? 4/4-4/5 Fred +2.5 355, +PMPS 229, +2 474, AMPS 583,+3 572

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Purrberry, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

What's going on?? I have no idea what's happening with Fred last night/today. He's really been turning a corner lately, so this is out of the blue.

I was really surprised to see his +2 from last night, especially since he was kind of sliding down from a previous bounce. It WAS slightly food influenced, and we did have family over for Easter, so possible stress from that. However, the 200 point upward jump seemed way out of line. Now today...these terrible numbers. I thought for sure when I tested him at +3 he'd have come down at least a bit, but no luck.

Is this a bounce?? It just seems like the jump happened SO quickly, and for no reason. I've certainly shot lower than 229. He's definitely not feeling great. He's been peeing every 2-3 hours. I've checked for ketones three-times- negative. This has not happened in some time, so I just don't get it. He is eating fine, thank goodness.

Question- because Fred bounces so hard, should I be thinking about using R when necessary? The thought is very scary to me, as it's just one more variable. But I hate seeing him in these numbers, even for a day. I'm also in NJ, and I don't even know if I can GET R without an Rx. I think some have said it's at Walmart? If I were to have some in my arsenal, which syringes would I use?

Thank you in advance.

2. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Purrberry likes this.
  3. Lisa & Oberon

Lisa & Oberon Well-Known Member

I got it OTC at a CVS (more expensive than Walmart, but I was lazy). No prescription needed, but I called ahead just to make sure they had it in stock. Seems like you're getting to a high enough dose of Lantus to start considering the various things that can cause insulin resistance (IAA, acromegaly, etc.), and if that's the case it might be worth discussing R with some of the mods here with experience. But I also see that you're getting some blues, which is great! And it looks like he clears his big bounces pretty quickly, so R might not be all that important. Not sure why the big bounce today. Is there a possibility he got into some carbs yesterday with all the houseguests around?

Purrberry likes this.
  4. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

ACtually, CVS would be great, because I do not have a Walmart nearby.

Fred was actually tested for Acro/IAA, and was thankfully negative for both. But I do have this lurking fear of acromegaly.

He has been as of late, yes. Thank goodness! He used to take days. I hope he can kick this one, if that's what it is, quickly as well. At least he's out of the blacks...he came down to 449 at +7. Still crap, but I'll take the general direction!
    No, I don't think so. He's really not one for people food, and he was upstairs most of the day. Perhaps it was stress. I wish they could tell us!

Thanks again re: CVS. Do you use the U-100 syringes?

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

No, that's not a reason to start R for Fred. We usually use R for cats on higher doses or those with ketones issues. He needs to start getting used to normal numbers to stop getting him bouncing so much. The way to do that is to get to a dose that'll take him there. It's time for an increase to 6.0 units. More insulin will also tamp down the height of the bounces. As an example of getting used to normal numbers, take a look at Oliver's spreadsheet. Still a work in progress but so much better than a few weeks ago.

Some cats are just bouncier than others. It took Neko a year before she stopped bouncing to reds. :rolleyes:

6. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

Something is not right here. He was 528 at PMPS. He’s never stayed elevated to this degree over the course of an entire day. He hasn’t had one single bite of dry food all day. He is eating fine... Hungry, in fact.

I gave him 5.5 units, because I don’t like to increase overnight, but injected 40 minutes early.

i’m frightened as to what is going on.

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Neko had a few all black days. She got over them. Did you look at Oliver's spreadsheet? And those numbers were with a human meter. The AT reads higher and makes it look worse.

8. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

Thank you- it helps to know others have been through it.

Oliver’s SS is amazing! What a break/turnaround! I was hoping Fred was on the same path.

The AT definitely gives a....more robust...reading...lol. I guess I’d rather have worst case scenario and be pleasantly surprised!

will try and get a +2 before bed.

9. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

470 at +2. Not a huge difference given the 20% possible difference in readings, but I’ll take it.

Lisa & Oberon likes this.
  10. Lisa & Oberon

Lisa & Oberon Well-Known Member

Oberon was stuck in the 300s (and sometimes higher) for about three months until we finally hit a dose that worked for him. We started using R because of the high Lantus dose due to IAA, combined with elevated ketones (but no DKA, thankfully) because of the persistently high BG. In his case, the IAA means that his insulin needs could potentially change suddenly, and using R + Lantus gives me more flexibility to vary his insulin without a big Lantus depot in play. I think Wendy's right that your best bet right now is to keep working with Lantus until you hit that breakthrough dose. It looks to me like he's on the right track.

11. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Well, it's not black! :bighug: You're doing great, Kathleen. There are some nice blues on Fred's ss. It would be nice to see more of them...and some greens too:)....and less bounces...give it time. Best of luck with the increase to 6u.

12. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

Thanks, everyone. Unfortunately, we had a rough night. I'll transfer this to a new thread for today.