? 4/5 James AMPS 351, +6 111, +12(PMPS) 184

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by carolinemyers, Apr 5, 2021.

1. carolinemyers

carolinemyers New Member

(This is on Relion Prime) James is getting 2 units of Lantus. 4/4 PMPS was 145/149 when tested again so vet told me to skip his shot. I'm not comfortable shooting at his number tonight of 184 (tested again at 185). He ate about 1.5 oz of fancy feast for dinner before testing his BG. So now this is two nights in a row of insulin I am not giving him.
    Am I feeding him too early? too late? I was giving him insulin while he was eating meals but he threw up on 4/3 after his shot (went hypo) so the vet told me to feed him before insulin.
    Is his insulin too high? After the numbers from his curve on 4/1 my vet told me that they wanted to up his dose of Lantus, but I was still transitioning him from an all dry food diet to an all wet food diet so I wanted to wait. He's been all wet food since 4/2.

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Caroline

Was James started on on Lantus on 3/31? Was he on any other insulin previously?

We usually test the BG, feed and then give the shot - some people find it easier to give the shot when the cat is eating. We also do not feed 2 hours before shots. This is to ensure that the PS number is not food influenced.

I do not see any numbers on your SS for 4/3 (April 3?) to indicate that he went hypo?

Lantus is a depot insulin and works best when the same dose is given twice a day. Rather than skip, it would make sense to shoot a lower dose twice a day. Why not try 1.5U twice a day?

Getting a "before-bed" test in the PM cycle would also provide you with valuable information on how James is doing on a dose. Many cats go lower at night.

I don't know if you have read the sticky on the dosing protocols we follow here:
    Dosing Methods: Start Low, Go Slow (SLGS) & Tight Regulation (TR)

Link to your previous post: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/maybe-hypo-maybe-dka.245649/

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  3. carolinemyers

carolinemyers New Member

Lantus is the only insulin he's been on, started on 3/1 but I didn't start testing until 3/31. The reason there's no hypo numbers on 4/3 is because I wasn't home, my mom found him in the morning super lethargic and he had thrown up the food that I had given him along side his PM shot. The AMPS number I tested on 4/3 is after gravy food and honey.

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Caroline
    Can you write in the remarks column of the SS what happened with the hypo event you described please for 4/3? That would be very helpful for us to see that documented. Thanks.
    You are wise to not increase while transitioning to a low carb diet. Only do one thing at a time.
    If he was on2 units when he had the hypo event I would reduce the dose. Now that you have given 1.5 units I would stay with that dose for at least 6 cycles unless he drops low again.

Bandit's Mom likes this.