4/27 Curry's civie -Sid- 2nd update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tena and Curry(GA), Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=69604

Still needing some hand holding today for Sidney. She's never been ill in her 11 years w/me. Honestly, this feels like a bit too much after having just lost Curry.

She didn't throw up anymore last night until about 6:00am this morning. It was bile....looked diluted. Still has diarrhea She still hasn't eaten anything. Going to the vet again as soon as they open this morning. Probably in another hour or so.

She did come to bed about 4:00am and put her head on my shoulder for awhile.

Will ask for the Cerenia....how long does that take for it to get in their system and they feel less nauseated?

2. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Re: 4/27 Curry's civie -Sid- no better

:sad: I was really hoping (as I'm sure you were!) for a good report on sid this morning .. My heart aches for you, with your recent loss of Curry and now this .. Sending lots and lots of healing thoughts sids way!!

3. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Hi Tena,

I'm sorry to hear that there is no improvement. Be sure that they check her for a foreign body obstruction.

Cerenia works quite quickly. I find that it often takes more than one shot (given daily). If the vet gives a shot there, ask them to fill two or three more syringes to give at home over the weekend. It does sting quite a bit when given.

It would be a good idea to get a bag of sub Q fluids. Ondansetron is also a good drug for nausea, and can be given at the same time as Cerenia. You could also ask about pain medication.

Your other blood work should be back. Ask about a urinary tracy infection. Sometimes those can make them feel quite sick. The vet can take a sterile urine sample by needle in the bladder.

I am sending feel better vines for Sid.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I also think an x-ray may be helpful. If Sid's eaten anything she shouldn't, it could be causing an obstruction.

(Many years ago, Gabby ate dental floss and was throwing up a lot.)

5. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

I would do Cerenia as well as ondansetron like Linda recommended. One two combo for vomiting and nausea.

Has she lost any weight? - the fluids might mask this.

I'd really push through with assist feeding and try and find something to work. If your vet stocks Iams MaxCal - its 330 calories per can and worth its weight in gold for calories per ounce.

I can't help with the diahrea. Maybe a probiotic might help.

I'm sending you and Sid big hugs.

6. Tena and Curry(GA)

Thanks for the info. And support.

Seeing a different vet today. Other one doesn't come in until 12. I wasn't impressed with her anyway.

Will be going soon.

Ugh, my stomach is in knots right now.

7. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Big Hugs from us, too, Tena. I hope that your vet can determine what is bothering Sid. Sending her lots and lots of healing and feel-better vines.

:YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

Ella & Rusty

8. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Tena, so sorry Sid isn't any better. Many vines and prayers for this morning's Vet visit and getting some answers so treatment can begin.

9. carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock

carolyn & jesse (GA) & spock Well-Known Member

Holding you & Sid in my thoughts and hoping the vet can find out what's wrong!

10. Tena and Curry(GA)

Re: 4/27 Curry's civie -Sid- update 1

They still don't know yet...left her there to get a urine sample. She did mention the word cancer along w/other possibilities. But she didnt emphasize it....She was very thorough unlike the vet yesterday.....

So they did an xray
    ...thickening of lining into stomach....so I'm assuming esophagus ...will need to clarify
    .... no foreign object
    ....heart had an odd shape (not concerned in regards to current issue)
    ....one kidney was slightly enlarged...but kidney blood values looked good.

They want to get an ultrasound of the abdomen.
    Two of the vets who do the ultrasounds aren't here today...one will be on Monday and my vet will be there on Tuesday

Getting a clean urine sample today...she didn't have enough urine.

Giving her a shot of cerenia first and then evaluate her.

Some of blood values were slightly off....I can't remember which right now....think low WBC and slightly anemic...will clarify when I talk to the vet later.

Came to work....already had my "therapy" session for today as I ran into one of my co-workers (also an oncology social worker) who covered for me the day I had to put Curry down....Off course I started bawling when I saw her.

Trying to focus on what I do know at this point....But my mind is beginning to wander to the "what ifs"..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

11. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Re: 4/27 Curry's civie -Sid- 1st update

(((Tena)))

I have some ondansetron here. I'd be happy to fedex it to you (Mike gets a huge discount on fedex). If your vet says yes, then let me know and I'll get it to you. You can PM me your address. I don't need it right now and if I need more in the future, I can get it. It isn't cheap so I'm happy to give it to you so it would be one less thing for you to deal with.

I know you aren't focused on the heart but often times in xrays it can look odd depending on how she is laying so for right now, you are correct to put that aside.

Surely in Houston there are more than two vets that do ultrasounds? Is there another speciality hospital they can refer you to? That would also be my focus...gettting that US before next week.

We all wish we could be there with you. If at any time, you can post the blood work, we can all pitch in to let you know what we know about it.

Sending you huge hugs and love and healing vines for sweet Sid.

12. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

((((((((((Tena)))))))))) I hope you get some good answers today and that Sid is feeling better soon. Sending vine, white light and snowflake. Whatever helps!
    [​IMG]

13. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

((((Tena and Sidney)))))))))))

Hoping your vet figures out what is wrong...

14. Linda and Bear Man

(((Tena)))

If there is some gastric inflammation, ask the vet if she can syringe some sucralfate to coat and soothe the lining.

If Sid is responding to the Cerenia, I hope they send you home with more. They may not want to go more than five days, but I have found that it is more effective after the second dose. It is also reported to help with visceral pain.

15. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

((((Tena)))) ((((Sid))))

Sending vines and snowflakes your way.

Please keep us posted.

16. Tena and Curry(GA)

I just called them to get an update....they hadn't tried to get the urine yet...will now...And they hadn't given her any of the Cerenia yet...vet tech sd because they hadn't seen her throw up....GRRRR.....I'm now a pissed mommabean.....Vet is calling shortly to discuss Sid...

17. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

((((Tena)))). Healing vines for Sid and her tummy. Holding your hand until you get some answers.

18. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

((((Tena))))

I understand the frustration about getting nausea meds for Sid. It seems like they want the kitty to be drooling or vomiting right that minute in front of them before they believe there might be nausea. I had to fight for BigMac too.

Linda mentioned sucralfate and I know it really helped BigMac's sister, Cappi, when she had throat inflammation from intubation during her dental. It is an ulcer med that coats and soothes inflamed tissue. It worked almost immediately.

It seems vets pull out that cancer card too quickly... and I hope it is nothing of the kind. (((Sid)))

19. Tena and Curry(GA)

Current Dx : UTI

Tx: antibiotics, cerenia shot today (she wouldn't give me the pre-filled syringes, can get another shot tomorrow or get the pills for over the weekend), pepcid shot, sending the xray to the radiologist (it was thickening of the pylorus- upper part of stomach, kidney enlargement and odd looking heart)....wait to get feedback from radiologist tomorrow before scheduling the ultrasound. I think that's it. Oh, forgot the labs...they are at home...will update those when I get home tonight.

Evidently Sid tried to hide in her water dish or decided that swimming was the best way to fight her boredom. I believe the former is correct. They sprayed feliaway in her cage and put towels over it.

Ran her home, opened a can of baby food...no go....opened some tuna and she ate a little....and then she when into a hidey hole box in my bedroom where its quiet.....had to run back to work.

Vet will call tomorrow around 10 to see how Sid is doing and with the results of the xray consult. The pancreatitis test takes a week per this vet...not a day or two (per other, not named vet). Oh, note to self....don't get your cat treated by a bird vet.....duh....

Thank you all for the feedback and wonderful support. I'm breathing a sigh of relief right now.....

20. Linda and Bear Man

A UTI is better than some of the things you were worried about. What antibiotic did they give you? With her inflamed pylorus, you should be careful with pilling. Make sure you chase pills with a syringe of water.

I guess they diagnosed the infection based on the urinalysis. Did they also send the urine out for culture?

The PLI should only take 3 days at most. I hope they did the PLI and not the TLI which was the old test for pancreatitis and takes longer. Maybe you should confirm? It should be on your bill.

I have no experience with cerenia pills but I know others use them. I like the shots. If she is not eating well tomorrow I would consider taking her in for it.

A UTI treated with the proper antibiotic should respond quickly. Note that they are painful, so she may still need a medication for pain (Bupe).

Sending get well soon vines to Sid.

21. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Good news! Thank you for the update. I have been thinking about you. Hugs to you and tons of healing vines for Sid.

22. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

I am glad you have some sort of initial DX. So, I hope the prognosis only gets better from here.

I agree with Linda, I much prefered the shots of cerenia for Atlas. That darn little pill was very dry and Attie is tough to pill. Of course we had 2 pills and 2 syringes of medication to do....but the cerenia pill seemed to get stuck and then dissolve making it even more difficult to readminister. On my second attempt with that one I coated it with butter first. ;-)

If it is a UTI, her appetite should come back on its own as the medication takes effect hopefully this evening and likely by morning.

23. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad you got a diagnosis Tena. Sending more healing vines to Sid and hugs and comfort vines to you.

24. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Sending lots more healing vines and positive thoughts to you and Sid this evening. My vet did the SNAP fpL test on Rusty (IDEXX labs). It is an "instant" version of the spec fpL in that it does not give a number value, but tells if the cat does or does not have pancreatitis (Rusty was positive for pancreatitis). The benefit of this test is that it gives the "verdict" right away; many vets have the IDEXX testing equipment in house. Perhaps check around with other vets in Houston?
    I hope that Sid will have a comfortable night and that she'll start eating.

Hugs,

Ella & Rusty

25. Pip & Rupert

Pip & Rupert Well-Known Member

Hoping Sid is feeling better soon. I would think that a low WBC is a good thing since I believe I'm right in thinking that high WBC suggests cancer. UTI could really be making him feel icky. hopefully the a/b start kicking in soon! poor fella! hang in there Tena!

26. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Sending vines for Sid, hope he's back on track in no time.

27. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Sending healing vines to Sid and I hope that she starts feeling better soon.
    Liz

28. Tena and Curry(GA)

Looks like they gave convenia as the antibiotic. Ummmm....thought we had discussed the oral. Well, what's done is done on that.

They did an in house fPL - normal.....and sent out one as well....I would have been fine with just the in house one and then if it was elevated sent out for the more specific test. Oh well.

WBC - 5.15k/ul. 5.50-19.50. Low
    Neu - 2.2k/ul. 2.50-12.50. Low

HCT. 45.9%. 30.0-45.0. High
    HGB. 15.8%. 9-15.1. High

Bun. 23. 10-30. Normal
    Cre 1.5. 0.3-2.1. Normal

She greeted me at the door when I got home.

Did Not want any tuna. Did a little assist feed with the baby food.

29. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

We're thinking of you guys...hopefully things will start heading down the right track now that you've got some answers. :YMHUG:

30. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I hope Sid starts feeling better.

31. Linda and Bear Man

That's good news on the fPL and the kidney values. I think the HCT and HGB could possibly be a bit high due to dehydration. I'm not sure of the significance of the low WBC, but it may be influenced by the infection. I hope she starts to feel better soon.

32. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

I'm glad you got a DX and it a manageable one as well. Since they gave Convenia, you are right it is too late to do anything now, but watch for adverse reactions to it. Many cats are fine w/ it, but there have been cases of adverse reactions. Be sure to check back when the C&S results are in, it may not be a good match for the form of bacteria causing the infection. Something else may do a better job since Convenia is not labeled for UTI or dental (another time vets opt for it for convenience.)

Tess gets UTIs all too frequently. 2 good suggestions from our vets were:
    -- Give Coseequin daily, the bladder is lined w/ similar tissue to that in joints and it can strengthen and soothe the bladder lining
    -- Antibiotics can often cause diarrhea because they kill off the good bacteria in the gut as well as the bad causing the infection. A probiotic such as Fortiflora will recolonize the gut with the bacteria it needs to function properly.

Our vet advised continuing the probiotic to keep the gut bacteria strong. If a bacteria such as e-coli (which is what Tess had last time) is in the colon but not enough to make the animal sick, it is still possible for it to externally come into contact w/ the end of the urinary tract and travel up to infect the bladder. Keeping the colon bacteria healthy doesn't leave room for the bad bacteria.

We use a live culture probiotic from the health food store called Petdophillus. It is live and needs to be refrigerated, but you get more than twice as much and need to use less than Fortiflora. It doesn't have the extra yummy taste however.

33. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Sending eating vines, feel better vines, white healing light, and snowflakes to Sid. I'm glad she greeted you at the door.
    Come on girl, feel better.

34. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Sending many healing vines for Sid.

Ann is right that there are better ABs to treat a UTI....baytril, zeniquin. Not Convenia but like you said done is done.

And also she is right on the 2nd thing....anyone (human or kitty) on ABs needs some acidophilus. Fortiflora is great for that if she'll eat it.

(((Tena)))

35. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sending healing thoughts and vines to Sid.

My vet recommended a pinch of cranberry for my civie Theo for his UTI. Like in humans, it helps strengthen the bladder walls.

Regarding the low neutrophils, those can also be affected by stress. Do you have previous blood test results for Sid to compare? My friend has a dog who chronically has low neutrophils - that's just the way he is.

36. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending strong healing vines fro Sid. Be well little one.

Thanks Tena, for keeping us updated. A big hug to you - I know you are worried.

37. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Feel better and better, Sid. Get some good rest tonight, Tena.

Many hugs,

Ella & Rusty

38. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

somehow i missed this yesterday, tena. i'm sorry. sounds like sid at least has a diagnosis and a start to treatment. everything i've read on convenia would suggest it might not be as effective on a UTI as you may need. it was developed to treat skin infections. if you think it's not working, i'd go for another different AB.

i'll second on the cosequin for improving the bladder lining and reducing infections. punkin used to have them every year. since he's become diabetic and we switched to canned food and added cosequin - not a single infection. hard to know if it's the canned food (instead of the prescription dry 'easy on the bladder' food) or the cosequin. something is working though, because this is the longest he's ever gone without a bladder infection.

thinking about you guys and sending thoughts of healing and peace to you . . . :YMHUG:

39. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

Hi Tena,

I'm so glad the news was good with little Sid. Not that a UTI is welcome, but they are very treatable. I hope when the rest of the results come in nothing else is found. No wonder she didn't want to eat and had an upset tummy. Poor baby. I sure hope the antibiotic & other meds work so she can feel better quickly.

I hope you both get a better sleep tonight than last night also.

Lots of hugs and healing wishes,
    Melanie & Racci

40. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Wow...just seeing this-

sending a blizzard of healing for sweet Sid-

and love and hugs to you, Tena.

celi & binks

[​IMG]

41. Georgia and Simon (GA)

Georgia and Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending lots of healing vines and prayers to you and Sid tonight.

42. kim and simon

kim and simon Member

Hi Tena, I hope Sid is feeling better tonight. Give us an update when you get a chance. My civvie, Molly, had her first UTI last fall and got Convenia. This was before I joined FDMB and heard about Convenia problems. She didn't have any issues with the Convenia, but her UTI was back in a few weeks. That time she got oral abx (Baytril I think?? Not 100% certain) and she hasn't had any trouble since. Just watch her for lots of small puddles in the box or any going outside of the box. Was she doing that at all before the diagnosis? I do hope she is well soon! HUGS! (((Tena))) (((Sid)))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.