4/6 Jasper AMPS 354 /+5 262 / PMPS 299 /+3.5 213

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jasper Blue and Jay, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Jasper Blue and Jay

Jasper Blue and Jay Member

Had to leave food out at +7 last night because I couldn't keep my eyes open and he was lower than I'm used to.

So now I don't know when he ate it.

But they're both acting hungry and it wasn't much food and my wife thinks it's fine so ...we're going with it.

He's been kind of excessively cleaning himself...I thought it was awesome last night cause he hadn't been cleaning himself for a long time, but now it's getting freaky.

And right now he has a ton of drool...which I'm not remembering he did the other day too.

These are not normal things for him, and the seeming to hallucinate and drooling are signs of hypo and I'm not positive but he does seem to be focusing on the areas where he gets insulin when he's excessively cleaning himself. Not exclusively but...enough to be weird.
    So I'm still looking for info if anyone has any, about changes in behavior that are seemingly hypo-like even when the test says 170-200s range. It makes sense that his body would react to low levels he's not used to even though it's not hypo. But I can't find anything to confirm it one way or another.

I just checked the skin around the area where we shoot in the scruff area for redness or anything and it looks fine, the vet had shaved a spot in that area for me so I can see it pretty well... since I'm going to stick to that area from now on anyway because he doesn't seem to get any benefit from shots in his rear flank/leg area.

? = Does anyone have any links that talk about cats *acting* hypo-ish just from "lower" numbers for them that aren't actually hypo numbers?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  2. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

Yes. It is possible that he is just not used to being in healthier numbers. If the tests are within range I wouldn’t worry about hypo. My kittty acts a bit different when we get good but lower than usual numbers. Don’t panic. You are doing fabulous :bighug:

Jasper Blue and Jay likes this.
  3. Jasper Blue and Jay

He's 262 at +5... but eating like he's ravenous right now...

I'm seriously starting to think there might be something wrong with the meter...

The day we were at the vet he was only 299 on a cat meter.... where he had been in the mid 300s at home...consistently...and the cat meter runs higher right?

If our store has a cheap meter that comes with strips I think it might be worth trying another meter.... then we'll have a backup anyway :(

4. Jasper Blue and Jay

Poor Jasper... still doing the weird hallucinatey thing... I have some music playing on the tv to keep me motivated to catch up on all the cleaning/work I've neglected through all this... and he's curled up in a box under the tv while Queen is playing "Under Pressure" and his little hallucinatey face combined with the music makes me think of people who take lsd and play music like that on purpose lol... my poor little dude....

He seems fine otherwise, and instead of just testing him every time he's weird I'm just making sure he gets food every time he looks for it since he needs to gain weight anyway.

And he's been getting cuddles when he's awake and lots of sweet talking and invitations to look out the window, etc, lol. So hopefully with more calm soothing attention and less of the negative testing attention he'll feel even better soon.

5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Did you read the "dear mom" letter I linked in one of your earlier threads? My hunch is, he's just being a cat. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

While I definitely encourage you to relax and not feel like you need to test constantly, remember that testing is not negative attention. ;) Testing comes with lots of cuddles and chin scratches and head kisses :kiss: and treats. The love that surrounds it is a big part of the reason our cats start asking for tests after awhile.

MamaMug likes this.
  6. Jasper Blue and Jay

Well we had to stop the treats cause I went overboard with them with the extra testing and he got dehydrated...though I should be able to go back to just one! lol with every test.
    Also, this is stuff he never did before and stuff that resembles hypo symptoms so not just typical cat stuff , so I'm still going to keep watching him for it.