4/2 My sweet Max is gone

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Max & Lori, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Max & Lori

Max & Lori Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, I want to thank all who have supported us through our journey these past almost 3 years, one last time. Max continued to deteriorate, especially bad this past weekend. He never could recover from when he saw the IM vet. Everything went downhill quickly from there. He stopped eating, his hind legs were extremely weak and unsteady and his quality of life was very poor. I still have so many mixed emotions about our last visit there at the IM vet, but there’s no point in holding onto that now. As difficult as it was, we had to let Max cross rainbow bridge yesterday. It has broken my heart so badly, I don’t know how I will ever be the same. I miss him so much. I loved my sweet boy with every ounce of my being and I did everything that I could for him, but his little body just gave out. He has taken a big chunk of my heart with him. I loved him all of his life and I will miss him for as long as I live. One thing I will always remember is that Max used to take his paws and put them around my neck when I’d pick him up (as if he were giving me a hug). As weak as he was yesterday, while I was holding him and the doctor was injecting him, Max gave me one last hug with his other paw then took his last breath. I’ve rarely seen my husband cry, but he did then. And me, well I can’t stop crying. I don’t know when my heart will ever heal, but there will never be another Max. He was the sweetest kitty there’s ever been and he did not deserve all that he’s been through. It’s hard to understand how something so sweet and innocent has to endure such a difficult time in his life, but I tried my best to give him the most love and care possible. I sure miss him and will always love him. I hope he knew just how much he was loved.

I love this quote: “How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” ~ Winnie the Pooh

This is a picture of the first day we got Max, and the other is a painting of the white kitty, Gabriel who we had before Max. I added to the picture and painted Max on there too. It’s painted on an old window. It’s very special to me, especially now. I’m also going to write him a poem whenever I can start feeling a little more peace. It’s really hard, as some of you know.

Thank you all once again. FDMB was truly a blessing to us. Much love to all the kitties and all of you.

upload_2024-4-2_20-59-39.jpeg

upload_2024-4-2_21-21-49.jpeg

2. cecile & bella

cecile & bella Well-Known Member

I am crying reading you. I am so sorry to read that. :bighug: It's beautiful that he gave you a hug. He knew you loved him.

Max & Lori likes this.
  3. Alicia & Kit cat

Alicia & Kit cat Well-Known Member

Oh, Lori, I'm so sorry to hear this. What a lovely relationship you had with him, and while it frankly sucks that he had to go through what he did with as sweet as he was, just from reading your posts I know you did everything you could for him. :bighug::bighug:❤️❤️

4. thornmallow__

thornmallow__ Member

What a sweet, special boy. I'm so sorry. You were the best mom he could have had :bighug:

5. Angela & Cleo

Angela & Cleo Well-Known Member

Oh ((Lori)) my heart breaks for you and I'm crying along with you. You are an amazing human and it was fitting that your Max was amazing as well. Fly free sweet Max. I'd like to think he is over the bridge playing with the soccer ball. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Basic's Mom

Basic's Mom Member

Lori,
    I am very sorry to read this. You were such a dedicated mom to Max. Without a doubt, he knew how much he was loved and cherished. I am so happy you were giving one last hug. Love your painting. The quote is very fitting. May fond memories eventually fill your heartache. Sending you love.

Max & Lori likes this.
  7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Oh Lori I am so very sorry about your sweet boy Max.
    I am crying right now about Max giving you one last hug .
    You were a wonderful Mama to Max and did everything you could for him. I know he knew how much you loved him.
    I had to let Tyler's brother go 4 years ago so I know how you feel.
    I kiss his picture every day .

What a beautiful painting you did .
    Fly high sweet Max , I'm sure you are chasing butterflies now with all the other kitties . You will never be forgotten cat_wings>o
    Take care of yourself Lori :bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

{{{{Lori and DH}}}} Tears on my keyboard.:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Our acros take up such a big piece of our heart. All the time and extra energy you need to spend with them, but they are such stalwart and brave cats. Know that you did everything you could, and more than most caregivers would do. But unfortunately with acromegaly, there is only so much you can do. No second guessing. Max was a fighter but a lover to you. I'm so glad you had that little hug at the end. He knew how much you loved him.
    Neko and all the other GA's will show him the best places at the bridge to play like a kitten again, free of his earthly body. cat_wings>o

9. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

(((Lori,))) I’m so sorry. My thoughts are with you.

I know what it’s like to lose that once-in-a-lifetime cat, the one you think of first thing when you wake up and last thing before you fall asleep, the one who gives firm but gentle loving hugs, who trusts you implicitly, would follow you to the ends of the earth, and whose eyes soften when they see you. That is true love, no doubt. Max knew it, please don’t ever question that.

Acro is cruel. There’s only so much one can do, and yet even then it’s hard not to wonder “what if.” That’s human nature, I suppose, especially when we love them so darned much and they have been like the energizer bunny, always managing to pull off some seemingly miraculous recoveries. It is so hard to accept that this time too couldn’t have been different.

Please take care of yourself. That deep bond grew over time, and it takes time to adjust to a new normal. I’d like to think Max is still with you, maybe just in a different form. It’s okay to still talk to him; sometimes I swear they answer. :bighug:

Max & Lori and Marje and Gracie like this.
  10. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

(((Lori and your DH)))

My very deepest condolences are not enough to even begin to touch your grief. Sweet Max had the very best mom ever and I know he felt your great love, still feels it, and it has always been returned. I am certain our babies stay with us on this side of the veil for as long as we need them. We just have to sit with the quiet and feel their souls with us. I know as bonded as you and Max are that he will be with you. He knows your love is what gave him so many days and then set him free.

This poem by Carol Notermann has always brought me peace and hope. I hope it will do the same for you.
    The Ridge
    © 2004 By Carol Notermann

It’s been such a lovely summer, I’ve been napping in the sun.
    This morning, other cats and I enjoyed a long long run.
    We chased butterflies together. I climbed high into a tree.
    And now I think what woke me up was that small bumble bee.

I’ve yawned and stretched, and still I feel that something has begun.
    He’s standing there in robes of white, and telling me to come.
    I always run to Him you know, when He comes across the bridge
    To see if we’re all having fun and if we’ve checked the ridge.

He gives tummy rubs to all of us and pets and cuddles too
    I’m glad to see Him every day, when He comes into view.
    Each day He takes a different cat, and chats with them a while
    Then off that kitty starts to run. I swear they seem to smile.

But now He’s stopped in front of me. He’s said a name I know.
    He said to look out towards the ridge. The sun is setting low.
    I start to walk out toward the ridge, and then what’s that I see.
    IT’S YOU! IT’S YOU! It’s really you. You’ve come to be with me!

My goodness you are running and I am running too!
    You stop to bend, but I can jump and now I am with you.
    I feel your kisses on my head, as I did in long off days
    You’re holding me and hugging me, and into your eyes I gaze.

And now He’s walking with us, as you carry me once more
    We’ve crossed the bridge together. We’re here at Heaven’s door.
    And He has held it open, and told us to walk through
    That from now on and forever, I can always be with you.

:rb_icon::rb_icon::rb_icon::rb_icon:

Gentle journey, Precious Max.

11. Mikanmama

Mikanmama Well-Known Member

(((Lori)))
    I am so very sorry. This is so heartbreaking.
    You have done absolutely your best. His conditions were so medically complex, yet you have given him a wonderful gift of love and life.
    Every time I lose mine, a part of me dies with it. It is just so painful.
    Oh, Lori. So true. Yet so heartbreaking.

Beautiful picture and adorable painting. So very special.

Take care of yourself Lori. Many many many hugs. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

12. Staci & Ivy

Staci & Ivy Well-Known Member

Oh (((Lori and DH))) I can’t tell you how very sorry I am to read this. I’m crying so hard right now for and with you.
    I know how hard you fought to do everything you possibly could for your sweet Max. And he loved you so much. He fought so hard to be with you because he loved you so much.
    I know you will never forget him and I know your heart is broken and he will always be with you.
    You went to the ends of the Earth for him and those sweet, gentle hugs he gave you, even at the end, show how much he loved you. You’re the best mom and the most dedicated.

The photo of Max is just beautiful and the window with both of your kitties is such a perfect forever reminder of your sweet babies to hold dear.
    Please take care of yourself as I know life will never be the same. Thinking of you and your family with love and sending gentle hugs :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Lori I'm so sorry. You did everything you could for Max. It was obvious how much you love him. He was very lucky to have you. I love the painting. It is beautiful. Fly free sweet Max. You will be missed. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

14. Max & Lori

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  15. Max & Lori

I love this precious poem. It is so comforting. And yes, I do still feel Max near me, especially when I start crying again. I love him and miss him more than words can say. He was my soul kitty and that’s for sure. Thank you Marje for all of your advice, encouragement, and just being there.:bighug:

16. Max & Lori

Wendy, I could never thank you enough for guiding us along this long, hard journey. I am having a very hard time missing my boy right now but I want to try and let you know just how grateful I am for what you've done. All that I learned from you helped so much. I know I wouldn’t have had Max as long as I did if we didn’t have you helping us. Out of all the things you told me, the thing I always kept in my mind is Max is more than numbers, more than all of his complex problems. He didn't know he had acromegaly. He was still the same sweet boy he’s always been. I would get frustrated at times, upset at times and even depressed, but then I’d think about that and know that Max and I still had the same loving bond we always have had, sometimes I think even more because he needed me so much. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Wendy. I wish you all the best. I don’t know you personally, but I think you are just a super wonderful person, especially because of your passion to help everyone and their kitties here by sharing your experiences and knowledge. Acromegaly is so cruel and you know that very well, but thank you for helping us in getting diagnosed and managing everything as best we could. Much love to you.:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

17. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

I am so sorry you and Max had to go through all of this. We don't know why some cats have to suffer with so many issues. But I am sure he was at the best place with the best mum taking care of him. Such a beautiful picture of the two of you together! I can see the love and trust in it. All the best for you! :bighug:

Staci & Ivy and Max & Lori like this.
  18. Max & Lori

Thank you everyone. I just don’t have the words to say how much my FDMB family has meant to us over the last few years. I wish everyone and their kitties the very best.:bighug:

19. Karolina KJ & Nestle

Karolina KJ & Nestle Well-Known Member

Oh Lori,
    Although I didn't follow your journey with Max, my heart breaks for you reading your post. He seemed to be such a sweet kitty and I love how he'd give you a hug. Especially that one last time. I trust all FD kitties that left before him will guide him across the rainbow bridge and show him all the best spots to nap and play.
    Fly hight Max, you were so loved ❤️ cat_wings>o:rb_icon:

upload_2024-4-3_10-29-23.png

20. Max & Lori

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  21. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’m crying too reading about the last hug. You did everything right! My Max and all the others who have crossed will show him around and are waiting to greet him. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

22. JLS12

JLS12 Member

I didn't follow Max's story, but know how hard it is to let them go. The last hug says to me of course he knew how very much he was loved. :bighug::bighug:

Max & Lori and Staci & Ivy like this.
  23. Deb and Tiger

Deb and Tiger Member

I am so sorry, I know how hard it is to say goodbye but he will always be with you as you carry him in your heart. Hugs…

24. Max & Lori

Thank you for all that you said JL. What you said is exactly how I’m feeling. I keep thinking he’s going to be there when I walk into the house, or in another room, or when it’s dinner time, or bed time. I’d get my coffee in the morning and crawl back into bed to read. I’d say come and let’s have our coffee Max. Of course he didn’t have any, but he always laid right next to me when I’d have mine, every day. He’d cuddle on my pillow and sleep in my hair at night sometimes too. He was the sweetest boy and I miss him so much. Thank you for everything.:bighug:

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  25. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

(((((@Max and Lori)))) I am so sorry to read this, my heart is breaking for you.:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: At night when you look up at the sky, be sure to look for the newest brightest star, it is Max's star shining down on you. You gave Max his very best life and there is no doubt in my mind how much he loves you and will live in your heart forever. That last hug, so precious and what a special memory.

(I hope you do write that poem, make a memorial garden or maybe a picture album but whatever you do, please make sure all your pictures if taken digitally, are properly backed up securely. I lost many of my most recent ones of Tiger because my laptop at that time crashed and could not be recovered.)

The quote you mention was always one of my favorite ones, and here's another Winnie the Pooh quote that I love as well. Darn it, I can't add the picture.

If there ever comes a day that we can't be together, keep me in your heart and I will live there forever!

26. NadineTheodore

NadineTheodore Member

My condolences.:( It's always difficult saying goodbye but know that there's not many people out there who would have fought as hard as you did. He was really lucky to have you as his mom. cat_wings>o

Max & Lori likes this.
  27. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Oh my heavens, Lori. I am so sorry. I don’t have any special or comforting words right now. What good are they. I am just blown away. Max is gone. I can’t believe it. I just can’t believe it. I can’t understand it. I am so so sorry. I hope we can still talk I am so sorry that I didn’t know this and I feel awful about it. I am crying so hard. Max gave you a hug. How precious.