? 5/13 Benny AMPS 426 +4 70

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ben&Squirrel, May 13, 2022.

1. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/5-10-benny-amps-335-1-337-2-250.263125/#post-2948077

Hi everyone, I'm flummoxed. Benny's AMPS was as I expected; he never wakes up with a very low figure, and since I did a fur shot yesterday I really expected it to be about at that level.

-At +4 the Libre said 100 and I thought it was a fluke reading. I checked with a manual meter. The manual meter said it was 70!

I gave him some LC and he gobbled it up like he had not eaten this morning.

I'm expecting a bounce but am really shocked by this. Never saw him drop so fast before.

What could have happened to lead to such a drop? Any recommendations about monitoring/feeding today?

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Looks like he’s breaking a bounce. Try and get a +2-+3 every day to have a heads up. Test again in 30 to see if still on the way down ir starting a bounce.

3. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

tiffmaxee likes this.
  4. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Lc and check in 30.

6. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

+5.5 94

When should he eat next? He has eaten 2.5 small cans of Weruva so far today, more than normal, and just scarfed it up.

Just so I understand what has happened, I should have checked him at +2 or +3 (I thought I had been testing too much; should have checked earlier today). We gave him LC to make sure he did not go further up, then more LC to make sure he did not bounce?

7. Bandit's Mom

Seems to be heading up so you can take a break from testing and feeding.

When did he get food between AMPS and +4? The onset for Lantus is typically around +2 so a test then will give you an idea of what kind of cycle it will be.

8. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

He got it soon after AMPS. I did not know about the onset for Lantus--that helps, and I won't go without a +2 again.

9. Bandit's Mom

A test at +2 can act like a crystal ball of what the rest of the cycle is going to look like.
    • If the +2 is about the same as the PS, it's usually going to be a pretty normal cycle - gradually down to nadir and then gradually back up to the next PS.
    • If the +2 is a lot higher than the PS, that usually means there's a bounce starting and it's usually OK to take a little bit of a break from testing.
    • If the +2 is (a lot) lower than the PS, that's your early warning that it could be an "active" cycle and numbers might go a lot lower later in the cycle and it's important to try to get more tests.
    Of course, some cats have an onset later in the cycle like +2.5 or +3. In that case, a test at +2.5 or +3 would be a better indicator than a +2.

10. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

Very helpful, thank you. You have mentioned to me that I should at least take a +2 before bed and I think I understand why a bit better now.

Can you tell me where in this process it would have been appropriate to give some MC, or would it not have been appropriate at all?

11. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

+7 is 81. Feed more LC? @Bandit's Mom

Edited to add: I fed him a very small amount of LC. +8 is 188.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
    Bandit's Mom likes this.
  12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Nice stretch of greens today.:D Sometimes you can see active cycles as part of fur shot recovery.

A question for you, what dosing method are following? You signature says TR, the top of the spreadsheet says TR, but after 4/25 your spreadsheet says Began SLGS.

13. Ben&Squirrel

Ben&Squirrel Member

I'm amazed and glad to see the greens. :) I'm using TR; I changed the spreadsheet for the starting day of Tuesday just now.

Wendy&Neko likes this.
  14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Perhaps put a blank line with TR on it - details get hidden in the Remarks. Good luck with the switch.