5/25 Cooper PMPS 86, +1 94, +2 76, +3 69, +4 57, +4.5 58, +5 57, +5.5 62

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by JL & Cooper, May 25, 2024.

1. JL & Cooper

JL & Cooper Member

2. JL & Cooper

JL & Cooper Member

53, Cooper. :facepalm::facepalm: Should have given him a +2 snack… +3 snack given, will test again soon

Last edited: May 25, 2024
    Staci & Ivy likes this.
  3. JL & Cooper

JL & Cooper Member

First Hypo number…. Gave 15%, will test at +5.
    He’d been needing a snack mix of 4% w/ 15% to stay above 50 this morning. But he’s basically flat

Last edited: May 25, 2024
  4. JoM

JoM Member

Youve been getting some great numbers. I wonder if it might be time for a reduction if you have to feed higher carbs to keep him above 50. Ive been at this for almost 5 months and I cant get Karamelle regulated. We keep flip flopping doses up and down. Shes at the low end the last 3 days, with an occasional bounce. Still pretty confusing for me. No advice, just a hug. :bighug:

JL & Cooper likes this.
  5. Angela & Cleo

Angela & Cleo Well-Known Member

@JoM is right! Since Cooper is a newly diagnosed diabetic (less than one year) that lime BG (47) has earned him a reduction to 2.25 tonight. Congrats on the reduction

JL & Cooper likes this.
  6. JL & Cooper

JL & Cooper Member

Thanks Jo, I appreciate it! :bighug: Today did feel different; he hasn’t needed food to keep him up on the others cycles. Was sad to see that 47, but agree that this cycle in general (even without the 47) was asking for a reduction.

JoM likes this.
  7. JL & Cooper

JL & Cooper Member

Thanks Angela! Was planning to reduce, so good to have confirmation. :bighug:

Angela & Cleo likes this.
  8. JL & Cooper

JL & Cooper Member

One hour from PMPS, so I know that number is still coming.. but as of now is it safe to shoot his new reduced dose? I’ve shot in the 60s a couple times this week already, but does how AM cycle went today change things at all? Thanks for the input!

9. JL & Cooper

JL & Cooper Member

PMPS 78. I fed him, he’s hungry. Unsure about shooting? He’s heading up, which is helpful, but been very low all day.

10. JL & Cooper

JL & Cooper Member

Shot given after 15 min delay and retest (food had been eaten). Fingers crossed he’s flat tonight

11. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Sorry no one responded earlier! Congrats on the reduction. :D

Why were you unsure shooting? He was headed up like you said, and he has begun to flatten out beautifully so you will find yourself shooting a lot of green.

The higher depot will continue to affect the next few cycles. The depot takes 4-6 cycles to adjust, so you might have to use carbs to keeps him over 50 in that time. See if he decides to bounce tonight from that lime and give you a night off. :)

JL & Cooper likes this.
  12. JL & Cooper

JL & Cooper Member

Thank you! And it’s ok! Ultimately I checked some other spreadsheets for similar scenarios, to see what was likely to happen tonight (I know ECID).

I was partly unsure because of the existing depot…. Just the unknown of what tonight would bring, since it’s a change in cycle pattern. There’s been so many tests the last 24 hours, and I’m not sure he can do 5+ hours of that again tonight. I also knew I’d read in the past couple months on other’s threads, with similar situations, times when they were encouraged not to shoot. I couldn’t remember what those reasons were, and was afraid his prolongued low cycle today would end up being one of them. :) I just wanted reassurance, I suppose.

13. Bandit's Mom

The only time we ask caregivers (who are used to lower numbers and shooting low) not to shoot is if the depot is clearly overfull and numbers had to bring up. Then a skip is useful in draining the depot. In some situations where the CG cannot monitor etc, we might suggest a skip or a token dose. Otherwise, you can shoot any number over 50 (human meter) without stalling.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

JL & Cooper likes this.
  14. JL & Cooper

JL & Cooper Member

Ok thank you, that’s helpful!

Apparently Cooper wasn’t interested in that bounce! :p

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  15. Bandit's Mom

I saw! :D:D:D

I should also warn you that sometimes cats flip a switch to green and race down in dosing. I see you are on vacation for a couple of days in a week or so. Will someone be there to test and shoot?

16. JL & Cooper

JL & Cooper Member

That wouldn’t shock me at all, based on this week!

That vacation is a problem…. It’s on my spreadsheet as warning of what’s coming…. :banghead: Everyone *he* knows is on vacation the same weekend we’re gone, and boarding isn’t an option. And our last pet sitter can’t test him, granted he wouldn’t let her near him for a shot anyway (and it wouldn’t be safe to try this time without testing). So I’m out of ideas at the moment. Which I realize, isn’t great.
    (Food for those days isn’t a concern though)

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  17. Bandit's Mom

Many of us can't find petsitters who can test or have kitties who won't let them test. So that's not an issue. We suggest a lower "vacation" dose for safety.

Let's take a call on dose closer to the date depending on whether you find a sitter who can give him shots or not.

18. JL & Cooper

JL & Cooper Member

Ok thanks. That was our intention on the last trip. I’m anticipating him missing 4 doses again this time, but we’re trying to see if we can figure something out… especially with how good his numbers are looking.

btw, +4 57

Bandit's Mom likes this.