4/18 Phoenix AMPS 69

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Scdal, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Scdal

Scdal Member

@Bandit's Mom
    Phoenix was +89 at +11. Now, it is time for his AMPS and he is at 69. I have never shot that low. Should I shoot or wait?

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I would not feed Phoenix and stall. You have a dropping number between your +11 and AMPS. Wait for 20 min and re-test.

Can you afford to be off schedule and will you be around to monitor? Do you have HC on hand if it's needed?

3. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

You have shot a 70 before. He is dropping and it's possible that he may continue to drop without food.

When did he last eat?

4. Scdal

Scdal Member

I noticed that once before I shot at 70. I went ahead and fed him & was about to give his insulin. Do you think it would be okay? I am home to monitor. I just checked again and Phoenix has dropped to 65 after 20 minutes. Now what should I do?

5. Bandit's Mom

70, 69, 65 are all the same number given meter variance. If you can monitor you can shoot. Get a +1. Feed higher carbs then if necessary.

6. Scdal

Scdal Member

Phoenix last ate at his PMPS last night. He did have one piece of turkey at + 6 when his BG was 227.

7. Bandit's Mom

Ok. I thought you had started feeding him at +8/+9 since he loves those late cycle drops. :rolleyes:

ETA: Please take out the 911. Thanks! :)

8. Scdal

Scdal Member

Thank you, the 69 just shook me up. I just gave his injection & he had dropped to 65. I think that I had better give him a larger snack at +9 even when his BG is still over 200. Phoenix seems to drop fast. This is why I don't use a timed feeder. I think I need to get up and check his BG.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Bhooma -

The +11 was an 89. It's more than meter variance with an AMPS of 69.

Remember, if you shoot a dropping number, there is downward momentum. The food may help to offset that downward trend but the insulin will then kick in. It could be a very busy AM cycle. If you do not have a great deal of experience with managing low numbers, you need to keep this in mind. Since you shot, please monitor frequently and start with a +0.5 and a +1. You do not want to be caught off guard with numbers dropping.

10. Bandit's Mom

Yes, I understand. :) I meant meter variance for the 70 she has shot a few days back, 69 that she got at AMPS and the 65 after stalling.

11. Scdal

Scdal Member

Phoenix is now at 79 at +.50. I am sure he will be fine because he usually goes up a minimum of 100 points after eating. I will monitor every 20 minutes until I think he is safe.

Bhooma, you have always given me excellent advice and I think you made the right call today. I believe this is my fault that Phoenix dropped so low. I have been trying to play his numbers. If Phoenix has high numbers at his +9, I would only give him a very small snack. If his numbers were lower, I would give him a larger snack.

I think that I had better give him a regular size snack from now on no matter what his BG is. Thank you for your help and have a good evening.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  12. Bandit's Mom

Hi Susan

Thank you got your kind words.

Has Phoenix gone up only 14 points after his morning meal? 65 to 79? If he is not much higher at +1, I wonder if you may need to give him a little MC then.

And yes, looks like a snack at +9 would indeed help. They like to keep us guessing! :)

13. Scdal

Scdal Member

Phoenix has gone up to 101 at + 1. I will check again in 30 minutes but I am sure he will keep rising. I am going to monitor him very closely today.

Tomorrow is his birthday! Phoenix will be 18 years old. He is more active now than his has been in over 5 years. Phoenix is in and out of the house all day and playing with his toys. This week, he jumped 8 feet in the air trying to catch a duck. It does my heart good to see him feeling great.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  14. Bandit's Mom

Happy Birthday to Phoenix in advance! :bighug: Wow! 18!
    It is indeed so heartening to see them regain their zest for life once they get regulated!

15. Scdal

Scdal Member

Thank you for your advice and my taking so long to respond. It has been quite a hectic morning. I will continue to monitor Phoenix all day. From now on, he will get a midnight snack even if his numbers are a little high. I feel this was mostly my fault by trying to influence his numbers by food. Have a great day and I really appreciate your concern.

16. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

It looks like all is good - and that's all that matters.