4/6 Loose Lips - another Metacam loss

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Karrie and Maverick, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Another loss of a beloved kitty to renal failure today on the Yahoo Feline Assisted Feeding forum thanks to a a clueless vet and short term dosing of metacam. My heart is so heavy. They are the "experts" yet they are killing pets. I have such a hard time making sense of how they can get away with this and be so lax in their knowledge. Don't be a clueless owner. Make sure you ask before a vet administers an injection even in an emergency and make sure your files are explicit in your instructions for no metacam.

On a positive note, my Sister in law is being induced tonight. My brother is expecting his first child - a little girl. My heart gets refilled thinking about them seeing and meeting their daughter for the first time. She is delivering 20 days early but is already a six pound baby and 'term'. I can't wait till I can share pictures of my niece with all of you. I'm babysitting two teacup chihuahuas this weekend. They are very needy.

Hugs to everyone who needs them.

2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

(((Karrie)))

What does it take...how many lives? This is so sad. :sad: :sad:

Congrats on being an aunt!!!! I know you will dote on your beautiful little niece.

Hope you, DH, and all the critters are well. We miss you.

3. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

oh, that is so sad. my acupuncture vet is recommending it to me for punkin - i've told him about the experiences here and he says it's all about dosing. he gives it to his own cat every 3 days. Carolyn/latte gave me some info to send him because he asked me to get details about the situations that i had heard about. haven't sent it yet.

earlier today lori/gizzy posted about a NSAID that's in use in other countries, and squeem posted a link to an FDMB post by Larry/Kitties on NSAIDS. that link went to a Journal of Feline Medicine post that recommends meloxicam (metacam) for cats, following dosing procedures as well. however, the caution is out there for older cats (over 8-10 is what it said) and for cats with existing conditions.

i have wondered, if kidney failure doesn't show up in blood tests until it's 75% compromised (which i read here, but can't tell you where), then how would you ever know if your cat had some level of kidney compromise? do you just assume a diabetic cat likely has some kidney function loss?

congrats on the almost-arrived niece! how exciting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.