4/19 Haley - AMPS 84, +4.5 49, +5 60, +5.5 64, + 7 109, +9.75 62, PMPS 63

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Haleysmom, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Haleysmom

Haleysmom Well-Known Member

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Haley is looking good. I hope she keeps surfing safely today.

Haleysmom likes this.
  3. Haleysmom

Ty, Carla. She's off to a good start! :joyful::joyful::joyful:

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Looking good, Haley!!

Haleysmom likes this.
  5. Haleysmom

I just tested her. She's at 49 at + 4.5. I gave her HC. Test her in a half hour? I’m getting nervous.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  6. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Looks like she came up quickly :) I think she should be able to surf on LC now.

Tagging @Chris & China (GA) on whether to reduce to 1 drop since this was cycle 4 on 0.1U or hold the dose a little longer.

Haleysmom likes this.
  7. Chris & China (GA)

I think we can try the 1 drop dose.

I think Haley's just about done with this foolishness (as she see's it anyway)

Haleysmom and Bandit's Mom like this.
  8. Bandit's Mom

To measure a drop dose, push the plunger of the empty syringe in fully, keep it pressed and insert in the pen. Let go of the pressure on the plunger and it will draw a drop. When you insert the needle into Haley, push the plunger and count to ten if she will let you.

Haleysmom likes this.
  9. Haleysmom

Ok, ty Bhooma! Will wait for Chris regarding reducing the dosage or not.

10. Bandit's Mom

She has posted above and asked you to reduce to the 1 drop dose :)

Haleysmom likes this.
  11. Haleysmom

Lol, she and I, both! Ty very much, Chris! Will do!

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  12. Haleysmom

Ok, ty, So much!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  13. Haleysmom

Just saw it. Ty! :)

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  14. Haleysmom

With the one drop dose, should I be expecting lower numbers like I would normally be nervous about, but she would really be ok ... Like in the 40s or 50s?

15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

To tell you the truth, I don't think you need to do the 1 drop dose. If you read the TR protocol, the recommendation is to try a 0.1 unit dose before going off of insulin. You did that, Haley dropped low. We use the 1 drop dose for kitties that still have some blue in their spreadsheet and need to spend some more time in the healing range.

Unless you took her BG before she became diabetic, it's hard to say what her normal BG would be. I've tested my non diabetics at home and gotten low 50's and upper 40's.

Haleysmom likes this.
  16. Haleysmom

That makes sense. I might just test my other kitties. Ty!

17. Chris & China (GA)

I think you could go ahead and start your OTJ trial. Like I said above, I think Haley is probably done with diabetes. She tried it, she's decided to take up another hobby like knitting ;)

Have you seen the OTJ Trial instructions?

• Start the trial on the next green pre shot.
    • If she is green at your normal test times, no need to test further until the next "PS" time; just feed small meals and go about your day. If she is blue at your normal "PS", feed a small meal and test again after about 3 or 4 hours. If her number is lower 3-4 hours after a meal, then the pancreas is working!
    • Post every day so we can monitor your progress and see if any tweaks are needed. Be sure you include “OTJ Trial Day xx” in your subject line with the “xx” being the day of the trial.
    • She may have a sporadic blue number. Don't panic but post before you decide whether to shoot so we can have a discussion.
    • After 14 days of no insulin, we have a party!!
    Sometimes the trial doesn't work the first time and we have to give a little more support in the form of resuming insulin. It's not the end of the world if that happens; we just give her the support needed. Our goal is a strong remission and it's better to take our time to get that than to rush into remission just to have it fail later on.

Once she is through the trial successfully, you enter a new phase. Your cat is still diabetic but has now become diet-controlled. Continue feeding low carb food in the manner successful for your kitty. If you decide to change her feeding schedule, let your meter be your guide to the best times to feed. Avoid medications with sugar in them and steroid medications unless they are medically essential. Continue testing blood glucose weekly for the first month and then monthly forever. It's a good idea to weigh her monthly. Weight should remain stable. If she seems "off" or sick, or is showing signs of diabetes (excessive drinking, eating, urinating, weight loss), test her blood glucose right away. Keep the teeth and gums clean and healthy; dental issues can bring a cat out of remission. If you see rising blood glucose numbers, it's time for a visit to the vet!

Haleysmom likes this.
  18. Haleysmom

I understand stand One question... Once she is through the trial successfully, if I see rising glucose numbers, it’s time for a visit to the vet. What is the vet able to tell me that you guys aren’t able to tell me here?

19. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The vet can tell you if there is a medical reason for rising numbers. It could be something as simple, and common, as needing a dental. Some things can only be seen visually, or via bloodwork.

Haleysmom likes this.
  20. Chris & China (GA)

If there's a UTI brewing, if she has a bad tooth or needs a cleaning, or any other problem that might throw her out of remission (and once taken care of, may allow her to go back into remission)

Haleysmom likes this.
  21. Haleysmom

Makes sense. Ty!

22. Haleysmom

Gotcha. Ty!

23. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Just here to say yahoo :D Go Haley! This is so exciting, Shirley - good job sticking with it :bighug: Will keep an eye out for your OTJ trail posts :D

Haleysmom likes this.
  24. Haleysmom

Ty, Susanne! I'm soooo excited. Crying happy tears for the second time today. Thank you all for helping us get this far! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

JaxBenji likes this.
  25. Haleysmom

Ty, ty, ty all for helping us get here! Her beautiful little life is going to be so much better! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

JaxBenji likes this.
  26. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

So for your title, you get to change the PMPS (PM Pre Shot) to PMBG (PM Blood Glucose) since not shot happened :D Tomorrow, your title will read something like "04/19 Haley - OTJ Trial Day 1 - AMBG XX" (you'd replace XX with the AM reading :)). Yippeeeee!

Haleysmom likes this.
  27. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

I kinda thought Haley was heading this way.:D Best of luck with the OTJ trial!

Haleysmom likes this.
  28. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Congratulations and n starting the OTJ trial :cat:

Haleysmom likes this.
  29. Haleysmom

Ty Lyla!

30. Haleysmom

Ty so much, Diane!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  31. Haleysmom

Ty, Susanne! I’ll fix it! ❤️

32. Chris & China (GA)

On very important thing you need to know now....No insulin means no hypo! So even if she does drop below 50, you don't need to do anything.

33. Haleysmom

What a relief! Ty, Chris!