? 4/18 Tucker PMPS: 9.7

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tucker, Apr 18, 2022.

1. Tucker

Tucker Member

Hi There,
    Could some of you experts please take a look at Tucker's new SS for me? He looks fabulous one day with cruising in the blues and then will have a big bounce (and this time we are sure he hasn't gotten hold of any Twinkies or chewed through a bag of sourdough bread). Behaviourally, he is grumpy when his BG is above 16, and a cat who never has accidents inside the house actually urinated in a box he likes to sleep in-right next to his dad last week! He's had 3 other accidents this month and that is something we have not had happened since his first diagnosis 4 years ago. We have a nice cat run outside and a very large litter tray in it. I noticed last night he sprayed sideways instead of squatting into the litter....also new and unwelcome!

Just about a month ago he had been at a steady dose of 1.6 Lantus, no behavioural issues and a stable kitty. Then a sudden hypo followed by decreases of his insulin and a few big bounces...a peeing in the house.

Our vet texts me regularly and has asked us to hang tight with the 1 unit twice a day for a month, with directions to call or text her at home any time I get a BG of 5 or less to discuss how to proceed at that time. Tucker tends to get really sick after gravy food or honey when he dips too low so our vet has us doing medium carb and lots of extra tests when we do get a low test. Enough carbs to get him out of danger but not a blast of sugar that is going to make him sick for 2 days, just a gentler approach to dealing with a hypo because of his history.
    Other health issues:
    1. He's had a couple of minor flare ups of pancreatitis but bounced back within a day of extra fluids and pain relief.
    2. Last year he had a tooth removed. In December we were told his teeth looked good now.
    3. Over the last 2 years he has had 3 mast cell tumours removed. I've noticed a couple of small (pimple-size) new growths on his arm and on his back near the tail.
    Does anyone have any information about correlations between mast cell tumours and diabetes??

Any opinions would be appreciated.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Patty,:bighug:
    I’m impressed with the new SS as I know you see having trouble signing into the forum again and it wasn’t up and running until recently

Sheba used to do that…and she was a girl! Very frustrating when it didn’t stay in the LB.
    Have you had his urine checked to see if there is an infection?
    Also maybe he has FLUTD……Sheba had that and it is painful and they can avoid the litter box because they associate it with pain. Google it and see what you think. I thought Sheba was having repeated UTIs when it was in fact FLUTD.

I have zero experience with mast cell tumours so can’t really comment on them. I would add it to your subject line …Questions about mast cell tumours …to alert people
    I’ll tag @Suzanne & Darcy as she may know something or someone who does.
    Also @tiffmaxee

3. Tucker

Tucker Member

Thanks, Bron. You’ve been a Godsend!

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Sorry but I don’t know about mast cell tumors either.

Does Tucker handle honey or karo well? You can always add a little to his lc to make mc or to the mc to make hc.

5. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

It may be the mast cell tumors causing higher BG. In fact, it is likely because mast cells produce inflammatory substances. Of course, there may also be a combination of factors at work here.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  6. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Of course you already know that pancreatitis flare ups and urinary tract infections and FLUTD and dental problems- and any pain or inflammation really- can cause BG to be difficult to manage. Your spreadsheet doesn’t look too bad at all. I think your sweet kitty may just be a bit bouncy.

7. Tucker

Tucker Member

He’s done my head in this morning! After a nice greens, blues, yellows weekend he jumped into the red for no reason at all! AMPS 301, +3 409, +5 356.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.