4/21 Darcy PMPS 95 skip (won't be home and he's too unpredictable) Cat Photo Attached.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Suzanne & Darcy, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Well, it's a good thing I decided to get up last night and keep checking him. He's dropped low again on the 15 units (not dangerously low when I was doing my tests, but lower than I want him to be at night!) He was 78 at midnight. I didn't like this. Gave 1 tsp. HC, 1 a.m. he was at 83. 2 a.m. he was at 77 (I figured at this point he was going to stay low, but mostly stable since he hadn't shown signs of significant drops). I left him alone until 4 a.m. and then I did not test but just checked up on him to make sure he looked okay/normal. He was fine so I didn't test anymore until 5:45 a.m. for his AMPS... which was 67 (fun). I probably should have skipped entirely, but decided to shoot half a dose of 8 units (rounded up to 8 units) instead of 15 units. It's about +2 now, so I'll test again... but here's what's really bothering me (except that he really has very little appetite)....

He is definitely showing signs of having problems with using his back legs. First, this morning he started shaking his hind right leg like it was bothering him. My daughter picked him up to clean his back foot... thinking that he had stepped in kitty litter and had something stuck in his back foot paw pads. There was nothing there. Watching him, he's definitely wobbly on the back legs and not walking all the way up on his foot properly. He had trouble getting up the stairs... got half way up.... stopped and wouldn't go any further.

So... can a cat get diabetic neuropathy when his numbers really aren't that bad? I am surprised at this. I do know how to treat it with Zobaline/methylcobalamin and I will order some immediately, but this just perplexes me.

Well that's my long story for today... sorry to be so long-winded.

I hope to have time to check in on all of you today. Soon I will need to take Ginger to the vet to have an x-ray done of her lungs (since something was there a month ago and we started antibiotics and the nebulizer treatments).

I'm toying with the idea of bringing Darcy as well and having them run a quick in-house CBC to see if it can indicate why his appetite is so poor (hate to spend the money though.) Besides, at this point, I will have to take him in the car with me anyway since he may drop low. I would be away from the house for a few hours. Decisions.

yesterday: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...04-7-108-10-111-pmps-111.246372/#post-2779731

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Ginger's vet visit goes well. I wonder if Darcy has arthritis starting? It sounds like he may need to see the vet to get an accurate answer. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

3. Suzanne & Darcy

Thanks. Well, he's quite wobbly in his back legs.

4. Suzanne & Darcy

Well, he's gotten no food bump to speak of from his morning (2t. - 1T) food. So he's at 71 at 2.25 and the insulin won't really have kicked in at all... so he will be dropping from here. Probably going to have to reschedule the vet visit just to take care of him for the next few hours?

5. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

This is very scary about his back legs. I hope the vet can determine what the issue is. Don't forget the post about "How low is too low". I can't find it now but will continue to look for it. Wish your boy would get his appetite back.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  6. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. I'm not in to Russian Roulette... and I don't intend to get up every night every few hours to test... nor am I going to have to stay home for the rest of my life (I hope).

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  7. Summer and Susie (GA)

I don't blame you, Suzanne. Although I'm sure I will get some flack on this I do worry that some cats should not be forced into really low numbers. Remember the article. I'm still looking. This is why I want to stay in the 80 - 120 range if that is at all possible. I'm not playing Russian Roulette either. Not with my kitty and not with my life.

Liz & Minnie and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  8. Suzanne & Darcy

He's at 46 (at +4) Gave at 9:35 a.m. 1.5 cc Karo and he ate some Tiny Tiger food. How many minutes for Karo to work (I assume it's faster than food). I have a kitchen timer set to re-test in 20 minutes and there are 15 minutes left on the timer now.)

9. Suzanne & Darcy

Well, I suppose it all depends on the cat and the person's lifestyle and their commitment/desire to constantly test, feed, administer karo, etc. I certainly made a dumb decision to shoot any insulin into Darcy this morning (see he's now at 46). I should have done a skip. I will now have to monitor this poor guy all day long.

10. Suzanne & Darcy

Okay. With the Karo and the food he's eaten (some LC and some mid to high carb). He's back up to 63 after 20 minutes. I'll probably re-test in 30.

11. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

New test in 20. Karo doesn't last long.

12. Suzanne & Darcy

Thanks Sasha. I didn't think Karo would last long. He's now eaten some food too. I'll check in twenty just to make sure!

SashaV likes this.
  13. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Do you have any hc food with gravy?

14. tiffmaxee

The food will take about 30 minutes to register.

15. Suzanne & Darcy

Okay. I have him back up to 88 :) but will have to keep monitoring. We are a few hours from nadir.

16. Suzanne & Darcy

I only have one can of Fancy Feast Gravy Lovers left and he's been eating that.

17. Suzanne & Darcy

He's up to 92 @ 5.25 (that's the HC food talking). He just licked a little (very little) more of it (I left it down for him).

Our Dolly Girl (GA) likes this.
  18. tiffmaxee

You got him over 50 quickly. Good job.

19. tiffmaxee

Congrats n the reduction!

20. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes... just a few days ago we decided on a reduction of 15 units and hold it for six cycles. But Darcy told me last night and this morning that he does not like that dose at all!

Bronx's dad (GA) and tiffmaxee like this.
  21. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I think I would switch vet appt and have Darcy checked if nothing else. Maybe vet can figure out the wobbly legs.

here is a far fetched idea but could hapoen. Just maybe Darcy might go right to OTJ faster than normal. When you have a high dose acro and on cabergoline, the rule is there are no rules.

15 units still active. Wonder what 8 will do.

Suzanne & Darcy and tiffmaxee like this.
  22. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Our Dolly Girl (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Suzanne, I’ve been following Darcy’s progress this morning. Dolly’s legs are not that bad but she walks very slowly, favoring her left leg/hip, painful to watch her walk. I was giving her Zobaline but at her numbers I didn’t see how it could be neuropathy. As soon as “I” can take her to the vet I will have them check for arthritis. My vet told me the only med for this is gabapetin ( not for Dolly, puts her out for 2 days), or joint supplements. You must be exhausted, how is your back doing with all this added stress? I did a “up for 3 days straight” literally and I thought “can I live this way?” Dolly is my heart, my love, our lives revolve around her. But can’t leave the house when she is low or may get low. Have to schedule appointments around her numbers. I took on this commitment because there was no other choice for me as for most of us. I don’t know where I am going with this except I know it’s hard and often scary and exhausting and it becomes your whole life. I hope Darcy’s numbers stay at a safe place. You probably cancelled your appointment for Ginger. So glad to see Darcy is eating. I will be checking on you later. Don’t beat yourself up for any decision you make, it’s impossible to always know the outcome of our decisions. You are doing a great loving job with Darcy. Sending hugs to all of you. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: (Sorry for being so long winded and scattered):rolleyes::oops:

Kathy and tiger likes this.
  23. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sorry for the ill timed shenanigans today. :bighug: I hope you can still get him into a vet. Make sure the vet checks for arthritis too, very common in acros. It can take a while in good numbers to get over neuropathy, if that's what he has.

Back to 10 units? The poor appetite is worrisome and probably did contribute to lower numbers today.

24. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

25. Kathy and tiger

Kathy and tiger Well-Known Member

Sending love and virtual hugs your way:bighug:

26. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh Adrienne. Never apologize for being long-winded. I like your messages! You're always intuitively knowing what's going on.

Our Dolly Girl (GA) likes this.
  27. Suzanne & Darcy

Well, he certainly decided to eat more when his favorite (Tiny Tiger Turkey and Giblets) came out today. Then he at some of the HC food. I think he's done eating for now though. I just hope that he will be ready to eat dinner in a few hours. You should see him just watch me when I put food in front of him. He knows that if he does not eat I am going to put something else on his food (Pure Bites chicken pieces, tuna water, shredded chicken... something). His eyes follow me all around the kitchen while he sits at his food dish and doesn't eat.

I just don't get the low AMPS today. Yesterday's AMPS 170 and today 67??

28. Suzanne & Darcy

I wonder, too. He seems determined to slide down that dosing ladder.

29. Suzanne & Darcy

Thanks, Kathy.

30. Suzanne & Darcy

Thanks, Diane!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  31. Suzanne & Darcy

Have you ever read in the studies involving Cabergoline if loss of appetite is associated with its use in cats? Or perhaps lethargy? What were the side effects observed? only transient diarrhea at the beginning of treatment?

32. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

Hugs of healing:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:Not sure about Cabergoline side effects Amethyst did not seem to have any:cat::bighug::bighug:

33. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I only read about GI upset with cabergoline. I suppose anything is possible though.
    Another thought is humans can feel weak, foggy, tired with low glucose. Darcy isn't use to these yet, perhaps that is what it is.

If not going to be home, skipping might be best (or very very low dose, but higher doses are still active) since he is unpredictable right now.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  34. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

Oh Suzanne, you poor thing must be absolutely frazzled and exhausted. It's hard to decide which of the scenarios is most stressful but I think the not-eating is top of the list for me. I completely relate to your description of having his eyes follow you around when he won't eat the food. Madam is putting me through that today. And also completely relate to your comment on Russian Roulette. Hang in there. Mr Darcy is lucky. And Ginger, is Ginger from the canine side of the family? Definitely not a period drama character!!

35. Suzanne & Darcy

Hi Liz. I was just thinking about you and Minnie about an hour ago! I hope Minnie is still in the low ketone range and eating for you?

Ginger is a cat! A calico and she KNOWS she's a Calico (We say around here that they think they are superior to other cats and they come from the Calico planet.) She seems to be feeling better. I rescheduled her checkup to next Tuesday.

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  36. Suzanne & Darcy

A big thank you to Summer for helping me get this photo posted. She asked me how Darcy's legs were doing and I said I did not know because this is what he's been up to for the last several hours...
    IMG_4623.jpg

37. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

I am going to post! Needed a break. Ketones still at 0.4 (phew) and eating but being picky after I tried to sneak the pill into her food, she wouldn't take the pill pocket today.

Just when I think I know your feline family, another one creeps in! Darcy, Bingley, Jane, Emma, Tinkerbelle and Ginger.

Darcy looks so peaceful and oblivious to the stress he's causing you. I love the little black racing stripe on the back of his hind leg. He has beautiful markings. He also is very worthy of this today :cat: :banghead:

38. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hey Suzanne,he sure is a beauty, I hope the vet can figure out the hats going on with her legs. Poor baby. I hope she's eating better . I hope Ginger's check up goes well ♥:bighug::bighug:

39. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

40. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Love the pic! Neko had the exact same bed, same colour. Had to buy two of them, cause she wanted it all to herself.:cat:

Call it a depot drainer tonight. Makes it sound more intentional. ;) I haven’t heard much about prolonged lack of appy on cabergoline. I get played with the “fuds no good without treat sprinkles on top” too. As for lethargy in lower numbers, I like to compare higher BG’s to caffeine. When you lower your caffeine intake, you feel unwell. Neko hid under the bed for her first greens but was playful in pink. So glad when that switched up.

Bronx's dad (GA) likes this.
  41. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

What a sweet sweet photo of Darcy! I just want to pick him up and squish him. :smuggrin:

Darcy's spreadsheet shows a very different cat from a few weeks ago. I'm sure you are one tired mama to everyone! How is your back doing? Sending good vibes and big hugs! :bighug::bighug:

42. Kathy and tiger

Kathy and tiger Well-Known Member

I just set Darcy as my background photo! He is the spitting image of our Tiger's brother Leo(GA)cat_wings>o
    Love hugs and kisses to you Darcy!:kiss:

43. Summer and Susie (GA)

Nice safe blue when you got home last night. I hope you were able to relax and enjoy yourself.

44. Suzanne & Darcy

That's funny about the bed. Yes, Darcy definitely LOVES his new bed and doesn't want to share (even though I bought him a large one because he frequently likes to really spread out long and he's a big cat.) I may have to buy another one as well! It was on sale at Chewy.com a few weeks ago.

45. Suzanne & Darcy

I was just reading the study on the three cats from Colombia and on page 320 it talks about a cat with anorexia associated with the cabergoline and they altered the dose. @Wendy&Neko I hope you see this... if not, I'll put something in the acro group.

46. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

Sounds like a rough day yesterday! I hope today is better, and that you can catch your breath and relax a bit.

Mr. Darcy is ADORABLE! I love tabbies. I only ever had tabbies until my current two. Fred is all gray as per his profile pic, and Miss Sadie is a Calico...and definitely from planet Calico! ;-)
    :bighug::bighug: