5/23 Newman AMPS 302

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Linda and Newman, May 23, 2022.

1. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

2 units should do the trick. You are home today too

Linda and Newman likes this.
  3. Suzanne & Darcy

And try to get some food in him at +1 and +2. We need to figure out some food he will get up and eat. At least food at +2.

4. Suzanne & Darcy

You’ve had some lower pre shots before - but very similar to today’s number.

5. Suzanne & Darcy

I will check in in about 2 hours

6. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Yes, home today.

I got the 205 at 7:45, and waited. At 8:00 I retested and he is 302. He does get about 4 Wellness treats during the testing routine - bait and reward. I will go ahead and feed him as usual.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  7. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

At 9:30 he was 445 and he ate a bit more after that. He is on the bed, but I will give him a little break from testing. I'll aim to test again around +4.

8. Suzanne & Darcy

Seems like a big difference- from 205 to 302 in 15 minutes??

9. Suzanne & Darcy

I think this is a big bounce now from yesterday. I hope it won't last too long.

10. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

The time frame was 205 (at 7:45) 302 (at 8:00) shot him at 8:15 then 445 (at 9.25)

Maybe I posted it wrong on the SS. I'm going there to check.

Thanks

Add test 476 (at 10:30)

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  11. Suzanne & Darcy

I've been trying to figure out what happened on my end. When I looked at your spreadsheet this morning and said you've had lower pre-shots, the spreadsheet was not updated. I was on my phone and I saw yesterday's pre-shot number of 280. I never saw the 205. Anyway, I doubt if there will be any excitement today.

12. Suzanne & Darcy

Spreadsheet looks okay to me now. How about you?

13. Suzanne & Darcy

The title of today's thread should be AMPS 302 though.

14. Suzanne & Darcy

Can you put a link to yesterday's thread in post #1 of today's condo? Go to yesterday's thread and copy and past it from your browser's address bar.

15. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Yes, I forgot to include the link. I've added that now and updated the heading on the thread. I think it is all good now. I'm headed to the shower.

16. Suzanne & Darcy

How did it go today, Linda?

17. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Hi Suzanne, I think we had a day as you probably expected. He was high for the first half of the day and then started to move down steadily to his PMPS 270. He has eaten a small amount of food since his evening shot. I plan to test at +2 (10:15).

18. Suzanne & Darcy

Well, I am glad that he is back in yellow and not so high. But I do hope he will have an uneventful day tomorrow!

19. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Question. I think that I will switch to a ReliOn Meter. I am using so many test strips and paying $50+ for the AlphaTrak strips. I have that because that is the meter that the vet sent me packing with. Is it best to use them both consecutively to transition, or just make the switch?

20. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I have therapy tomorrow afternoon, leaving the house at 2:00. I was thinking that he will be okay on the 2u dose unless his PS number is wonky. Do you think he may not be?

21. Suzanne & Darcy

As long as nothing looks amiss tomorrow morning and he’s eating well, then I agree that he should be okay.

22. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Yikes! Suzanne, I just posted a blue AMPS 152. I wonder if I should go ahead and feed or stall for 20-30 minutes and test again?

23. Suzanne & Darcy

Stall for 20 okay?

24. Suzanne & Darcy

No food yet.

25. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Yes no food. He didn't even get a treat after poking him. Thanks for checking in early.

26. Suzanne & Darcy

Let's see if he's rising on his own. He would do this today, of course!

27. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Second test results 238.

Is that a big jump?

28. Suzanne & Darcy

I think it shows that he's coming up on his own at the end of the insulin cycle and that it will be safe to go ahead and give him the regular dose.

29. Suzanne & Darcy

Do you want to give him a little food first and then shoot, or just do it all at once? My only concern is that you will be gone from about +6 for a while, right?

30. Suzanne & Darcy

And if only we could get some food into him in the early part of the cycle... or get him to eat some food before you leave at 2 p.m.

31. Suzanne & Darcy

What time do you think you will be home?

32. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Probably be back from appt. by 4:30

I like to feed and then shoot.
    I can adjust the shot time to accommodate my absence. So I'm looking at shooting at 9:00 then I will be leaving at +5 and return by +8.
    I guess that is the worst time to be away.

I want to do the safest thing even if I risk missing out on the lower numbers. I'm not a risk taker in that sense.

Can I just reduce the dose or would that be bad?

33. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. It would be better to be gone in the morning, but it is what it is, right! You're doing a great job. He is definitely on his way up. Another option would be to take a temporary reduction to 1.75 units. But shooting late can act as a dose reduction anyway. It's only about 45 minutes late (9:00 that is). Will this make you have to stay up too late tonight?

34. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I like the reduced dose.
    I can stay up tonight as necessary.

35. Suzanne & Darcy

Good. I just thought I would offer that as another option. There were many times that I needed to do a temporary reduction with my cat due to not being home or trips to the vet, etc. I feel better about it, too.

36. Suzanne & Darcy

Since you are all set with Newman for a while, I will go take my shower :)

37. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I feel best reducing the dose, based on the numbers and my being away this afternoon. His fasting BG this morning was 152. Delayed 20 minutes and retested. He had come up to 238. Decided to feed and shoot 1.75 units, a more comfortable zone, all things considered. Posted on spreadsheet.

Thank you, Suzanne.

38. Suzanne & Darcy

Good job grabbing Newman for a test. I hope your therapy goes well.

39. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

He was at the top of the cat tree when I went out and he was still there when I returned. Lucky for me, he jumped down and hopped up on the desk so I poked him and got that 181 @ +8. Both cats thought they were starving so I went ahead and fed them.

I posted a question yesterday and it got lost in the discussion so I cut and paste it here.

Question. I think that I will switch to a ReliOn Meter. I am using so many test strips and paying $50+ for the AlphaTrak strips. I have that because that is the meter that the vet sent me packing with. Is it best to use them both consecutively to transition, or just make the switch?

40. Suzanne & Darcy

I am glad he’s doing well! Yes, the WalMart ReliOn meter strips are about $17.88 for 100. You can do it either way. Some people will take both meters and will compare them at first (using one drop of blood.). The ReliOn will read a little lower than the AT, so that may scare you a little at first.

41. Suzanne & Darcy

The difference between the human and pet meters tend to be greater in the higher numbers and closer in the lower numbers. Either way, with the SLGS protocol, a reduction would be earned if he goes under 90. On a human meter, the take action number where you intervene with higher carb foods, etc. is below 50 on a human meter and below 68 on an AT.

42. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

After withholding food for 2 hours, Newman was 308 . I shot 2 units. I thought that would be okay since the reduction this morning was to accommodate my absence. I just checked him at +2 he was 388. He has finished his food allotment and seems to feel fine. I probably will not be up for 2 more hours unless necessary.

43. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I'm not sure how to use what I learned yesterday @Suzanne&Darcy when I stalled on the low AM test. This morning at 7:40 (+11) he is 175. I did give him 2 units last night, believing the reduction to 1.75 yesterday AM was temporary. Please help me get straightened out.

At 8:05 he is 206. I will go ahead and feed him and then decide so I give 1.75 or 2.0 units?

Last edited: May 25, 2022
  44. Suzanne & Darcy

I would give 2 today

45. Suzanne & Darcy

And then tomorrow you can decide based on his numbers. Normally, consistency is important, but you are almost done with therapy.

46. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Funny. I had just removed the cover from the syringe to shoot when your reply popped up. I paused and read " I would give 2 today". I had loaded the syringe with 2 so I shot it. It may have been a tad skinny. Thank you, great timing!

47. Suzanne & Darcy

I checked in on his spreadsheet last night before bed and saw the 308. Figured you had everything under control!

48. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Yes, I expect tomorrow to be the last therapy in this session and I will be good for 3-6 months.

49. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Yes, I was comfortable last night based on the 308.

50. Suzanne & Darcy

Gradually, we need to get him out of pinks and yellows as much as possible. Preferably blues and greens. Those highs are rough on the body over time. But I was encouraged to se that blue yesterday when you got home because out temporary reduction worked and yet he didn’t go red or even worse! I was a little afraid of that, but I wasn’t willing to risk a serious drop while you were gone. We will see what happens today.

51. Suzanne & Darcy

Newman has been running a bit high today.

52. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Yes, a little high. I wanted to test him a bit more but he was unavailable to me. He started the day in yellow and I was encouraged when he returned to yellow, too bad I don't have a test in between the 380 and 258.

As you can see, I shot 2 units this evening and will try to get a test or two in before bedtime.

I agree with your earlier statement about keeping him in the blue and green numbers. I will actually be pleased if he is maintaining blues.

Last therapy session tomorrow in the series. The therapist is one of the nicest people I have met, but I'm always glad when I get to take a break. The breaks last for three to six months.

53. Suzanne & Darcy

Good morning, Linda.

54. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Good morning, Suzanne. I didn't realize that you are such an early riser. It is 8:00 AM and I just tested Newman. He is 222. I will go ahead and feed him and I then plan to shoot 2 units.
    My appointment has been changed to 12:30 today so we will leave at noon. There are a couple of quick stops to make afterward so I will probably be out until 3:30 - 4:00.
    Do you think that dose is a good one?

55. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. I think it will be okay. Just feed him a little or leave something out on the coffee table for him (which hopefully Ozzie won’t eat.)

56. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Thanks, he will probably eat a bit before I leave. I will check in when we get back.

I hope you have a good day.

57. Suzanne & Darcy

You too!

58. Suzanne & Darcy

Ack! I was just checking to see if Newman cooperated with you to present himself for a test before you left. But you will be home in an hour or so

59. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

He was starving when I came in the door so I allowed him to eat the remainder of his FF from breakfast. He ate it and barfed it up. I had to put away the frozen groceries so I had him wait for about 15 minutes and gave him about a tablespoon more food. He seems to be keeping that down. I just tested him, after all of that and he is 82. (+7.5)

60. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I gave him about 6 pieces of Dr. Elsey's Clean Turkey as test treat. I will check him again at 4:00

61. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Test at 6:00 (+10) is 130. He has nibbled at his FF dinner off and on since about 4 PM. If I am to stay on schedule and shoot at 8:00, it is now time to "close the kitchen". I tried to coax him for a couple more bites, but he wasn't interested. I guess we'll see what's up at PMPS. Decisions, decisions. I hope you will be able to check in on us.

62. Suzanne & Darcy

My cats like the Dr. Elsey's clean protein (as treat)

63. Suzanne & Darcy

What time you want me to check in. I was just getting ready so set an alarm on my phone for about 7:45?

64. Suzanne & Darcy

Just for information, did he have any food available while you were gone? Or was that impossible because of Ozzie?

65. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

No food while I was gone. He was under the bed, sleeping when I left and wasn't interested when I told him he should come for some bites. lol When we returned, he had moved to the top perch on the cat tree, so I don't think he was feeling poorly in those lower numbers.

I shot him this morning about 8:15, so I will test this evening at 8:00. If you could, maybe check around 8:00 and hopefully he will have cooperated. He usually does so in the evening.

Thanks.

66. Suzanne & Darcy

Okay. "see" you at 8:00. That was a good number actually.

67. Suzanne & Darcy

I’m checking in. If low. Stall don’t feed and retest in 20

68. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Well, 198 seems low to me compared to his usual PMPS numbers, although his day was somewhat unusual in my absence. I'll retest in 20. Thanks.

Edit to add: He is very hungry. He jumped up on the dinner table while my grandson was eating chicken. He never jumps onto the table!

69. Suzanne & Darcy

No chicken

70. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

No, no chicken. He hasn't eaten since around 6:00. A couple of treats for testing.

71. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

72. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Since he didn't go up very much, 198 to 203, I will wait 20 minutes again and then decide what to shoot. What do you think?

73. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. You can stall more.

74. Suzanne & Darcy

What time will it be when you next test?

75. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

In a few minutes, 8:40

76. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

77. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

What do you think of a skinny 2 units?

78. Suzanne & Darcy

Okay. Sounds good.

79. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Thanks for the standing nearby. It makes a big difference to me.

80. Suzanne & Darcy

You are very welcome!

81. Suzanne & Darcy

Good morning, Linda. Can you start a new thread this morning?