4/3 Jasper AMPS 399 / +7 354 / PMPS 372 / +6 162 / +7.5 206

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jasper Blue and Jay, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Jasper Blue and Jay

Jasper Blue and Jay Member

:(

Did the .25 last night... and the plunger was sticking and jumping during the draw so ended up with a smaller .25 and didn't want to mess around with redoing it. Disappointed with the amps but might just have to go up to .5 at night if today's numbers aren't better. Because .25 is just too small and there is just too much variance that means less than .25 too often. But also don't want to test him much at all today either because both of his ears are all bruised up in the entire "sweet spot".

Is there a next best area of the ear to get a quick sample that isn't too painful?

He is slow to bleed again lately... and they've been looking for food more but both acting like their food isn't good enough...I'm thinking one or both of those things might be caused by the excessive amount of purebites I was giving to make up for the excessive amount of testing I was doing. They've done that with treats or special foods in the past.

So the purebites have been hidden far away so they can't smell them and think there is a better option coming if they ignore their food.

Luckily Jasper ate enough this am for his insulin but they're both being weird about the food and I started to realize that they were LOOKING for food a lot yesterday but they weren't actually EATING all that much of it.
    I love Bailey , he's a sweet boy, but I'm also very glad he's a control subject I can compare Jasper's behavior to to decide if it's a "symptom" or just a cat quirk lol

And Jasper's ear has seemed slow to bleed even when very warmed up , like he's dehydrated... so I'm withholding the dehydrated snacks for now for that reason too. Also the FF pates have seemed more consistently drier than usual too. We'd always get a can here and there that seemed drier but now it's drier most of the time so we're adding more water to it than before.

Anyway, bummed by the high amps, but feel safe now to go to .5 at night too.

tl:dr Where do you test next if you've overtested and bruised up the "sweet spot" on both ears?

2. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

U need to keep dose at .5 consistently, we all mess up and that's just part of it of the adventure
    Do u rub the ear after test and I always put either neosporin or a healing salve for cats on bellas ears
    When I first started testing I used his pad on his foot, cleaned it real good with alcohol, dry, and then get test and wipe again, u will have to use a lancet pen and not just a lancet

3. Bellasmom

Btw, ur doing great

Jasper Blue and Jay likes this.
  4. Bellasmom

Tagging someone for u to finish answering questions
    @Rachel

5. Jasper Blue and Jay

I use a cotton ball under his ear to test and when we're done I rip it in half and put half on either side of his ear and squeeze to stop the bleeding.
    Originally I was using neosporin+pain before the test but I was baddd at it and used too much and then subsequent tests gave an error message for the blood being too viscous :( So I stopped using it but last night after we were done I practiced putting a tiny bit on for the pain relief factor of it if nothing else.

I can't bring myself to do his feet, I don't want to do to his feet that he needs to walk on ...what I've done to his little ears... but also it looks scary in the video lol I think I'm just going to try to test less, maybe go outside the sweetspot a tiny bit and use neosporin more, etc. poor little dude.

Bellasmom likes this.
  6. Bellasmom

Their pads are so thick bella never even flinched, just an idea for u

7. Jasper Blue and Jay

So Jasper ate "enough" for his insulin this morning, but neither guy was that interested in their breakfast and left most of it behind and both guys were stalking all over the place looking for something better... Bailey climbing on tables (they aren't allowed on tables and rarely break the rule lol) looking for something... Jasper sniffing everything, even standing up on his hind legs to sniff all parts of all the furniture lol...

So.. .I'm pretty sure they're just looking for those purebites. (Which are hidden upstairs in the bedroom, shhhh don't tell the guys.)

But.... a few days ago I cut out the sardines and pumpkin they were getting just to try to eliminate any unnecessary variables that have unknown effects.

So that left me with nothing else to give them today... and Jasper is at +3 and they hadn't stopped searching for food all morning so I broke out the sardines and they're BOTH eating them like they're ravenous...lol... again... so grateful for my non-diabetic control subject because I'd be so worried about Jasper if it was just him doing this.

8. Jasper Blue and Jay

+6 354 :(

So clearly .25 is not worth even trying to do because last nights accidental "skinny" version clearly didn't do anything for him at all...and i'm starting to get concerned about how dehydrated he seems to be based on how long it takes for him to bleed and how little blood comes out. I forgot to add water to their sardines earlier.

Definitely doing .5 tonight... if tomorrows AMPS is just as bad as todays...I think we have to do 1u ...

Trying not to feel defeated, I know there are going to be crappy days but... I practiced measuring .25 a LOT and thought I could do a good size .25 and then last night the plunger was weird and like...stuttering... and I didn't want to mess with it and try to redo it so I just went with the small .25 it had. :(

Anyway... tonight we do .5. I have been able to sleep well last few nights and can stay up with him next couple of nights if I need to increase to 1.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  9. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

I've been kind of curious about this. I'm hesitant to use Neosporin for whatever reason. One of our q tip obsessed civvies got into a q tip resting on a glycolic peel sheet in the trash once and needless to say it was an ORDEAL that made me feel like an awful cat mom. As a result I'm always terrified about poisoning. I would feel more comfortable using something I knew was cat safe should he get some on his paw and lick. Is there a particular brand you've used?

10. Jasper Blue and Jay

I use the generic neosporin+pain cause I saw it recommended. I did look it up and ask a vet a long time ago and they said it was fine cause you don't use that much. But I don't have any sources to site.

MamaMug likes this.
  11. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I've used the neosporin + pain relief on my cat and we didn't have any issues. Some have also used vaseline to just help the blood bead up a bit.

12. Jasper Blue and Jay

+6 162 , Having some regular pate food now, gave him so much water in his food today..and he's rehydrated now cause he bled SO easily just now there was so much blood I almost threw up. Yikes.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    Djamila and Bellasmom like this.
  13. Bellasmom

I’m so proud of you guys, look at that beautiful blue numbers and great job on testing!

14. Jasper Blue and Jay

Thanks so much you're gonna make me cry! lol just did his amps and it's his lowest amps yet!

Bellasmom likes this.
  15. Bellasmom

That's awesome
    Maybe @EricH. Can guide u on dosing, as I know nothing about prozinc..u know like how long to wait before increasing and such