5/30 - Alphyne - AMPS @352 - WEIRDNESS with the shot

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by bobjoh, May 30, 2021.

1. bobjoh

bobjoh Member

(previous) 5/29 - Alphyne - curve night! - PMPS @ 318 / +2 @ 321 / +4 @ 340 | Feline Diabetes Message Board - FDMB

Last night (curve night) was uneventful, but disappointing. Alphyne was screaming at me for food this morning, so I know she's her usual self! :)

However, I had a weird thing happen with the AM shot, and wanted to see if anyone else has had something similar?

I fed her, and while she was eating, I gave her a shot in the right flank. I've been trying to alternate the shot sites more, since it seems like she doesn't do as well when I always do the scruff. Anyway, I gave the shot, held the needle there for a second or two, and then smoothed down her fur and gave her 'boo boo' a kiss. When I did that, the insulin shot out of her skin and hit me in the face!! I could smell it and taste it on my lips! That was so weird!!

So, now after the high numbers night, and a dose increase, she technically got a fur shot. Or a fur leak, as the case may be. I'm starting to wonder if, since her numbers have been steadily increasing, if it hasn't been leaking out at other times as well? I had a fur shot the other day which I swear wasn't a fur shot, since I watched the needle go in, but I could smell the insulin when I gave her the kiss...I'm wondering if the same thing didn't happen then?

Has anyone else seen anything like this? It was just so weird that the insulin shot back out, and not immediately, but it's like the pressure from the kiss forced it out (and I did not smash my face in to her)! :eek::eek::eek:

Thanks!!

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  2. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

That is strange! It will be interesting to see if others have had the same experience.

Suzanne & Darcy and bobjoh like this.
  3. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

I have a habit of giving Ruby her shot, rubbing the injection site afterwards, then put my nose to her fur to see if I got it all in. Sometimes I smell the Lantus on her but most of the time no. If you do smell it then it's a partial furshot, I guess? We can't know exactly how much got in or leaked out tho. I know that subQ fluids can leak as well.

Suzanne & Darcy and bobjoh like this.
  4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Every so often there's a tiny drop left when I pull it out. I did have a few issues where it looked in the fur even though I know the needle was in and not through. That said, I'm also giving 12U at a time lol maybe you just hit a weird spot and it didn't absorb quickly

bobjoh likes this.
  5. bobjoh

bobjoh Member

I do the sniff test when I give her a kiss, too! :bighug: