4/20, Meeps AMPS 250/ 138 +2.5 (1st month of diabetes)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Meeps' Momma, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Meeps' Momma

Meeps' Momma New Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...-need-to-increase-dosing.245526/#post-2770192

Hi everyone,
    I'm just checking in to see if anyone has any feedback on the spreadsheet for my cat Meeps.
    We are 1 month in from his initial diagnosis and start of insulin ( started testing a few days after we began insulin because I found this group and I really believe you all helped save me from ODing my cat on insulin.) We were originally prescribed 3U Lantus 2x day and even though we are working our way towards that now, he was NOT doing well starting off that high. Today is our 3rd day on 2.5U and I think I will hold here for a few more days before moving to 2.75, does that seem right? Trying to see if I can get him safely to the green, but I'm glad we are having mostly blue days.

Thanks!
    Sam

2. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Hi. With those lower blue nadirs and with Meeps being new to numbers under 200, I would not increase. I would hold the dose for two more days before increasing. And over the next couple of days, do you think you can get a few more midcycle tests, especially at night? Many cats often go lower at night, and without testing we don't know how low Meeps is going.

Another observation: Meeps has dropped significantly between AMPS and +2.5. When the +2 is lower than AMPS, this is generally a sign that the cycle is going to be active, and that means kitty will continue to go even lower. So please get some more tests this cycle if you can. If you cannot, I would leave food out for him so that he stays safe.

Meeps' Momma likes this.
  3. Meeps' Momma

Meeps' Momma New Member

Thank you for taking the time to look through this and help me! That sounds good, I will keep this dose for a while and keep doing more testing.
    I will try to get more at night. On the days I work really early (waking up between 3:30-5am) I test him before I leave for work and then my boyfriend tests and feeds when he wakes up. I'll try to see if I can stay up later to get some more tests at night. I can definitely get more during the day because one of us is usually home.

Butters & Lyla likes this.