4/28 OT - ?? on giving liquid flagyl

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tena and Curry(GA), Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=69673

Ok. I'm having to give poor Sid flagyl for the diarrhea issue. She foams up after giving the liquid...anyone have any tricks to giving this horrid stuff. I have to give for 10 days.

She still isn't eating...but no vomiting and the diarrhea has slowed.

thanks,
    t

2. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

It sounds like things are slowly improving there. I've had the same problem with liquid flagyl. The last time one of my cats needed it, my vet revealed to me that flagyl now comes in "tasty tab" form. I don't know if this is brand new or what, but it was a teeny tiny tablet that I could wrap in a pill pocket and voila...no foaming. It's worth asking your vet about!

Our thoughts and prayers are still with you guys :YMHUG: !

3. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

I've heard of it in a gelcap, but i assume that's the powder...and they say to chase it with water...
    Everything I've read just confirms that it's nasty tasting.

Not very helpful...but we're sure thinking of you and Sid!

4. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

IMO pills are way better since flagyl is so bitter but either can be hard to get down maybe try and hide in tuna juice

5. Lisa & Mary

Lisa & Mary Member

You can get flagyl in a transdermal gel that you just rub on thd inside of their ear and wipe off the residue a few hours later. That is much easier than pills and the nasty tasting liquids for most cats. Your vet would have to give a prescription to a compounding pharmacy and it's a bit more expensive. I have just started Mooch on transdermal gel version of azithromycin and it was about $45 for a 12 day course. The oral version suitable for cats is a cherry flavored human kids version which tastes awful...

6. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

Woot!

We are foam free.

Made sure the syringe went to the back of the mouth and shot it in. Chased it with tuna juice. A much better experience tha this morning.

K, now I need to go clean her butt cuz she's scooting her little hiney across the carpet. Maybe she is wanting the Charmin tp.

7. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

I remember giving that horrible stuff too! The drooling and foaming afterwards!, I'm so glad you found a way to do it. It really does work though. It sounds like she's starting to feel a little better already. I hope she starts eating soon.

Melanie & Racci

8. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Tena

If you are using human canned tuna, make sure that the ingredients are only tuna and water. If it is vegetable broth...you don't want to use it...it has soy which is not good for cats. You can't tell by reading the front of the can; you have to read the back ingredients label.

Glad the flagyl is going down ok.

9. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear that the flagyl seems to be working, and I wish you the best of luck on the rest of the doses.
    Please keep us updated, because we're thinking of you (((Hugs))).

10. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

Liquid flagyl can cause foaming/drooling. It is very bitter stuff. Even though Sidney may foam etc. after you dose her, don't double dose thinking she did not get it. The foaming is a reaction to the dose, she isn't spitting it out. Nasty, unpleasant, but only a momentary dis-tasteful circumstance.

Yes, getting the syringe further back in the mouth and a chase of some good stuff can help! You did good!

I had two foster kittens on it and it was hysterical. ok...maybe not...but one would take his medicine with minor upset and the other it was like major drama to him! But, we all got through the 10 days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.