? 5/14 Oren; AMPS=478;PMPS=561;+5=478; sneezing fits?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Megan & Oren, May 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Megan & Oren

Megan & Oren Member

Yesterday
    One glimmer of a better number late last night. Possibly due to higher activity level in evening, lots of running/playing w/ his sister? maybe the bupe helping any pain? But this a.m, a bounce from that?
    Tomorrow, i email the vet and say I'm upping because these numbers suck. If she won't agree I'm doing it anyway. the question is, .5 or .25? Or, what if she recommends a full unit? that would put him to 5.5 (tho she thinks hes at 4 now).That's still below where he was, but 1 full unit increase seems extreme...

he still seems pretty good overall. Got more of the DM relative to FF this a.m, eats if, but still not until eating the FF first, so i think he does prefer the FF. Hasn't pooped since Tue night, so perhaps the bupe is starting to affect that. I might increase his miralax...

probably won't know until tomorrow a.m. whether DBF will be coming down; Amtrak re-ticketed him for tomorrow but i still find it hard to believe the route will be clear by then. This is so terrible, the accident now sounds like it could have been prevented w/ a technology called Positive Train control, which auto overrides an engineer if it senses the train is going too fast. But it's not implemented on that section of track. So frustrating.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with the vet and the dose tomorrow. Sorry you are having all this trouble.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

When in doubt for the dose, I look to the TR protocol sticky for guidance. Here is what it says to do after a reduction, which is essentially what you've done:

If an attempted reduction fails, go right back up to the last good dose as soon as you see kitty's numbers trending upwards. You don't have to hold the reduced dose for a certain number of cycles before taking the dose right back up. The guidelines listed under the topic "Increasing the dose" do not apply to a failed reduction.

While 6.25 wasn't a last good dose, it was better than 4.5 units and maybe a place to start, though you could go back on the line to 6.5. Be aware that if you do a big jump up, sometimes that cycle you'll see a good reaction, though it may not be sustained.

Good to hear that the bupe is helping Oren feel better. Love to hear that he's playing. Pain relief can make numbers better.

Paws crossed a miracle happens and DBF can visit.

4. Brian & Tyler

Brian & Tyler Member

Hello. No advice from me, just popping in to cheer you two on! Keep up the good work and follow the protocol! Best wishes to you and Oren!

Megan & Oren likes this.
  5. Megan & Oren

Megan & Oren Member

crushing. no visit this wknd, Amtrak finally sent the official word I knew would be coming. And tonights PMPS is heartbreaking also. I can't do this to Oren. If the vet wants to send me a nasty gram and say we're done so be it, but I'm going to send one last 'try and make nice' explain myself note tonight and up him in the morning, in spite of her "don't do anything w/o checking with me first". I can't stand to see him in these numbers. One yellow in 5.5 days isn't near good enough.

I honestly don't know if i can take a lot more right now. I'm heartbroken on so many levels. Sorry to pity wallow here, but there aren't many places I can and this is so difficult alone. My relationship is also under a lot of stress now on top of everything and I feel like a schmuck for letting this vet bully me, but also was afraid to walk away in the middle of the new pancreatitis development.

will just have to have a good cry, buck up and get on with it I guess. Wish I had Rose's (of Rose and Zoey) amazing resilient attitude...

6. Lori & Lulu

Lori & Lulu Well-Known Member

The price of being human...can be a lot to bear at times.
    A virtual hug :bighug: is being sent your way. Sometimes a good cry is what is needed.

7. Rose

Rose Member

Oh, girl ... :bighug: you just need a cyber hug, that's all. You've got this. Step back, look at the total picture and ask yourself if there's anything that you can do better or that you haven't tried? Only you can answer that. Whatever your answer is, act on it. If there's something you feel you can do better (like manage Oren's BG), then do it. If you've done all you can in other areas, like your relationship, then the problem isn't yours. You do what you have to so that when you replay it all in your mind, you know that you did the very best you could and be satisfied with that. Anyone who isn't satisfied with your efforts or demands more from you than your best doesn't much matter anyway. (This goes for vets or boyfriends - IMHO)

And there's nothing wrong with a good cry. It cleanses the soul and helps us see things better. :bighug:

suki & crystal (GA) likes this.
  8. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

((((Megan)))) I bet there isn't a member here who hasn't wallowed in their own( especially me)Pity Party or two at some point or another!!! This is a Support Forum afterall! Feline diabetes alone is a tough disease to deal with, sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to the response to insulin, and the numbers can drive you crazy! To have to fight with your vet over Oren's care is not what you need right now! :bighug::bighug: So cry, or sing at the top of your lungs, or eat a carton of ice cream, or go for a run or set yourself in front of the TV and watch movies, whatever it takes to clear your mind. (I used to like to go for hikes pre-FD, not I settle for a walk in the neighborhood or shopping trip LOL)

I know you are hating those black and red numbers(been there, done that) Please remember Oren is so much more than a bunch of numbers on his SS- if he's eating, feeling good, looking good, peeing, pooping, playing, purring, preening and willing and able to give you a kitty kiss or head butt- that is very important and should not be forgotten! All the smart people on this forum told me this when we were new here, and it still holds true! He will get back on track!

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Oh I hate those black numbers, they always gave me a black mood too. :bighug: Megan, you are doing a great job, way more than many people would do for their kitty. And Oren is the better for what you are doing. Remember, you are the one that lives with Oren and sees him every day. You know him WAAAAY better than any vet could ever do. Listen to him, cuddle him.

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Megan, I can feel your pain and frustration.:bighug::bighug:
    I think Wendy gave you really good advice. You have essentially done a reduction which hasn't worked and as Wendy says the protocol says to go back to the last good dose or best dose so far.

When Sheba has high numbers I always give her extra fluids in her food to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated from doing the extra wees that come with the higher numbers.

Hang on in there Megan. Take some deep breaths and know you will get through this. :bighug::bighug:
    Remember you pay the vet to work for you!
    I think you are doing great job looking after Oren and you are being a wonderful advocate for him under pressure.
    I am sorry your DBF isn't coming this weekend.

11. Megan & Oren

Megan & Oren Member

(First, HUGE hugs and appreciation for everyone who has sent encouragement this evening, I truly would lose my sanity if not for all the wonderful people here, and I'm sorry for being such a wussy tonight)

Oren has had several sneezing fits tonight; first one after his dinner/shot, and then again a bit later, and again just now. He throws his head back and sneezes 4-8 times straight, and then seems a little disoriented afterwards. He is currently lying on the couch next to me and seems a bit uncomfortable. I don't see any obvious nasal discharge, or teary eyes; but something has irritated him. He's halfway through his course of Bupe; is this perhaps in anyway a side effect? or perhaps the Fortiflora? Last night he was pretty perky and even running around w/ his sister. Tonight, he's numbers are much higher, and his energy level is much reduced.
    (and another 2 sneezes as I finish writing this):(

12. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

I wonder if he has allergies - is this typical for him? or kitties can get colds (upper respiratory infections).

I agree with Wendy about the dose. I wonder if he's not feeling great tonight partially because of the high numbers. If he were mine, I'd go back up to 6.25 and see what happens there. I say that not considering your vet issue, just looking at his spreadsheet. No idea what to do about the vet.

Great job getting those checks in for ketones.

It's a rough time for you. Sending you a big hug.

13. Megan & Oren

Megan & Oren Member

Julie; he hasn't typically had allergies that I've noticed before. He's now in the kitchen, and I can hear him sneezing again. this just came on quite suddenly tonight. I suppose he could have the start of a cold... he hasn't typically suffered from them before either...

I am actually in the process of writing a long email to my vet right now. I may suggest to her that she might prefer the SLGS protocol. I've been involved in an extremely informative, thought provoking thread about this issue (TR protocol vs. vet resistance) which has gotten me thinking hard about the whole thing too.

14. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

No advice from me Megan but sending you lots of :bighug::bighug::bighug: and hope you soon feel more positive. It helps to have a good wallow from time to time, we have all felt the pain and frustration that goes hand in hand with FD. Hope you find out what is causing the sneezing fits, sounds like some sort of allergy. Take care.

15. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Should you decide to go vet hunting, see my signature link Vet Interview Topics.
    Do a search on "Veterinarian near City, your State or Province" and see what pops up near you as possible candidates. There may be some reviews available, too.

Hang in there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.