4/30 Sid - WOOT! She ate a little on her own

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tena and Curry(GA), Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

Spoke with the vet this morning......

What's the dosing for cats on Ondansetron? Sid is just a hair over 8 lbs.

No vomiting...not interested in eating....still having the diarrhea.....goes up to the food and sniffs...walks away.

I did ask about a pill for Flagyl....she said yes......I've been really hit or miss on keeping Sid from foaming after getting the flagyl....if it hits the back of her throat there isn't any foaming....but that's not always easy to do as she knows what's coming....

I did also ask about Ondansetron.....Vet sd she never prescribed it before.....She sd she would need to find out the dosing for it......and call me back. I also spoke w/a physician and nurse practitioner at work about reglan vs ondansetron....they work in oncology so they precribe this stuff all the time.....So vet probably doesn't prescribe it because of the higher cost.....I guessing....since reglan is less expensive.....

Thanks you all so much.

lots of luv,
    tena

2. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Re: 4/30 Sid update and ?? on dose for Ondansetron

I would get the Ondansetron 4 mg tablets. A usual starting dose is 1/4 tablet twice daily.

Reglan is very popular with vets, but from what I see reported here, it is not very effective for nausea in cats. A common side effect is agitation.

3. Tena and Curry(GA)

Awesome. At least she was open to researching it...its a start.....

4. Linda and Bear Man

It is a good start. I wonder if some vets prefer to order a medication they have in house and can charge for. They don't make a profit from writing you a script. That's the cynical me talking.

5. Linda and Bear Man

6. Tena and Curry(GA)

I think you are right! :smile:

7. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

I don't know about the heart interactions. So do research this. Thank you to the poster who pointed that out.

Metoclopromide/Reglan is ineffective in cats for nausea due to their biology. Its effective if the nausea is due to low stomach motility where there is issues with the stomach digesting food/moving it through. The article I linked to yesterday explains why its not effective in cats. I think its something to do with chemical receptors in the brain differ from dogs.

8. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

We used Reglan with Zener when he stopped eating and it was effective. However, after using for two weeks, we noticed an increase in his tremors from his CH and he was scratching at his throat. Sienne told us about how the drug works and that it can cause central nervous system symptoms. Our vet took him off of it and the symptoms disappeared within a day. We have been using the 1/4 tablet of Ondansetron twice a day with no problems for about 2 months now. We have continued with the Ondansetron because we sometimes have to use appy stimulant (we use a tiny sliver of cyprohexadine) and Karrie advised us to use an anti-nausea drug if giving appy stimulant. We also use Cerenia periodically with good results as well. I have not read anything about issues with long term use of ondansetron.

9. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Agree with Linda although I gave Teddi 1/8 of a 4mg tablet because she only weighed 6 lbs.

Sending Sid tons more healing vines. I hope you are able to get plenty of calories in her with the a/d and syringing.

Many hugs.

10. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

YAY SID! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Woohoo!!! Keep eatin', little girl!!

12. Tena and Curry(GA)

Yippppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and Yahoooooooooooooooooo

Sid ate a little kibble this afternoon.....about 40 calories of the EVO...

So my Vet was suppose to call me back today.......ummmmm.....didn't hear from her by 3...she left at 11:30.....she's got a child so I hope everything is OK.

So I got the flagyl pills but not the Ondansetron, yet.

The diarrhea seems to be slowwing down as well. And she came out to the living room this afternoon which she hasnt done since last week ( I could see her on my kitty cam from my iPhone while I was at work)

So things are looking up.

Thank you all so much. I'm breathing a sigh of relief right now.

Luv you guys....lots and lots.....bless you all!

t

13. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

Wow, I didn't realize Sid was so tiny. I'm glad she ate a little. That's the first step.

I've never given any anti-nausea or vomiting meds. Luckily I haven't had that problem to the point where it needed medication. When Calli wouldn't eat, I was able to successfully syringe feed for only a few meals before she ate again.

Come on Sid, start feeling better little sweetie!

Hugs,
    Melanie & Racci

14. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Just the kind of subject line I was hoping to see!!

15. Linda and Bear Man

Woo hoo! All you need to do is threaten to give the Ondansetron, and she improves. Good stuff. I like Marjorie's suggestion on the 1/8 tablet.

16. Daphne#5 GA

Daphne#5 GA Well-Known Member

Oh, how wonderful, so great to see that Sid ate something!

Still sending lots of vines for little Sid.

17. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Good news to hear Sid is eating, baby steps! Sending more vines for eating and healing. Hugs

18. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Yay for Sid! Continuing to send eating vines.
    Liz

19. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Yay!!! Great news! When Tarragon had pancreatitis, he was 10 pounds and they had him on 1/4 tablet of Ondansetron. Healing vines for Sid that she keeps eating. ((((hugs)))).

Were you able to get the flagyl pills? If not, let me know and I can send you some tomorrow and you would have them Wednesday. I just refilled the prescription and have a bunch.

20. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

:D :D Great news!

Ella & Rusty

21. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Woot is right!!! Yay Sid!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.