? 4/28 Benny AMPS 399 +6 104 +8 135 +10 167 PMPS 260 Dosing question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ben&Squirrel, Apr 28, 2022.

1. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/4-27-benny-amps-446-5-388-8-443-pmps-488.262568/

Benny was feeling bad all day, to the point where I could not get him out of his hiding place at all. This is not like him. I had to go behind the couch to take his BG. I'm worried about him.

His numbers were lower today but I think I missed the nadir at +7 when I was out.

I cannot test him again tonight to monitor him. Given that, and that he is really feeling poorly, should I skip the PM shot?

2. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

3. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

I'm going to bump up your post:
    @Wendy&Neko @FrostD @tiffmaxee

Is Benny eating at all? Vomiting, diarrhea? Maybe call the vet if not better tomorrow. If you can't monitor, I wouldn't shoot personally, but hopefully the others will chime in. Vines for Benny to feel better.

4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I would not skip entirely, no. His nadir leaves a lot of room for safety (you didnt need the MC earlier by the way ;) he was about at nadir), plus it looks like he's heading into a bounce.

If you aren't comfortable shooting full dose since you can't monitor, you have the option of a partial dose (something like 0.25). Just remember there is some depot at play.

My concern with a skip is if he is getting sick and not eating, that checks two of the DKA boxes. Insulin is the 3rd. So while he doesn't have a history of ketones or DKA, I still like the safety buffer.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  5. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

He's eating, no diarrhea or vomiting, just feeling terrible, I think.

If I can monitor until +2, would it be okay to give him 0.25 or .50?

6. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

With the depot, a one time shot of 0.5U isn't going to do a whole lot in terms of giving you "padding". I would do the 0.25U if you're going to do a reduced dose.

Now, that said - I would actually test him again right now. It looks like he's bouncing, if that's the case I would do the full dose.

7. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

I had already fed him in anticipation of his shot; he is at 464 right now.

Edited to add: we are still within 15 minutes of his normal shot time. I can monitor up to +2 but no more.

8. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Shoot full dose. That's a bounce, that's beyond a food bump. He's takes around 2 cycles usually to clear a bounce, he should stay high and flat all night.

Of course if you're still uncomfortable, do what you feel is right for you.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  9. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Also with how he's feeling - any recent ketone tests?

10. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

I gave him the full dose. His bg seem to change so fast. This is probably a stupid question, but...is he always going to bounce like this? Seems like he just gets out of one bounce, then into another.

No ketone tests, have not had enough access to him today but will watch for my chance with the ketostix.

FrostD likes this.
  11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Benny's spreadsheet looks very common for a newly diagnosed diabetic. Look around at some of the other people who have recently diagnosed cats. When he starts getting more normal BG numbers, he will start getting used to them, and not bounce as much. No guarantees though, some cats (like a certain black and white in my avatar) took forever and all she did was lower how high she bounced.

So glad you shot full dose tonight!

12. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

His +2 was 378. I'm going to assume he's going to be okay for tonight!

@Wendy&Neko @FrostD @Tiger(GA) and Ruth Thank you so much for walking me through this evening. Can't believe how fast this went from "maybe skip a shot" to "give full dose". I so appreciate your guidance.