? 4/9/21 Kierra-caliper dosing with 1/2cc syringes

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Diane and Kierra, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Diane and Kierra

Diane and Kierra Member

Since I need to use two 3/10cc syringes for Kierra's insulin dose now, I am wondering about switching to 1/2cc syringes. Has anyone figured out caliper dosing for these larger syringes (ie, how many mm=1unit)? Is caliper dosing for 1/2cc syringes going to be very accurate? I would probably use Sure Comfort brand of syringes.

These are the only instructions I have found for figuring out the unit dosing with a caliper:
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dosing-with-calipers-updated-w-videos.79851/
    "find as many near perfect syringes as possible where the zero mark lines up perfectly at the top. Measure all of them to see if you can get a pretty consistent measurement in mm for 1u. It also helps to double check it by measuring between the 1u and 2u marks."

Do I need to worry about where the zero mark is if I do the caliper measurement between two units other than the 0u and 1u marks (like between the 1u and 2u marks)???

2. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

I use 2 syringes for Howie’s 30+ doses (currently down to 39 units!). Calipers sound scary so I’d rather use the 3/10s! Also, stick with the Sure Comforts! I switched to a different pet syringe and Howie totally knows the difference and twitches at shot time. So Im Using them as fast as I can so I can go back to the Sure Comforts that he didn’t even acknowledge I was using (in the past).

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

If you need 1/2cc syringes, they you do not need that accurate doses since the dose is so high. I use 1/2cc syringes not because I need them because someone gave me almost a box of 500 of them. They are great when you dose in 1-unit increments. Snuffles is now on 6 units Levemir and 10 units N. His dose keeps creeping up.

4. Diane and Kierra

Diane and Kierra Member

I use the caliper with the 3/10cc syringes (Sure Comfort brand) already. They are 1.34mm per unit so not hard to use since @JaxBenji already figured it out. I was wondering if anyone uses calipers with the 1/2cc syringes. It would be a lot less work to only have to fill one syringe rather than two.