....continued prayers for full healing and restoring of all things Spike :)

37. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Hi Lyresa, We'll be thinking good thoughts this weekend when Spike has the stitches taken out. I'm glad that you like the ER vet.
    We are just so happy that Spike is doing well. :cat: :)

38. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Just catching up and so happy to hear Spike is doing so well. He's in the home stretch.

39. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

So glad to read Spike is doing so well. What a journey he has had!

40. Nicole Z

Awesome!

41. Squeaky and KT (GA)

UPDATE 5/6!!!!!!!!!

STITCHES ARE OUT!!!!!!!!!!! The wound is well healed, he 'sang to me' the whole way to ER and back. Now that he's back home, he's been up and down his ramp about 10 times, checked out everything to be sure it was like it should be...goofy kitty. He decided he wanted to glare at the camera - dat's my SpikerDoodle. :) It took about 5 shots to get his 'pretty' face, not his 'grumpy' face....and even that still has a touch of 'SpikeA'tude' in it.

BIG HUGS and YARD DANCE!!!!

The mostly all healed wound with stitches removed!!! (Clickable thumbnails)

SpikeStitchOut06May17.jpg

And his 'pretty face'.... :)

Spike06May17.jpg

42. Kris & Teasel

What a trooper he is! :D

43. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

:p

Sounds like he is well on his way to a full recovery. So very, very happy! :cat::bighug:

44. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

Hi Lyresa,
    heaps of keep feeling better each day vines for you and Spike. Heaps more spike a tude vines too!

45. carfurby (GA)

What a wonderful update! [​IMG]

46. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

YAY!!!! Atta boy, Spike!

47. suki & crystal (GA)

Best possible update, so happy for you both. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

48. Squeaky and KT (GA)

SPIKE UPDATE 5/17 - last one! WOOT WOOT!!

Spike is doing wonderful. That back leg may never quite work right again but he's learned to deal with it. He now runs up and down his ramp. It's sort of stiff after laying for a while but it doesn't seem to bother him. Belly wound is completely healed, not even hardly a pink line. Just look at that 'happy' written all over him. It's been a long month and 3 days but it was all SO worth it!

We have no front door access to outside now - the cat door is sealed, human door locked and covered. We'd already enclosed it and put up 'see out' and food shelves for him years ago but still had the open cat door for him to go in and out. Locked him in at night. I grin, not sure what we'll do but we rarely have company so it's probably not a big deal. Right now if someone comes to the door, we let them know we see them then go around and out the side garage door.

Spike16May17.jpg

I'm thankful that we can call this 'done and dusted' as we were blessed with these 7-8 week old babies 3 days ago. Some cold-hearted person brought them to the country at night and set them down. They aren't wild and have been handled a lot. They ran out into the road in front of a car - people called back here to neighbor who went and picked them up. We got them the next morning. They were found before they even got into fleas! They're also very healthy, no eye boogers, clean ears. HOW could someone love them like that then dump them. NO they aren't staying! As soon as they're speutered in about a month, they will be finding new homes. We've already reserved a slot for them with our local rescue.

Kittens16May17.jpg

Our thoughts and prayers continue for Wendy and Ron (Neko) as well as Molly (Scooter) who lost Elliott too.

HUGS to all that visit and share our Dance!!!!

49. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Lyresa, I am soo soo happy for Spike! :bighug::bighug:
    God bless your kindness for giving those kittens a chance. God luck with finding caring homes for them when the time is right. They are adorable!

50. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Thank you for that happy update on Spike. I love good news. :) Side note, Theo and Elliot looked a lot alike. :(

And there just aren't words for the people who dropped the kittens close to where they could be hit. :mad: Lots of good stuff to say about you though. :bighug:

51. carfurby (GA)

I've been thinking about Spike. It's great to hear, and see, he is doing so well. I'm so glad the kittens were rescued and you can help find them a good home.

52. Beth 73

This did my heart good :) Spike would blend in well with my brown boy tabby colony:). Your door story made me chuckle as we have the few visitors we have take their shoes off at the door so as not to bring in germs :). So so thrilled with Spike's miraculous recovery :)

53. Kris & Teasel

Spike looks great!! He doesn't care a fig that he has a bum leg I'm sure. :) Those three babies are precious! I hope they all get adopted into good homes and a pox on the horrible humans who left them there. :mad:

54. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Great news! I somehow missed the 5/6 update so I'm so glad to see this. Happy dance for Spike! :bighug:

Those kittens are lucky to have you until they move on. :)

55. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Hi Lyresa,
    Spike looks wonderful. What big feet he has! I'm so glad that he is doing well. He is a poster boy for what lots of loving care can accomplish. You are an amazing mamabean!
    Bummer on the people who left those sweet kittens to die! Once again, you stepped in and saved lives. I hope they will find good homes. Thank you for caring for them!

Hugs to you and Bernie and scritches for the fuzzy feetz.

56. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Thank you for the update, Lyresa. I've been wondering how Spike's recovery was going. I'm so glad he will be able to relax and enjoy life as an indoor cat from now on, safe from the wretched drooler next door!

The kittens are darling and so blessed to have a foster mama as wonderful as you are!

57. Nicole Z

Have had an insanely busy week already at work haven't been able to read many other members posts at all. I am happy to read the update on Spike! Excellent news!

58. Squalliesmom

Hi Lyresa, so glad to see this great update!!! I love the picture of Spike, what a cutie he is, and looks so pleased with himself! :cat:
    The kittens are adorable - beats me how anybody could abandon those sweet babies and put them at risk. Some people should just never be allowed anywhere near animals! I'm glad the babies have you to help them. Just hope they don't become "failed" fosters, lol......;):bighug:

59. suki & crystal (GA)

What a wonderful update Lyresa, I am so glad to read that Spike has made a full recovery under your TLC, what a lucky boy he is.

You are such an amazing bean to take in the foster kittens, I hope you find happy furever homes for them when the time comes - what dreadful soul can even think about dumping them.:(

60. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Not only NO but HECK NO!!! :) 'Stache reminded us why I said no more kittens...give me 5 seniors rather than 1 kitten! But this little orange boy has me wrapped around his heart...

Orange17May17b.jpg

Orange17May17.jpg

61. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Orange tabbies are love bugs :)

MJW and Squeaky and KT (GA) like this.
  62. Mandy & Rex (GA)

I'm with ya! I got Tanner as a 2 month old and he was terrible! When I was ready to get another cat, I was looking for a year old and brought home Keena who was 4 months old. This time, I had Tanner's help with discipline so it wasn't too bad. :cat:

63. Squalliesmom

That little ginger baby is too cute for words, lol! (Spoiler alert - I think he knows he has you wrapped around his heart! ;)) :bighug:

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  64. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Orange kittens are the best. Little Buddy started out a 1 handful and grew to 20 pounds. He was GA in July 2005.

Great to hear that Spike is doing so well and recovering what a trooper.

65. Nicole Z

I'm very late to this party but soooo excited for Spike reading these updates! Yard dance! Yeah!

66. Squalliesmom

Lyresa, I just love that last picture of Spike that you posted. Such a handsome big boy. Hope he's doing well. Hugs and headbumps! :bighug: :cat:

JeffJ and Squeaky and KT (GA) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.