4/20 can I use an expired pen of lantus

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Marcy, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Marcy

Marcy Member

I'm very nervous. My baby is about to switch to lantus. My vet wants him to and so am I. But I'm so nervous. I can't afford to get the lantus right now, but a great soul is sending me two unused vials. But they have expired in February of this year. Are they still good? I know you can use them past what the pharmacy says, but I'm assuming that's within the "use before" date. Can someone please advise? I hope my title of my thread is ok.

2. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

Hi Marcy, welcome to the forum. I don't have an answer to your question, sorry. However, I would suggest you change your title to your specific question "Can I use an expired vial of Lantus"?

My guess is that expired lantus will not cause hurt, but might have lower efficacy. Someone might have a better answer, but worst case scenario you can monitor and see if it has any effect?

Marcy likes this.
  3. Marcy

Marcy Member

Thank you! Will change it

4. Marcy

Marcy Member

Not sure how to change the title. Sorry, not on here much

5. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Marcy. Welcome to this site. I am confused with your spreadsheet. You are showing test into May and we are not there yet. Can you update you spreadsheet to show current tests? The Lantus might still be good if it has been refrigerated. I don't know. There is a great place in Canada that you can buy Lantus from at a decent price. I think it is called Mark's Marine. We need to bring in some of the more experienced folks here to help you.

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Go to your original post at the top and you should see "thread tools". Click there and you can edit your subject line.
    upload_2021-4-20_16-35-32.png

I think she just did an "oopsie" and has April as month 5 instead of 4....LOL

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It should be fine....most drugs are good for at least a year past the expiration date on the label. Just make sure it's clear with no "floaties".

When you do get fresh insulin, remind people that you had been using insulin that had officially expired in February so whoever advises you at that time can take that into consideration....that it may not have been 100%

8. Marcy

Marcy Member

Ugh! Lol my brain is messed up. Thank you. It's April numbers

9. Marcy

Marcy Member

Thank you!