? 4/23 Benny AMPS 400 +5 57 +6 112 PMPS 516

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ben&Squirrel, Apr 23, 2022.

1. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

Benny has been all over the place today and I can't figure out why.

His AMPS of 400 is not out of range for him. The +5 of 57 was lower than I expected. I fed him a packet of Weruva Chick Magnet; he ate almost the entire thing. His +6 went up to 112.

He was really upset about the ear stick at +6, and afterward, hid for several hours.

He came out in time for his PMPS, which was 516.

This seems an extreme swing. I've tested the meter on myself and it seems okay. Is this part of a bounce?

Can anyone help me understand the picture of today's BGs? I don't understand his going so low and then so high.

Thanks for the help!

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

He’s high now because of the low nadir. It caused him to bounce. We have no idea what happened last night because you only got a pmps. It’s common for cats to be all over the place at first, especially if the nadir is low. He’s also had so many different doses that it makes it hard to know what he will do. You really need to pick a dosing method. You also need a dose you can shoot every 12 hours. Lantus likes consistency.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  3. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

I'm meeting with the vet next week (I know I do not actually need her approval) and plan to go to SLGS. She wanted me to try 2u in the morning and 1u in the evening for a few days; it does not seem like that is going great, although it has just been a couple of days.

He has become so resistant to the ear sticks that I've been trying to save them for when I really need them. I could not even get to him today between +6 and PMPS. We are going to try the Freestyle Libra and I hope that works for him. I don't know what I'm going to do if he won't allow the ear sticks. He's become even angrier at the idea of a paw stick. He's really strong at 15 lb and struggles hard.

Should I be more time-conscious or calorie-conscious about feeding? Right now I've been feeding whenever he is hungry. I pick up the food 2 hours before AMPS and PMPS but not otherwise.

4. tiffmaxee

Your vet’s dosing makes no sense. I think it’s why the bg is so inconsistent. If you choose SLGS he earned a reduction to 1.75 with the bg of 57.

How is Ben’s weight? If underweight feed as much as he wants. If overweight I’d try and feed most of the calories the first half of the cycle. They often get very hungry when the bg is high or low.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with what Elise has said about dosing. Your vet does not understand dosing with Lantus. Lantus likes consistency, not giving one dose in the am and another in the pm.

6. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

Benny is a little overweight, although he has lost weight since the diabetes began. When you say "most of the calories the first half of the cycle" do you mean during the day?

I will talk to the vet tomorrow about the dose. Would you @tiffmaxee @Bron and Sheba (GA) think that 1 unit every 12 hours would be a better place to go to stabilize things for a few days?

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Feeding the food in the first half of all the cycles is best if possible.

It’s hard to tell, because you have changed the dose so many times, the depot has not stabilised. I would not drop as low as 1 unit because with SLGS you have to hold it for a week. He has dropped low with one unit but he had been getting 2 units before that so the cycle was influenced by the 2 units.
    You could try 1.5 units….see what Elise thinks as well.

8. tiffmaxee

I agree with Bron. The 2.0 dose was too much with SLGS. I’d try 1.5 fur 7 days unless he has a bg under 90 and earns a reduction.

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.