4/17 calliecat amps = 348

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by calliecat an marty, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calliecat an marty

calliecat an marty Member

good morning all !!

recap :

4/16 neg ketones shot 1 unit
    amps = 406
    + 4 = 360
    + 7 = 311
    pmps = 350 shot 1 unit
    + 4.5 = 322
    + 7 = 289

4/17 neg ketones shot 1 unit
    amps = 348

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

She already is looking better today than yesterday...fingers crossed that the trend continues. :D

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

3. calliecat an marty

callies + 4 = 379

I don't know what to think she has been on 3 cycles of 1 unit = 6 shots of 1 unit should I raise tonight to 1.25 ??

when I was talking with the vet about switching callie to levemir , she said if callies numbers don't improve she would like to do an ultra sound on callie ! I have a blood pannel done every 3 to 4 months and her last was done on Feb 27th everything came back ok and urine sample no infections , callie had a dental done in october and she had her teeth cleaned but all teeth were good ( a little gingavitious ) she was on claxamox for that ! do you think there is something else going on with callie I'm not catching?? she is mantaining her weight ( actually she has gained 8 oz since november) and the last time she had a blood pannel done I asked the vet to take a look at calllie mouth again she said it all looked good !!

I don't want to rush things but I just wish callie was seeing more yellows cat_pet_icon :YMHUG:

4. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

I would not raise the dose after only 3 cycles. Minimum settle time is 6 cycles, that's from the Tilly protocol, but I think it is more like 10 cycles. And some cats need more time than that. Besides, raising the dose too quickly can cause swings to start happening and you have to lower the dose more times to stop them - so, haste makes waste.

I would not say there is anything else wrong that you are missing and without symptoms or lab tests showing a reason for an ultrasound that is just a crazy idea. Ultrasounds are very expensive and can be stressful. They have to shave her belly and, of course, it is a trip to the vet. She is acting well and her labs indicate she is well. You just haven't nailed down the diabetes regulation, but that is probably because she wasn't on the right insulin before.

It took me over 6 months to get Beau regulated (on vetsulin), but it has taken over two years to get Jeddie to decent numbers - although he is still not cruising along in predictable numbers. I only have him, mostly, below renal threshold. I still get PS that vary from 90s to upper 200s.

5. calliecat an marty

thank you Sheila , I will keep callie at 1 unit she still does the 5 p's :lol: she is always cleaning herself cat_pet_icon the vet just gets me going sometimes ( alot really) callie and I want to thank you for all your advise :YMHUG:

callies + 7.5 = 327

6. hmjohnston

hmjohnston Well-Known Member

I'm not a person to answer for dosing but will say that I did keep Sneakers on her first dose for a full week. It was only after that she started to stabilize into a nice yellow and pink curve and stopped swinging from yellows to reds (or blacks) and back down again.

And I decided early on to keep her at one dose for a full week as well- Sneakers loves to hold on to stuff- mainly carbs (which is why I will wait a week from starting her on 3% carbs before changing the dose again, even if it isn't on my dose change day).

AND I have the added frustration that if she doesn't have food every two or three hours her numbers climb quickly through the ROOF so I have to juggle times closely to get a fasting number :lol: .

7. calliecat an marty

callies pmps = 404

callie twitched alot again after her shot and it was not cold, I warmed it between my fingers , I did that with the prozinc to! she got real agressive towards her sister to growling at her I had to stand between them ????

I draw callies shot up right before I check her , her shot time is 9/9 so I draw shot up and check her at 8:45 then feed her and give her shot at 9:00

8. calliecat an marty

I made a mistake my brain is not working lately ! callie has been on 1 unit now for 7 cycles I think for am shot I should raise to 1.25 units what do ya think??

9. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Well, that's probably OK, I just hate to see you rush the increases and end up with swings. I would say that you should give more settle time after this or the next increase as 1.5u will be nearing her best previous dose - like at least 10 cycles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.