5/29, Susie, No Yellows. Exhausting Day.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Summer and Susie (GA), May 29, 2021.

1. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...-1-98-2-58-3-57-3-5-66-4.247917/#post-2796540

I thought she would be bouncing this morning. Surprised with the AMPS. Another day "on my toes" I think. Of course, Susie is always taking me by surprise so we will see.

Thanks for everyone's support and comments yesterday. I hope you are okay, Adrienne. Seems Dolly wants her breakfast before you are ready to get up. :arghh:

AMPS: 188, Fed 1 oz l/c (2%)
    +1: 112, Fed 1 tsp l/c
    +1.50: 66, Fed 1 tsp m/c
    +2: 42, Fed 1 tsp h/c with a "blob" of honey followed by a few PureBite treats
    +2.25: Fed 1 tsp h/c
    +2.50: 51
    +2.75: 60
    +3.50: 67

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Luci's taking care of the bouncing for everyone this morning :)

Have a great day Susie! Enjoy the warmth!

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  3. Summer and Susie (GA)

What is your weather like in Michigan? This should be a beautiful time of the year up there - shouldn't it? When do you come back to Florida? In the fall? I'll bet Luci girl is happy to be settled back in to her northern home.

4. Summer and Susie (GA)

112 at +1. She didn't get much of a food bump which is a little worrisome. I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't decrease her dose by .25. Will keep a close eye on her this morning.

5. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

YEA!!!!! No bounce:cat::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Historically she doesn't get much of a food bump usually, I think because the Lantus onsets so fast for her.

I see that 66 in the spreadsheet, slow down Susie geez! If it were me I'd feed a bit of MC, that's a steep dive early in the cycle. And retest in 20 mins.

7. Summer and Susie (GA)

I just fed 1 tsp m/c at +1.5. This is making me a little nervous. She is dropping sooner and faster than yesterday. I really might have to consider a reduction. I don't care if I have set my reduction at 55. I believe her body is trying to tell me something.

Pamela & Amethyst likes this.
  8. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

:eek:Easy pretty one!!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

It does look like she wants to make a fast trip down the ladder. My only thought would be if she bounces from this and is high tonight, if you reduce she might get stuck up there a bit.

On the flip side if you don't reduce and she breaks, that might make for an interesting night

10. Summer and Susie (GA)

What do you mean by "if you don't reduce and she breaks"?

11. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I'm saying that if she bounces from this, she's been breaking bounces fast. So the momentum of a bounce break plus this dose may keep you up all night, if she bounces. She may not!

I think she bounced last night coming into PMPS and broke it overnight, so basically within 1 cycle.

She's been at this dose got awhile, no harm in trying a reduction, though the depot will still be in play. Let's see what she does today

12. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Well that settles that, 42!

I would give a tbsp HC since you're still before nadir. A tbsp might be a bit much but rather safe than sorry.

13. Summer and Susie (GA)

I just gave a tsp of h/c with honey but maybe I'll go back and give her a little more.

14. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

She's never dived so far this early, that's the only reason I'm saying a little bit more. In the last when she's been low, she started low.

I know you know, but test in 20, and again at the 45 min mark from now because the honey will wear off. Probably will need to keep her propped up with food through nadir, but hopefully only MC or LC after this

I don't think she's letting you off the hook today!

15. Summer and Susie (GA)

I gave her another tsp. of h/c at +2.25. She is definitely not letting me off the hook. When I get her in safe numbers I will have a little talk with her :woot:. She will most certainly be getting a reduction tonight. Thanks for your support, Melissa. I'm going to check her again in five minutes.

Emily + Zen and FrostD like this.
  16. Summer and Susie (GA)

51 @2.5. I did not give more food this time since she came up a little. I'll check at +3 and see how the h/c food is really doing.

17. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Wow, what a morning, Summer! :coffee::coffee::coffee: You're doing amazingly well! Susie got her reduction, and hopefully you can keep her steady and surfing for a little while.

The steep drop early in a cycle, while totally nerve-wracking, is a very good sign, especially two days in row without too much of long or hard bounce in between. She's gaining good momentum, shows her pancreas might be waking up a bit. All great things! :woot::woot::woot:

Emily + Zen likes this.
  18. Summer and Susie (GA)

Okay, she is coming up. 60 at 2.75. I think we are out of the woods even though she hasn't reached her nadir time (+4 or +6?). I'll check her at 3.5. Never thought I would breathe a sigh of relief when Susie got a 51. She is ALWAYS full of surprises.

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  19. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

What coffee do you drink? I need this level of pep in the morning :smuggrin:

20. Summer and Susie (GA)

Melissa and Pamela were my "wing men" today. I could not be doing this without support. I am learning so much. Like for instance what you are always saying that "cats are unpredictable" and when to use l/c, m/c and h/c cat food. I also am learning to trust my gut. It told me yesterday that I needed to reduce but I did not listen. I really don't like mornings like this. She dropped so fast and so quickly. I just want low, steady and safe numbers. Maybe I will do better on a reduction. I just hope I don't lose all momentum.

21. Summer and Susie (GA)

Folgers Columbian. You can't go wrong with Columbian :D Actually, I think I was running purely on adrenaline this morning.

I should stop and give a nod to Mr. Kitty's spreadsheet yesterday. Nice blues and green!

22. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Susie came back up. I hope she keeps surfing safely. Congrats on the reducie. Susie is doing really well.

23. Katherine&Ruby

I for one am glad you did not reduce. This is what it takes for you to get Susie into those lower numbers, this is the work you have to do. If Susie is indeed on a mission, you will only have to do this for a short while. It's worth the sacrifice to get her into those blues and greens you want for her. Don't get in your own way. You can do this, lady! We're all cheering you on!

24. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thank you, Carla. It was nerve wracking and I was telling Melissa that I never would have thought I would have given a "sigh of relief" at a 51. Hope your girl gets some blues today!

25. Summer and Susie (GA)

But even on TR, which I am not on, it says to reduce at 50. Isn't that a safety measure?

26. Katherine&Ruby

I meant it was good you did not reduce last night or this morning. You have to reduce her next dose.

27. Summer and Susie (GA)

Okay, I understand. May I ask a question. What does it mean when someone says their cat is "carb sensitive". Does that mean they react strongly to increases or decreases in carbs or they don't really show much of a reaction to increases or decreases in carbs?

28. Katherine&Ruby

The question is about whether your kitty reacts strongly or not to carbs. The answer to this question, in my experience, changes depending on the place each kitty is on their sugar journey. When Ruby was unregulated and on a mission, I fed her 28% carbs to get her up from low numbers. She was not very carb sensitive during that time. Once she got regulated, I could feed her MC or LC if she dropped below 50 and she came up easily, which means that now she is carb sensitive because the slightest uptick in carb percentage made her blood sugar go up. Make sense?

29. Emily + Zen

Emily + Zen Member

Woo! Go Susie!!! Get those reductions, pretty girl!!! Great job this morning, Summer!!! High fives all around! :bighug:

30. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Pearl (of @Margaret (and Pearl) ) comes to mind as a very carb sensitive cat if you ever want to peek at her spreadsheet

31. Emily + Zen

Emily + Zen Member

Zen is fairly sensitive, too. A couple tsp of 10% carbs brings him up from 50 to 120 within 2 hours. That's what causes his overnight bumps on his SS.

32. Summer and Susie (GA)

Yes, it makes sense. Means they do react to the different carb levels.

33. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thank you, Emily. Like your Zen with his 50 at AMPS, we had a pretty exciting morning. I think if Susie had gotten a 50 at AMPS I would have passed out. You are doing a fine job with your boy, Emily.

Emily + Zen likes this.
  34. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

This is a really interesting thing that never occurred to me. When high, Mr Kitty doesn't usually get big food bumps. But like the last few days he's seeing blues and greens, and now it looks like he's bumping more. Though it's a bit hard to see through the moving nadir and possible bouncing

35. Katherine&Ruby

Until a few months ago I always had 7-9% wet food on Ruby's menu. Less than 5% carb food was not enough to keep her surfing and reductions kept failing. Once she got on the low doses and she got more greens, I transitioned her to raw that has nearly zero carbs and she does fine.

FrostD and Summer and Susie (GA) like this.
  36. Summer and Susie (GA)

A 96 at +9 and I'm getting a little nervous. Usually Susie has come up by now. How should I handle this now before her PMPS because she has been known to drop prior to PMPS. I am already reducing to 1.75 units tonight. Any advice?

37. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

I would get a test at +11 to see where she is at, holding steady or falling. Right now she is holding steady and looks good. But I understand it is lower than you are used to seeing. Unless she falls close to her NADIR at +11 or PS, then I would shoot if it was me. Shoot low to stay low. At the same time, I do TR not SLGS so I shoot when we are pretty low. I don't know if you do that on SLGS or not.

You may have to bolster with more MC and HC tonight after her PS. That is pretty common when kitty earns a reduction (Congrats to you and Susie!). I see two possibilities you can choose (1) You might pre-empt any drop by adding a little bit more MC than usual in with her normal feedings tonight. Might fly a little high might not, but you don't know until you experiment. And if still dropping, then start adding in a little HC to her feedings to hold her steady while the depot wears off.

(2) On the other hand, you can start out as usual with her typical food. And test often. When she starts to drop, that is when you can pre-empt and start adding in a little more MC than usual and if still dropping add in a little HC. It's an experiment to see what happens once reduction is earned. But you can help control it with the food balance you select. This is the option I would choose to go with myself.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  38. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

You are doing great Summer!! Long term, just remember, you don't want Susie going over 100:D
    Breathe deeply - you have gotten some great help.

39. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

I think it is a good sign you haven't fed since +6 and she has held steady. I'd probably let it ride but you can get a +10 and then if she is dropping, that's your opportunity to feed her a small LC snack to keep her surfing. But you have a lot of wiggle room with her numbers right now.

40. Summer and Susie (GA)

I was going to test at +10 (10 minutes) and give her a fat tsp. of l/c and then wait and see how she is at PMPS. I know you shouldn't feed less than two hours prior to preshot. At this point, Jan, I want her to go over 100. Thanks to both of you for your comments and suggestions. Because, on rare occasions, she has dropped at PMPS I want to make sure she has a high enough BG to shoot (over 90).

41. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Ah, I see. So you don't shoot if < or =90? Then in that case, you don't have the wiggle room I thought you had so yes unless really rising @+10 I'd feed a little something. :)

42. Katherine&Ruby

Just be careful of feeding too much. You don't want to shoot a number too influenced by food. Then you might be setting yourself up for a long night. Take it one step at a time. You've shot a green preshot before. This is all very good!

43. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

Sometime (not today when you're already stressed enough) it might be worth updating your signature line to say what your minimum is for preshot value! Btw she is looking so great!

44. Summer and Susie (GA)

She is 7 points away from me not shooting. She got a 97 at +10 and I am SLGS and will not shoot (again) under 90. I did several weeks ago and in hindsight I thought that was stupid move even though everything turned out okay.

45. Summer and Susie (GA)

Yes, and as I was telling Lyla that my shooting a green might have worked out well but I regretted it. She is not the same cat either. Something has changed for her. She is on a mission. Besides her PMPS should not be too influenced by food at +10 - should it?

46. Summer and Susie (GA)

My minimum for preshot is 90 as is required by SLGS. Yes, I shot a lower number earlier but after today I don't think I will do that again.

47. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I think she was on her way back up regardless of that fat tsp, I wouldn't expect a food bump like that. I personally think you're ok to shoot unless she pulls a fast one on you

48. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Summer, boy did you have a busy day, Susie is looking great. Congrats on the reduction. I hope you won't have to be up all night with her. Behave yourself Susie, momma needs some sleep :bighug::cat:

49. Summer and Susie (GA)

I did shoot her reduced dose. I did check her at +2 tonight and she was at 195. I'm going to bed.

50. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thank you, Diane. Based on her 195 at +2 tonight I think I can safely say I can go to bed. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. I'm still looking for those low blue numbers. Something in the middle of the yellows and the greens. It is so wonderful that Tyler has been in remission for so long. I'm sorry I have been remiss in telling you this.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  51. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Our Dolly Girl (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Summer, I hope you don’t feel like I was pressuring you today, I would never intentionally do that. I wouldn’t expect you to do anything that you are not ready to do. I do apologize if it seemed that way, it was never my intention. You are doing such a great job and need to go at your own pace. I have your back, I’m a friend with no expectations of you. I want to be there to help only. Have a good night, get some well deserved sleep. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

52. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

What a busy day you had, Summer! I'm happy to see Susie doing so well. I do hope tomorrow will be a little more quiet for you... maybe just not so dramatic.

53. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Glad it was an early night for both of you.. It's been 4 months so far that he's in remission ( knock on wood) No need to be sorry at all .:cat: