4/28 PMPS 265 1.5U GIven. Saw Him Vomit Tonite. Seems Fine. Monitoring Closely.

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lee Renfro, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/spike-4-27-amps-352-amps-10-25-354.261814/

I've came home to vomit consistent with Spikes food texture both yesterday & today, but can't confirm it's his because three kitty's slept inside all day while I was at work. None of them are known to be vomit-prone. He has been in the pinks of 350-ish today and has been receiving his 1.5u dose. I let him outdoors after his bg test and he went straight for some grass to nibble on, as he is prone to do.

I was able to wake up last night and get a couple of tests in the SS if those help.

He was NEG for ketones last night. His appetite is huge like its been his entire life and he's always up for a snack. He seems happy and just chilling as is his normal attitude.

@FrostD , I guess that I'm just asking if their is anything that I should be checking on or worried about. The Vet said on the 28th. that since I was home testing his bg, she didn't need to see him for a month and that YOU & FDMB was a great help . Naturally, both myself and the receptionist forgot to make an appointment. She seems unconcerned about his BUN rising from 43.6 to 48.1 between March 2 and the 28th. and just said to increase his AminAvast supplement from once to twice daily and we'll recheck next visit. I'll try to enter his lab #'s from the with on that tab of the SS for you.

I know you're very busy on here, so this isn't urgent...I don't think...lol

Have a great evening.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    FrostD likes this.
  2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

My cat was always super hungry in pinks. You did the right thing in checking for ketones when you saw Unidentified vomit. He should be safe.
    What is the reference range of your lab for BUN? Do you have other data like urine specific gravity, creatinine, phosphorus? Does he drink a lot of water?

Lee Renfro likes this.
  3. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

I just entered the small lab that she ran back on the 28th.

Spike has a hollow leg and has eaten like a Lil pig his entire life and is forever on the prowl for a temptations treats (rare these days...lol), and his water consumption has decreased quite a bit since beginning insulin on 3/2/22. He is still a drinker usually after snacks or meals but WAY LESS than the guzzling and peeing he was doing b4 diagnosis.

Idk what the BUN reference range is. The printout just says "CHEMISTRY (DRY-CHEM)
    BUN 48.1 mg/dl
    Creatanine 1.6 mg/dl
    BUN/Creaat Ratio 30.1 mg/dl
    Total Protein 7.1 g/dl
    Glucose 298 mg/dl
    ALT (GPT) 95 U/I
    ALP 42 U/I

I hope this helps. I'd love to just snap a pic of the printout and post it where yall could read it...lol. all i have for internet is a galaxy note 10 plus.

Me and Spike thank you, all of you, so very much for all the loving help.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

You must have been typing while I was looking at his SS earlier lol it's been hectic between here and the Facebook group for sure, always an adventure.

If there's food in it that sound more like what we call a scarf and barf. Is he perhaps eating too much too quickly? I always thought they ate grass when tummy is upset or is that dogs?

He is looking like he may need an increase but we'll see what happens when he breaks this bounce

Suzanne & Darcy and Lee Renfro like this.
  5. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

Both cats & dogs eat grass for upset tummy. Walmart even sells a grass seed kit to grow a sweet grass in windowsills that cats supposedly love. I've never tried it. Could be scarf& barf both days as I've left wet food out for when I'm at work in case he gets too low, though the inside kitty's and Spike rarely throw up. Once in utility room near litterboxs and today right next to now empty food bowls. I kinda thought his high PM#'s could b from him eating shortly b4 I got home around 4:30pm both days also...food bump. Just with the climbing BUN, I'm naturally nervous about anything rearing it's ugly head, so I ask you.

I'll probably schedule a regular Vet appointment around the 5 week point from his visit March 28th. I'm curious to see if the AminAvast is doing anything good or benign. It's like $29 for 60 capsuls...lol

My casual observation is that when I leave food out during the day, he is in the pink by my arrival home and when I crash out and forget to put anything down overnight, he is in the blues.

And yes, I see on the forums, that you've got many irons in the fire on here...God bless you and the work you do for us and our babies.

FrostD likes this.
  6. Suzanne & Darcy

How many carbs are in that Pro Plan Urinary food?

Anyway, I don’t know what lab your vet uses, but yes BUN is elevated according to what I am used to seeing (my vet uses IDEXX lab). Creatinine isn’t bad though (again, I don’t think so but don’t have the ref. Range).

I hope there won’t be any vomiting tomorrow!

7. Suzanne & Darcy

@FrostD I think you are spreading yourself too thin. I didn’t know you were advising on FB too.

Lee Renfro and FrostD like this.
  8. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I try my best not to, and I do my best to limit "FD" stuff to 20 mins in the morning, and then whatever time I feel like after kids are in bed. Maybe a little during nap time but I like my naps too ;)

I mostly am on the Facebook group to follow people over from there to here, because they were finding they were sending people here (primarily Vetsulin) and not getting responses....with Janet out it leaves mostly just me for the "nonstandard" stuff like big overdoses or who knows what. But I sure am glad you've started peeking in! A few months ago I started checking each board every day so hopefully it's not an issue anymore. Other than that, I chime in on Facebook for more emergency sort of stuff/when I see a potential red flag. I call it the Wild West over there, I only have so much patience in my body lol

Almost out of the 1st trimester here so getting some energy back too!

I think you can understand - I just can't leave a cat/caregiver in a possible dangerous/crisis situation (like the ketones last night, or the :mad: overdoses I keep seeing lately).

Lee Renfro likes this.
  9. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

I can't find the chart that listed the Purina Pro Plan Focus Urinary Tract Health canned food now. I just remember that we agreed (as did the Vet) that we could leave him on it for now and it seems like the "with salmon" the "chicken" and the "beef and chicken" flavors were acceptable for now. I did eliminate all dry IAMS UTI Health from his diet.

Yes, the recent vomiting is a new development around here and can't even confirm it's him, but I feel that it is his. It hasn't had any effect on his appetite though.

Those test results are what they provided me from their in-house testing equipment, so idk much about how that all works.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  10. Suzanne & Darcy

Totally get this! Been seeing a lot of this lately. Glad you are getting energy back. You need it with your kids.

Lee Renfro and FrostD like this.
  11. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

https://catinfo.org/chart/index.php

This one has some of the UR foods, not entirely sure if it's the specific ones you're feeding.

Hopefully the vomiting doesn't continue. By chance any hairballs in there?

Lee Renfro likes this.
  12. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Take a look at the 2nd pic in my SS when you get a chance :) I lost her for a few minutes and she was dead quiet, so I assumed she was eating cat treats or drawing on walls

Lee Renfro likes this.
  13. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

No hairballs. Just liquidy catfood. Looked pretty runny and kinda projectile pattern on the floor tile. Thought i saw sum stringy blades of Bermuda grass in it, but he had been indoors for 10 hours...if that helps. It was the brownish color of his wet food with a few particles the shape of the tiny cube-shaped chicken he had for breakfast.

Beef and chicken =4 (I think it said)
    With salmon = 4
    Turkey and giblets = 3
    Chicken and gravy = 9

He likes these and the chicken was today...The high one....dang it.
    Not listed is the ocean whitefish

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  14. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Hmm. Ok. If it continues you'll probably want to call the vet. Cerenia is best for vomiting but it's better to find the actual cause...if one can be found.

You don't have any lilies or toxic plants around by chance? That's another big thing this time of year.

If you started a new batch of food, maybe something upsetting his tummy...some COVID recipe changes out there.

Lee Renfro likes this.
  15. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

Actually have a peace Lilly by the door on a stand....funny you should mention this....I never bought the cat grass planter from Walmart because I didn't want to teach any of them to eat houseplants....especially peace lillies. But, the plant hasn't been disturbed in any way (just checked), nor has it been for years. They walk under/past it without regard.

I was assuming the nausea was due to all the bouncing and possibly feeling like hammered crap from being pink then blue then yellow then pink again all in a 48 hr period.

I also can't get the elevated BUN out of my mind.

Well, just checking and checking in with you. I have a feeling that you check my SS regularly, which is why I utilize the remarks column to try to help you help me. I so respect you and others on here. I read y'alls work on the threads daily.

FrostD likes this.
  16. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

It's definitely possible, but he's kind of been doing that for awhile (the swinging). The BUN is a little curious, I know that can make some cats nauseous (Suzanne knows much more about kidneys than I do). But it can also be due to dehydration. The reference range for the lab my vet uses is 4-32 for BUN. But his other kidneys values aren't really elevated

Unfortunately kidneys get to be an issue in a lot of older cats. If the vomiting continues I'd take him in for some repeat labs, or obviously if you see any blood in stool or vomit that's an emergency.

I do try to check once a day! I don't always get to it, but I do always check my notifications/tags/alerts. He's been pretty steady as he goes in terms of overall patterns and numbers, but I am always glad to see the good reports of happy kitties.

17. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

He just scored a 143 @+4.50 hrs. He doesn't seem I'll in any way and loves to snack. When my stomach is upset,, I can't look at food...lol. He's just a good, senior gentleman and I'm so glad I've got help going thru this with him. I'm determined to give all these babies the best life I can give them, even if it requires a steep learning curve and changing routines etc

I actually found this site randomly on Google. Didnt know the FB page was active or anything. I'm soooo glad I did find it. I try not to be a pest but these things do come up and worry me.

BTW, cute, awesum puc of ur girl with Mr. Kitty. Spike approves too...lol

FrostD likes this.
  18. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

Found vomit this AM near litterboxs again. Brown runny liquid with long stringy items in it that looked like 4 inch long Bermuda grass leaves. Picked one up with a knife and honestly couldn't identify it. It would be weird for it to be unchewed 4" long skinny grass, (about ten on them in the puddle) but that was the appearance. Spike and other kitties all seem fine and hungry and normal today.

@FrostD.i took pic but don't know how to embed it from phone to ss or post.

19. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ok I would schedule an appointment just to see (and might as well talk about Lantus/its generics while you're there).

In the meantime Cerenia should help with the vomiting, I'd call and see if they'll give you some.

Lee Renfro likes this.
  20. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Well at least he likes nighttime blues!