5/14 - Shen - AMPS 84, +2 65, +4 50, +6 61, +8 68, PMPS 82, +2 107, +4.5 74, +6.5 83

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nimi S, May 13, 2023.

1. Nimi S

Nimi S Member

Link to previous condo: https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...25-70-pmps-97-2-118-4-81.277493/#post-3071197

I was adjusting the AM dose in the syringe today morning and happened to notice how big 0.5U seemed to be looking. So I drew another syringe out and sure enough, the first one seemed to hold almost an extra 0.5U in it. I was going to go with the second syringe but it slipped from my butterfingers, so I had to bring out a third one, which while not as different as the first one, also seemed to have slightly longer markings.

I wonder which one was the right one.

Picture for reference:

syringe variange.JPEG

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Yes, this is a problem with all brands of syringes. The plunger when fully pushed should line up to the zero mark but it often never does. The one in the middle is the closest to being accurate. Even then you might be injecting around 0.10U more or so. Have you been checking for zero errors when using the syringes?

3. Nimi S

Nimi S Member

Nope, this was the first time I saw the zero mark at that low (high?) a starting point. I'd like to believe I hadn't used such a syringe before but I can't be sure.

I've saved the middle syringe for future reference, but how would I go about checking for zero errors in the future, if I had to?

4. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Before using a syringe, push the plunger fully to see if it aligns with the zero mark when fully pressed.

It's not the most accurate way to do it, but if you see say 0.5U over the zero line (when syringe is vertical with needle upwards), you would adjust by drawing 0.5U less. Do you get what I mean? Say your dose is 1U and there is 0.5U over zero, then drawing to the 0.5U mark will give you 1U.

For now, I would suggest that you set the syringe with errors aside and use the good ones. Once you are done with the good ones, go to the bad ones.

5. Nimi S

Nimi S Member

So, here's another pic of the same 3 syringes. The first one clearly has some space between the base of the plunger seal and the zero mark. The second syringe's seal base kind of overlaps with the zero mark. And the third one's seal base is just at the top of the zero mark. Would the third one be more accurate than the second then?

syringe plunger flush with 0.jpg

syringe parts.jpg

Yeah, I'm going to stick with this. I'll leave the adjusting to the pros. :D

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I used BD syringes, drove me crazy how far off they could be, almost 1/3 of a unit. At one point Neko's dose was under the zero line. :rolleyes: I ended up using digital calipers to measure how big the dose should be from the real zero, measured from pushing the plunger in.

Nimi S likes this.