4/3 Howie AMPS=234 +3=219 +4=179 +7=152

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Howiesmom, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

I don’t post Howie’s levels often but could use some prayers/positive vibes. Howie has been flying back up the scale and is on his last full day/cycles at 52 units of Lev before an increase to 57u tomorrow. I thought we were on a good track yesterday that I could hold him a bit longer at that, but last night he went up pretty high (for him) with a PMPS of 187. I should have given him a shot of R, but I was selfish and didn’t as I was having some side effects from my 2nd moderna vaccine last night and needed to go to bed and not stay up to test him. I did get a +2.5 which was 244. This was the highest he’s been since Jan. 14.

This AM, his AMPS was 234. He didn’t eat any food from his auto feeder last night (never has happened) and nibbled at his breakfast. Normally he devours it. I had to keep putting it in front of him to eat which he eventually did. He’s also pretty lethargic (but has also been laying in the sun all AM, so maybe just sleepy!). Ketones are negative. I’m assuming this is all from levels he hasn’t experienced for 2.5 months as nothing else is wrong. The irony is that he had his senior wellness exam/bloodwork yesterday and had all good results.

For those not familiar with Howie, he’s got IAA and acromegaly and is on cabergoline. He’s probably one of the highest dose kitties on the forum right now.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. You were not being selfish last night. I too had lots of side effects from the second shot and would not have been able to stay up. :bighug:

Howiesmom likes this.
  3. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Thanks so much! The side effects didn’t hit me until about 30 hours after the shot. I thought I was in the clear all day yesterday until they just hit me last night. Luckily they seemed to have passed!

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

That’s good. I got my shot at 3:00 and side effects started that night. I was almost better 2 days later.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good touch with the R today - nice to see it having some effect. I would be patient on the dose. Some cats take the full six cycles to show what a dose can do, so it's hard to guess what to do without seeing those full six cycles full of numbers.

Another thing we've learned is that Howie needs to earn his dose reductions, at this point in time. That can change. But for now, I wouldn't reduce unless he goes below what is your reduction point. He didn't "earn" his reduction to 39. This can be partly the effect of the anti-bodies. They do see to do best (kept in check), if you have a dose that is seeing frequent green. This is a fine balance with the cabergoline though. Once cabergoline effect starts it can be quite sudden. Don't know if you took a look at Shadow's SS, who posted on the acro forum today.

Good to hear your shot side effects have passed. It really does seem to depend on the person. Still waiting for mine....

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  6. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Thanks, Wendy. When he had 2 tests of 71 when he was at 43 units and then an AMPS of 72, I figured that was close enough to 70 to earn the reduction down to 39. The R is working nicely today with his L. His +7 is 152 so I’m opting to not do a midday dose. I know you said the goal previously was to get his nadir to around 100 or else do increases after 6 cycles. He hasn’t seen a nadir that low since he was at 39 units. That’s why I was anticipating the increase tomorrow. If you have other recommendations now, I’m all ears!

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

My recommendation is patience, wait out the six cycles. If you see low blues, then wait for 8 cycles as per TR.

Howiesmom likes this.
  8. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Don't beat yourself up over not being able to stay up last night. You weren't well.
    Sending prayers for Howie:bighug:. It's nice to see his numbers coming down today. :cool:

Howiesmom likes this.
  9. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hi Tracy! You're up in my territory now with 13 units of R. I thought I was the only one with a cat on that much R. Sorry Howie's going back up the scale.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  10. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

His PMPS was down to 113 and his +3 was only 118. So will stay on 52u for a couple more cycles! Thanks!

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  11. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

13u of R still didn’t have the effect it should. I think his vaccines/boosters created a bounce but I am happy to see he finally dropped to low blues tonight even though the R wore off hours ago. I still can’t find that dose that will drop him anywhere near 100 points. Sometimes I’m lucky if it will drop him 20-30 points.

12. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Just an update this Easter morning...he surprised me with a treat of an AMPS of 68! So he earned a reduction after all...not an increase! I know we didn’t see any greens at 52, but since he fell below 70, I did this correctly...right? Sorry, I’m second guessing myself!

13. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

If you could start a new condo - we all start a new condo on this forum daily - that would be wonderful.

You could post it with his name, new AMPS for today and the date...then we'll all comment. Please use the '?' from the drop down menu for your question too :) See you on the new condo :)