5/17 Kitty has lung cancer

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kathy and Kitty, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Just back from the vet, who sees diffused cancer throughout lungs, compared with relatively clean routine x-ray from December. She (the vet) showed x-rays to another vet there, and she will show them to a radiologist this evening.

She feels it is metastasized from elsewhere, because it is so widely diffused throughout his lungs. She feels it isn't uncommon for it to come on this quickly. I have felt he was "off" for a month, but it didn't seem urgent until last night, when he started stomach breathing. (Meaning, expands whole abdomen to breathe.) She says it's because his lung capacity is so diminished.

His breathing is somewhat labored, which is why I took him in today - just not right. Has lost 3 pounds since December. Eats a little. Alert and purring, but stomach breathing.

Vet's advice is to help him go. She thinks it's day by day. We do not want him to be in distress, so we are prepared to do that, have a call in to someone who will come to our house.

He just celebrated two years OTJ. He's about 13.

Input and good thoughts welcome.

2. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

oh kathy .. I'm so sorry to hear this .. I have no advice to give, but lots of prayers being sent your way ... :sad:

3. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

OMG NO Kathy are you sure it's not his heart or something that can be treated with medication? Jackson breathes like that too on and off and had an echo which shows he has heart disease. There are many things that can cause that kind of breathing as a matter of fact. are they SURE it's cancer? I feel so bad so awful I don't even know what to say. (((((Oh Kathy))))) ((((((Kitty))))))

4. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

This is all based on an X-ray? You need to have an echo done? Like I said, Jackson has this and then it will go away completely. Then come back somewhat. He is on meds for HCM and thyroid but they saw no cancer in the echo. Are they positive?

5. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

(((((Kathy)))))
    Aww, no, no, no! My heart just sank when I saw this. I am so very sorry. This just isn't fair.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and I truly wish I could take away the pain you must be feeling.

...tears....

6. Kathy and Kitty

She showed me the two x-rays side by side. He has lost 3 pounds in six months.

We have a radiologist looking at the x-ray in about an hour.

7. Kathy and Kitty

I will ask the vet, but the weight loss, the abdomen breathing and the comparison between the x-rays.

8. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Kathy. I hope it's not true and there are miracles still to be had.

9. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

(((((Kathy))))) thinking of you and hoping for the best.
    Liz

10. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

I sent you an article just now Kathy. Whatever it is hasn't been treated that's why there's a difference in the X-ray. But a difference in what? I would not trust this decision to a simple set of X-rays...not just because of breathing difficulties that can be caused by many things. The medications have made a big difference for Jacky. Some days he has trouble but he is happy and he is eating like a little pony on most days and yes, he has lost weight. I would ask for an echo and make sure before coming to any serious conclusions.

11. Complick8d

Complick8d Well-Known Member

Thinking of you and Kitty. :(

12. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

(((Kathy))) I am so sorry to hear this. I am sending lots of snowflakes to Kitty. You will both be in my thoughts.

13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

((((((((Kathy))))))))

I am so sorry. The words just are not adequate. I wish I could do something to make any part of this easier. You and Kitty are in my thoughts.

14. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

((((Kathy)))). Sending you and Kitty many, many prayers. I have to say I would agree with Caryl. I would get a second opinion and an echo. I remember when on of our kitties had asthma, they were talking about the diffuse patterns in her lungs. Can they tell you how it looks different from an asthmatics lungs? I know asthmatics, when it is severe, will breathe like that.

15. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Jackson is breathing like that a little bit today. and for a few days now. every time I tell my vet he always says it could be a number of things. I sent Kathy a whole list of all of the things that can cause breathing like this.....cancer being one of them. But it is just one thing. And for a cat that has had only one health problem to all of a sudden be told he has lung cancer I'd sure want to know where they think that this primary tumor is that hasn't caused any physical problems but now has manifested itself as lung cancer. I'm not saying it's impossible. I'm just saying I love Kitty too and want to know everything there is to know.....

I have had a cat with cancer whose symptoms came on very suddenly....but when he had an ultrasound, they found that tumor right away.

16. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to here this! Holding out hope the radiologist sees something different. We had a CT scan on Smokey to confirm a spot in her lung that the vet and radiologist couldn't rule out after finding the mammary cancer and the CT did not pick it up as looking to be cancerous. They CT'd chest and abdomen so they were able to find all her lumps and bumps :)

Once the radiologist has read the Xrays can you consult with an oncologist? Even if you are not wanting to prolong suffering (the ones I've worked with wouldn't give me the option) you could possible get a better understanding of exactly what is going on.

Its what our oncologist calls staging and I think a very common lung cancer diagnosis method. We will do it with Smokey since she had mammary cancer. Every 3 months we will do xrays of her lungs to compare and watch for changes. Other forms of cancer can metastasize into the lungs and this is the only way to really find that it has done that. The appearance of multiple masses is usually the trigger for the diagnosis.

17. Kathy and Kitty

We discussed asthma, and I agree with the vets.

18. Kathy and Kitty

Kitty is going to cross the bridge tonight.

He is very sick.

We can't make him well. I don't know if he will get through tonight, and we don't want to put him distress.

He is going there soon, so let it be in peace and love at home.

Please light candles and think good thoughts.

19. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

wings_cat

I am so glad he can do so at home with all the love surrounding him. I am sorry you must have your heart hurt by the loss of a loved Kitty.

20. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

(((Kathy))) (((Kitty)))There is nothing can be said to ease your pain. You made a decision for your special boy because of your love for him. Bless you for that.

Kitty, safe journey, fly free and land softly. All our other GAs will be waiting to greet you and you can run free.

21. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

(((((Kathy))))) (((((Kitty)))))

We will light a candle for Kitty tonight to guide his way. I am so sorry that he is very sick, and I know that he will have a peaceful passing at home, surrounded by love. Kathy, you made the right decision for your boy. He was telling you something and you listened. Sometimes we just "know". Kitty will always be with you.

We will be thinking of you tonight.

:YMHUG: :YMHUG:

Ella & Rusty

22. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Kathy. I'm so sorry to hear about Kitty. Bless your heart. You and Kitty will be in my thoughts and prayers tonight.

Lots of love
    Tena and Sid

23. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

((((Kathy and Kitty))))

I am glad Kitty will be at home in your loving arms.

24. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

(((Kathy))) just sending love and hopes for peace tonight for your dollbaby.

25. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Kathy))) I am so sorry. My heart and prayers are with you and Kitty. We will also light a candle for Kitty.

26. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Kathy I am so very sorry to read this. Kitty will be sorely missed by all of us.

I am glad that KItty will be at home, in your arms, surround by the love that you have for each other. I will be thinking of you tonight. HUGS to all.

27. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((((Kathy and Kitty )))))) Our thoughts and prayers are with your at this time

28. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

((((((Kathy))))))

My heart is breaking for you. This is the hardest decision of all and the most enduring of gifts you can give your sweet boy. I still have the memory of your being such a worried bean. When you didn't realize that Kitty could come down the dose ladder by spending a week in green numbers, you were so happy. I was glad I got to tell you that (and I have always thought that if Gabby were to ever be ready to go OTJ, I would want her to do so the way Kitty did). I am lighting candles and hoping it is a calm and peaceful crossing. Kitty will always be in your heart and never truly gone. Thank you for having shared him with us all.

Fly free and land softly little one. There will be many who we dearly love who will waiting to meet you at the Bridge.

[​IMG]

29. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

((((KATHY)))))
    I'm so sorry about Kitty :cry:

safe crossings sweet ((((Kitty))))
    ((((hugs))))

30. meand4

meand4 Member

Im very sorry to hear the news of your furbaby. It's never easy. You are doing what's best for him. Sending you strength. Hugs to you both.

Sheri
    Cow
    Monkey
    Spliff
    and angel Sugie

31. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Oh Kathy, we are so very sorry. You are such a wonderful loving bean for your special kitty. And you are giving another loving gift to help Kitty across the bridge. All of our GA kitties will be waiting for Kitty and Kitty will always be in your heart.

Anne, Liz, Zener and Tillie

32. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Every once in a while a furball that you never even met creeps into your heart and your soul and the fact that you actually never met doesn't matter because he is in your heart. I have had Kitty in my heart since the first moment I laid eyes on him and words can not express the sorrow I feel. I can only imagine how Kathy and her husband must feel. Losing Kitty is quite a loss. My candle is lit and I am so so sad and sorry my dear friend. (My city's in ruins). And you know that I am here for you.

Fly Free Handsome Sweet Boy...I will never forget you

Love to you all,
    Caryl

33. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

(((Kitty))) I am sending prayers for a peaceful crossing surrounded by his family who loves him.

34. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

((((Kathy)))) ((((Kitty)))) I'm so very sorry Kathy....peaceful crossing Kitty, fly free and be pain free.

35. twinkiefreekitty

twinkiefreekitty Member

Kathy, I'm so sorry. I'm new here, but have had to let a lovely, loved cat go and I know how hard it is and how brave you are for helping him. We are lighting a candle here and sending gentle love.

36. Michelle and Doodle

Michelle and Doodle Member

(((Kathy))) Not prolonging the suffering of those you love is such a difficult - but loving - decision.
    You have always been such a good mom... and such a good supportive friend... I'm truly sorry. Keeping you close to my heart.
    Fly free sweet Kitty.

37. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

(((((((Kathy)))))))) I've lit a candle for Kitty. My heart breaks for you and if love was enough he would live forever. Keeping you and Kitty in my thoughts. Wish I could give you a real hug.

38. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((((((((((((((((Kathy)))))))))))))))))
    I am so so sorry Kathy. What a shock to come on so suddenly.
    Kitty went OTJ just after Max, we were side by side in all of our worries for our boys.
    It seems like it was just yesterday.

Fly free sweet dear Kitty. You are loved by so many here and will be missed greatly.
    We have lit a candle for you to find your way.
    Tears and tears.

39. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry, Kathy. I remember when you and Kitty first came to LL. It was exciting to see your progress and his. I'm so terribly sorry to read this and pray for Kitty's peaceful transition, and peace for those he leaves behind with love and memories. Land softly, Kitty.

40. tortie58

tortie58 Well-Known Member

My thoughts are with you & your family, Kathy. Pls take care.

41. Wonton

Wonton Member

Wonton and I are lighting a candle and saying a prayer for Kitty's journey over the bridge and for your comfort in knowing your love will go with him and his love will stay with you....Hugs....

42. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

(((Kathy))) we are lighting a candle tonight for you and Kitty. May he land softly, surrounded by peace and love.

Thinking of you.

Tamara & Ella

43. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Many, many prayers for you.... :YMHUG:

44. Georgia and Simon (GA)

Georgia and Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

((((Kathy)))) I am lighting a candle for your sweet boy tonight. What a heartbreaking decision, but the right decision. The love you shared together will always be something that you will remember forever. Fly free, brave sweet Kitty!

45. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

Prayers and love being sent your way tonight. I know the pain of that decision and know the bravery it takes to make it. Keeping you all close to my heart tonight.

46. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

((Kathy)) so sorry to hear this! Poor Kitty! I just want to send my support and good vibes! Take it one day at a time and Kitty will let you know when it is time. So sorry you have to go through this!!!!

47. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

What a loving, yet painful decision.....you have decided to not prolong his suffering.

Kitty will never be forgotten...fly free and soft landings.

48. Pumbaa

Pumbaa Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear about your Kitty, and know what a difficult decision it was for you to make to put him out of his misery. My prayers to Kitty and to you.

Suze

49. Janice & Johnny

Janice & Johnny Well-Known Member

Love and prayers going out to Kathy and her beloved Kitty tonight.

50. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Oh Kathy, I am so so sad for you!! My civvie Copper, if you remember, had lung cancer also & went to the bridge in just a few weeks- last May-He was also laboured breathing, in all his lungs, and it was just so fast..
    It was also so staggering as I left him one day for an hour, & when I came back, he was gone...
    My heart broke when I read this tonite, I am so so so sorry, I know what a devastating loss this is...
    But Kitty was loved every minute, as he was too..You will see him again, he will never leave you..Love never dies..My Love & Comnforting Hugs to you tonite--Crying for your loss!

51. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

And so we say goodbye to another of our beautiful furry companions that we love so much. I am so sorry for your pain and sadness in saying goodbye to your sweet Kitty - but you are taking his pain and saving him from any further distress. That's such a difficult choice.

My heart goes out to you in you sadness. What a relief that Kitty can go to sleep in his home in your loving care - hopefully peacefully and pain-free.

Fly free sweet Kitty - and give our love to all of those who have gone before and who wait at the Bridge to welcome you.

Emmy & Dude (& Mittsi too)

52. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Kathy, we all share your grief. Sweet Kitty was in all our hearts. You were so brave to put Kitty first tonight. As always you did what he needed you to do.

Lighting a candle for Kitty. Fly Free and Land Softly.

[​IMG]

53. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

May Kitty go peacefully and may you be comforted in the knowledge that you so bravely gave him this last gift of your great love and let him go. (((Kathy))) I am so very sorry.

54. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

Kathy

I am so sorry. I always just flip over to Lantus to read the posts and saw the post about Kitty. You were always there to give me kind words when I had such a hard time with Lilly.
    I am so sorry Kitty is so sick, I can barely get through the tears to type this. So Sorry, my prayers are with you.

Terri

55. JaniceandSpike

JaniceandSpike Well-Known Member

Fly free sweet Kitty.

56. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Fly Free Dear Kitty....till we meet again...
    (((Kathy)))

57. Jennifer & Saima (GA)

Jennifer & Saima (GA) Member

I am so, so sorry. Words are not adequate here. This is heartbreaking and it's just not fair. I am so sorry you have lost your sweet Kitty. You are in my thoughts.

58. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry. There are just not enough words...Sending you prayers of peace and comfort.

Fly Free Kitty! wings_cat

59. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so very sorry.

May you find comfort in this time of sorrow.
    May you find joy through the tears.
    May you find happiness in your memories.
    And most of all, May you find peace.
    Fly free sweet boy you are much loved and will be sorely missed. Until you meet again.

60. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Kathy, I am so very sorry to hear about Kitty and so sorry that you had such a terrible decision to make. I'm glad you were strong enough to help him leave quickly and peacefully. You've been such a good mama to that boy. He will be greeted with much welcome and joy by his friends that have gone ahead of him.

Hugs and peace and one day, bittersweet smiles and fond memories.

61. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

jan and Hep and sara (GA) Well-Known Member

Kathy,

I am so so sorry for your loss. You and Kitty had a special bond and that will never change. Thanks for sharing him with us. I loved him like one of my own and my heart is breaking with you. I think you made the right decision by not letting him suffer. Glad he was at home with the ones he loved when he passed to the bridge.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.

[​IMG]

Fly Free Sweet Boy

62. Rocket & his Mom

Rocket & his Mom Well-Known Member

We are here for you Kathy!
    So sorry you lost Kitty :(

You know how to get a hold of me....I'm here anytime you need me

Fly Free Kitty...you go on and make friends at the bridge...your mom will miss you dearly but we are here for her....

63. Kathy and Kitty

My friends, you are comforting me. Thank you.

I will write more tomorrow.

64. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

Dear Kathy,

I'm so sorry for your loss of sweet Kitty. I know how much you will miss him but you did the kindest thing you could for him and gave him a quick peaceful end in his own home in your arms anyway, the hardest thing to do. Please take care of yourself in your grief and remember the good times.

Hugs,

Melanie & Racci

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.