4/28 Flagyl question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tena and Curry(GA), Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

Started my civie on flagyl for a GI issue. Major foaming at the mouth. Wish the vet had warned me.

Any pointers to reducing this side-effect....I now know it has a nasty taste.

I did give her syring with water afterwards.

Thanks
    Tena

2. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

What form is the medication? Liquid, pills, capsules? If pills, you can coat the pill in butter, cream cheese, or a pill pocket. If liquid, you could try mixing with tuna water.

3. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

Liquid.

Thx Karen.

4. RobbiesMom

RobbiesMom Member

wow - flagyl is truly a horrific tasting med - having been on it several times in my life I can vouch for that - it's VERY rough to take and I'm really surprised they give it to a cat as an antibiotic since it's generally given (in my experience) along with another antibiotic (often Cipro or something very strong like that) for humans to balance out the effects of that antibiotic. Can you perhaps have the Vet reconsider and switch to something less difficult? I only say this because I truly can't manage to take Flagyl for very long myself as it makes me feel really awful and sicker than what I'm taking it for. It is for GI issues so perhaps that is why it's been prescribed and there is no choice. I sincerely hope there is a solution here - that is just no fun I'm sure. Best of luck with this and hang in there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.