4/29 Sid update (Curry's civvie)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tena and Curry(GA), Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=69803

A few folks had asked me how Sid was doing....So she's hijacked Curry's condo again....I don't Curry would mind. Hope you guys don't either.

Dx: UTI (had urinalysis don't but she didn't culture it out the next day) - received conevia injection (here's some info from Pfizer on convenia for UTI: For the treatment of urinary infections associated with Escherichia coli. Got cerenia injection on Friday and Saturday for the nausea.....She wouldn't give Zofran along with the Cerenia. Also getting flagyl now due to GI issues...diarrhea. Note: if you have to give liquid flagyl....kitties may foam at the mouth after due the bitter taste....Put the syringe back as far as safely possible and inject...I chased it w/low sodium tuna juice (did not contain any soy or veg broth). She didn't foam or really taste it.

No vomiting yesterday. Still has the diarrhea. Still not eating on her own. Vet wanted me to hold off on the mirtz last night to see if she would eat...No she didn't....Gave her 1/8 mirtz this morning at 5:00am...she still wouldn't eat on her own....Geesh.....Will do the assisted feed w/her. Adding fortiflora to the meal.

She had no sx of a UTI, so it was surprising that she had one. I'm to go back for a recheck in a couple of weeks. But the vet sd she would call me tomorrow and see how she's doing. And I'll watch for sx.....Curry had a UTI where we had to do a couple of rounds of antibiotics....but she had notable symptoms.

Thanks for all your feedback and support .....and letting Sid hijack a condo today.

Luv ya,
    Tena

Radiologist read her xray....Concerns w/the shape of the heart.....No significant issues w/the thickening in pylorus....Everthing else looked good. My vet does the ultrasounds at the clinic so I'll consult w/him on the heart issue.

I think (and I'm only guessing) that all the stress in the last month or so contributed to what she is dealing with. Who knows...she's a cat....but she's never had any health issues...until now. She's been my healthy kitty.

2. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update .. I'm glad you got a diagnosis that can be treated with meds .. I'll keep fingers crossed she remains your healthy kitty for a long long time :YMHUG:

3. Jacspets

Jacspets Well-Known Member

Poor Sid and (((((Tena))))) . I hope Sid continues her road to recovery. Good that you figured out how to get the Flagyl into her a little easier.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I hope Sid starts eating on her own soon. Remember, when assist feeding, you may not want to use Sid's favorite foods. If she doesn't like the assist feeding process, you don't want her to associate them with something negative.

I'm still wondering why the vet gave you liquid flagyl. Gabby's gotten it a couple of times and it's always been a pill. I did like hearing that it's available as a transdermal.

5. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Thinking of you and Sid today, Tena, and sending extra-strength healing vines. I hope that Sid will feel well enough to eat later today.

Lots of hugs,

Ella & Rusty

6. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Tena - I would take Marjorie up on her offer of ondansetron if you are up to trying it. I would give both concurrently. Can you assist feed MaxCal to keep her liver healthy? Do you think she's getting enough calories with baby food? I know some are 100 calories a jar and Sid isn't diabetic so the cornstarch ones aren't an issue.

I wouldn't give the mirtz unless she is eating - you may set Sid up for long term food aversion.

I hope the convenia, flagyl, cerenia work their magic. Ondansetron is an amazing drug if nausea is a problem - showing interest in food but licking and walking away are classic nausea. Here is a technical article written by a vet on vomiting in cats and ondansetron is listed. http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.com/avhc/content/printContentPopup.jsp?id=676860

Sending you and Sid big hugs.

7. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update Tena. I hope Sid tries eating a little today and it turns out to be nothing more than the uti, which is very treatable, though she'll probably feel lousy for a few days, poor baby.

I agree with you about the stress being a big part of it. It just finally caught up with her.

Hugs and best wishes for a speedy recovery for Sid,

Melanie & Racci

8. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about you guys. I hope SId is better soon. Good luck with the assist feed - I hope that goes well. One of mu kitties had an odd shaped heart too, turns out, or so they said, that it was normal for him. It never really caused him any problems. I hope it is the same for Sid.

Take care Tena. Hugs to all.

9. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Tena and Sid))) sending good thoughts and healing vines that today he shows some improvement. Good luck with the assist feeding. Hugs.

10. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Sid & Tena))) Hugs to you both...hope Sid will feel better real soon.....

11. Tena and Curry(GA)

Thanks Karrie!

She's getting hills ad.... I only gave her the mirtz this am when I heard her eating the kibble....thought she might be a little more interested...darn she wasn't. .....the diarrhea is back when she eats....not as stinky now.

I'm suppose to talk with the vet tomorrow and will discuss the ondansertron with her...again.

12. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Sending Sid more healing vines, snowflakes, and white light. I agree 100% with Karrie on the mirtz. I wouldn't give it unless the nausea is under control.

Please eat, Sid. We all love you.

13. Georgia and Simon (GA)

Georgia and Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

((((Tena and Sid))))
    Hoping Sid starts eating soon. Cleo, my CRF kitty, has really good results with ondansetron and the cerenia combined. She also has had a few UTI's with no symptoms. It is always a surprise when it shows up as positive.

14. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

AD is only 160 calories (I can't remember exactly). MaxCal is 330. So just make sure she's maintaining her weight. There are some kitten foods in the US that are really high in calories. I think Iam's kitten. I couldn't find it when I looked up here.

15. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

lots of love and healing thoughts coming your way, guys!!

16. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

glad to see an update! that was interesting on the convenia, too - i didn't realize it was for other things. all i had read was skin issues.

keep us posted. we care. :YMHUG:

17. Tena and Curry(GA)

Sid usually eats 160 calories and the hills is 180....it's about 6 syringes.....it takes about 10 minutes to give her one syringe. So I do one and then take a break. I'm monitoring her weight as well. I'll look into the kitten food...good idea.

Thx bunches Karrie

And thanks to all of my LL family.

Hugs for you all
    t

18. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update! Tarragon is on flagyl permanently for his IBD, but we pill. I know Sid does t like pills. I have heard that the liquid is very bitter.

Healing vines for Sid! Hugs to you Tena!

19. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Hi Tena

I'm just popping in to send Sid some more feel better vines. I can't see how your vet would refuse you a medication which can help nausea when she has been sick and inappetant for so long now. It seems silly that he/she would not even let you try it out.

(((Sid))) (((Tena)))

20. Beth & Atlas

Beth & Atlas Well-Known Member

Happy to read the update....not so happy to see there is still no appetite.

Sending good thoughts and healing vines to Sid....c'mon little one....find your appetite.

21. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Sending appetite vines to Sid...

22. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I am sending eating and good appetite vines to Sid, and wishing you both a good vet visit today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.