4/22 Mocha update and food question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by PeterDevonMocha, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Good morning everyone! Well I just got home from a super quick trip down to TX to see some family .. peter stayed home and took care of the kitties .. Last night mocha was sleeping on my legs as she normally does, but she just seemed .. different .. very very lax .. it reminded me of before she was diagnosed so we checked her BG's .. she was at 85 which I know is still a decent number, but she normally surfs right in the 60's ..

About two weeks ago we had to switch her cat food .. she had been eating wal marts special kitty turkey and giblets for a few years without any problems .. but our wal mart stopped carrying it and we can't seem to find any local stores nearby that have it and when we try to order it off wal marts website they all say out of stock ..

Peter did some research and found the closest food was Friskies turkey and giblets in the pate style .. She is eating it with no problems and made the switch just fine but I'm wondering if something in it is causing her BG's to run higher then usual? We of course, plan to keep an eye on her but it makes me nervous ..

Has anyone noticed their wal marts not carrying the special kitty any more?

Other then that, all is well with her .. Still loving the beauty treatments with the Q tips and still in mourning over her boyfriend hoomy getting put away .. still super sweet and super sassy .. still rules the house with an iron claw, we all know our places and don't dare step out of them :lol:

2. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

I hope you had a good trip! Sorry, we don't use Special Kitty, but the Friskies SD is in our rotation. It is 5% carbs I think. Is that higher than the special Kitty was?

3. PeterDevonMocha

Yup, it was a good trip :D Yes, I think that is higher .. I'm pretty sure special kitty was only 4% .. hard to believe that extra 1% could raise her that much but maybe it can .. Thanks Ann!

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't feed the Special Kitty, but when I was at WalMart the other day, I did notice the slots they usually keep it in were pretty bare!

Good luck on the fuds hunt!

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I would give the Friskies another week to see if Mocha's numbers adjust. Some cats are very sensitive to food changes even if the carb counts are the same.

6. PeterDevonMocha

Thanks guys! We will give it awhile and of course, keep our eyes on her numbers! All is is well with our little girl :D

7. Lauren & Tommy (GA)

Lauren & Tommy (GA) New Member

Our Super Walmart still carries it. I feed it to the outside kitties sometimes. I too would give it just a little more time with the friskies. Like you said, 85 is still a very pretty number. Maybe stock is just low right now where you live. I hope you're having a lovely Tuesday! :smile:

8. Cleo & Jane (GA)

Cleo & Jane (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Devon, I am at work, so I cannot check, but I think the regular Friskies Turkey/Giblets are 8%. The special diet one is 5%.
    Have a great day :D

9. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Jane is correct..the regular Friskies Turkey & Giblets is listed at 8%

The Friskies Special Diet Turkey & Giblets is 5%

10. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

No ideas but wanted to stop by and say hello! The food could do it though. Glad to hear Mocha is still loving her Qtips. Have a great day Devon!

11. Tina & Rocky

Tina & Rocky Well-Known Member

LOW-CARB Canned Catfood Sun Valley Vet

Hi Devon,

I had never heard of "Special Kitty" before and sure enough, my local Walmart does not carry it. I went online to see if fish was in the ingredients of the Turkey & Giblets, and it is, but I also found a list of "low carb" cat foods that I had never seen before. I am going to post it in the Lantus- TR group. I don't know where the Sun Valley Vet is but maybe I'll call there today to see how up to date this list is.

Anyway, they list some other flavors of the Special Kitty brand that are considered low carb. Here is that list:

http://www.sunvalleyvet.com/docs/low-carb_cat_food.pdf

12. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

I was going to point out that there are two Turkey and Giblets, but others have beaten me to the punch. Be sure the one you're getting is the Special Diet (not Senior Diet or regular). That will make a difference.

I hope you get it figured out. Do I need to mention that most of us would kill for regular BGs in the 80s? ;-)

BTW, where did you get the carb info for Special Kitty? It's not on any of the lists that I have.

13. Tina & Rocky

Tricia, the carb info for all of the Special Kitty canned cat foods is on this list. I just now called this vet in Concord and I was told that they information is fairly recent, that the vet there collected it themselves. I was told that this list was *maybe* two years old, but possibly even more recent than that, as of April 22, 2014.

http://www.sunvalleyvet.com/docs/low-carb_cat_food.pdf

14. Shawna & Davidson (GA)

Shawna & Davidson (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi

Why not try to get Fancy Feast Turkey & Giblets as it's only 3% carbs..........Davidson loves it and I have been switching him between the Friskies and Fancy Feast in order to use up what we have. Good to see you're OTJ and still doing well, as Davidson is halfway through his trial and hope he can be just like you guys!!!

15. Tina & Rocky

Just wanted to let you know that Sienna said this list has different carb values than the ones given by Dr. Lisa's extensive list.

I have put a call into the vet who compiled this list to ask whether it is the "typical nutrient value" (also called "as fed value") or if it is the guaranteed analysis. Apparently the guaranteed analysis is inaccurate.

In other words, I'm not sure if the list I posted is good or not yet. I will you know as soon as I find out.

16. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Devon,
    Rusty loves Fancy Feast Turkey & Giblets. It used to spike his bgs even though it is supposed to be only 3%. But since we've been feeding it for much longer and every day (instead of as a treat, or to "bring him up") it no longer spikes him. It's worth a try. I don't know anything about the Walmart foods. I haven't ever tried the Friskies Special Diet, although I have a can of it, I think.

Good luck. Come on, Mocha. Stay in your good range!!

Hugs, scritches,

Ella & Rusty

17. PeterDevonMocha

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm not near the food cupboard but I don't believe we have been buying the friskies diet turkey and giblets .. that's probably why she gobbles it up :lol:

We used fancy feast for mocha when we first switched her, but the cans are so tiny and so pricey .. the bigger cans at the lesser amount work better for our pocketbooks ;-)

We'll check out the diet friskies and keep our fingers crossed the special kitty comes back in stock .. They did this about a year ago, but it was for a new label .. it only took about a month at the most .. but we aren't seeing any signs for it on the shelves anymore so that worries us .. nailbite_smile

Thanks again everyone!

18. HappyCat

HappyCat Member

Unfortunately Walmart changes their stock a lot. I haven't noticed at my store if it's still there or not but I've noticed a lot of the times I'll have problems finding something then it magically reappears with a new label.
    Friskies is a good alternative carb and price wise. I tend to stock up on big cans and refrigerate what he'll eat later - saves me the stampede that occurs every single time I open a can and is very cost effective.
    It's good that you're keeping an eye on the numbers but diet is a consideration (adjusting to new food and carb amounts) and overall you're still looking great. Jerry hasn't had insulin since Valentine's Day and had his OTJ party 2/27. In that time I don't think he's been below an 80 so sometimes they just think it's fun to surf. I'd be concerned if you start hitting consistent blues since your normal was much lower.
    Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.