4/19 8pm Gizzy, not feeling well, amps=272, +3=247, +6=215, +9=342, Ket neg

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Gizzy&Mom, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Gizzy&Mom

Gizzy&Mom Member

I'm trying to put some weight back on Giz, also keep ketones from developing by feeding him extra. Right now I'm giving him 1 can FF chicken feast pate every time I test his BG. I realize this is changing his glucose measurement. I'm wondering what the priority is, weight gain and no ketones or dosing him to what he'll be eating once he's back up to normal weight. There's more info on his situation within the included link. I hope that all makes sense. Thank you! https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/4-18-gizzy-amps-325-9-286.246312/

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

It’s very important to feed enough to prevent ketones and DKA. Did he have either at diagnosis? His dose is based on his current needs. As his bg gets into more numbers he won’t need as much food. Right now he needs to eat as much as he needs. As long as you feed lc the amount of food won’t raise the bg. Did I answer your question?

3. Gizzy&Mom

Gizzy&Mom Member

Yes you did, thank you. He did have 50 KET in urine on Thursday, she said it was not DKA but he was headed that way. Giz gets to binge! ;)

tiffmaxee likes this.
  4. Gizzy&Mom

Gizzy&Mom Member

Gizzy isn't feeling well again today. I need to get him in for a CBC tomorrow which is what I asked for on Thursday and didn't get. He's lethargic, feels warm but I can't get his temp, doesn't seem to be dehydrated and is eating well, I tested ketones tonight and it was neg. Any thoughts??

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good news on the negative ketones. And that he's eating well. I'd make it a bit soupy so he gets lots of liquids in him.

Do you have any anti-nausea meds at home like Cerenia or ondansetron (Zofran)?

You are probably seeing a little New Dose Wonkiness with the BG today. New Dose Wonkiness (NDW) and failed reductions

6. Gizzy&Mom

Gizzy&Mom Member

I do have Cerenia! I didn't think of that. Thank you!