5/30 Fred AMPS 110, 220 after 20 min stall. Vaca dose angst

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Purrberry, May 30, 2021.

1. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

Well, Fred is pulling his usual "Mom's away" shenanigans with his numbers.

I gave him 7 instead of 7.5 yesterday AM, as that was my planned vaca dose, and I didn't want any depot surprises overnight. I knew he was rising when I left, so his high +10 was no surprise to me. So I felt fine about instructing 7 for PM shot.

Then when my sitter tested him again at +2, I saw the fast drop was beginning. No idea why on a reduced dose. I had her give him 2 extra Tbsp of dry at that time to try and slow things. That was the last test. I SAW him eat at about +7 and +9 (cameras), so I know he did. But there we were...112 at AMPS. I asked the sitter to stall a bit, and sure enough, he was already racing up. But since I don't know how far he dropped last night, I reduced again to 6.5. God knows what he's going to show this evening.

Meddling these doses is NOT good, I know, but I can see that today, he's barely eaten anything from the timers. He just doesn't eat the same when I'm not there, and it wreaks havoc on his numbers.

Ugggghhh!

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The answer is the depot. The larger depot influences 4-6 cycles after you reduce. And is why a one time slightly reduced dose might not do anything for you. The first part of the cycle will likely play out like you had shot the full dose. Same happened a couple nights ago when you just shot 6 units. The the depot pooped out and he popped up the red in the AM. Ditto with the 5 units a couple nights before that. If you really want to interrupt the depot, you need something like half dose or less. Of course, that'll be even higher numbers after that.

The not eating as much is definitely problematic. :bighug:

3. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

Thank you @Wendy&Neko. Definitely good to know.

So if in the future I really want to cut the depot before a trip, and have the vacation dose really act like the vacation dose, would I do one cycle of half the current dose on the day I leave? (I think I'm wording that badly)

And since I've got you here... ;-) OK, so say tonight he's high. Like 350+. 6.5 and risk him not eating? And if he's "LOW"...??

I worry he went into double digits overnight last night. If he was rising that quickly this AM, I'm guessing big bounce. But that type of extreme bounce seems to clear more quickly than others. I don't want to give him too much and risk a repeat performance of last night!

4. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

It seems like you're not getting much of a vacation! Watching Fred all the time... but it is pretty cool that you are in touch with the pet sitter like that and have the cameras. I hope he will eat! How often is the pet sitter there to test? This is why I can never go anywhere without Darcy! I have to take him with me.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

When I had days/nights, when I wanted Neko to be good, I reduced the dose a couple days before hand, to help drain the depot. That'd give me a better idea of how the reduced dose would work than doing a BCS for one cycle then reducing.

How much longer are you away? Maybe 6.5 if he's still iffy on his food. Hard to say if he went low last night, or is just bouncing from a long string of blue or the fast drop.

6. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

Well, we were just down the shore at our house, ("down the shore"= 'beach' for non-Jersey folk ;-)) and it was a terrible nor'easter all weekend. The good thing is that when I'm here, I can always be home in 90 minutes. How I wish Fred were a good traveler, b/c I would absolutely bring him with me and avoid all this stress! But he is not, to put it lightly. And oh, how my husband regrets purchasing me my first camera, a few years ago before we went for 2 1/2 weeks to Australia. I was a wreck about leaving them, and that's when they were healthy! I sneak in my cat surveillance when no one is watching me. ;-)

My poor petsitter...she really did a great job, but she has to contend with my helicoptering. It's a tough routine to learn and handle.

Home this afternoon. I went extremely conservative last night, b/c the sitter said Fred was acting very hungry even after his dinner. That's usually a clue he's dropping fast. Though I can't know, because there was no data, I'd guess he went high yesterday during the day, didn't eat as a result, and then started dropping as the bounce broke. I just couldn't take the chance.

Hopefully, I can now get him back on track...and start the Levemir! (nail biting on that)

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  7. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Would Fred tolerate a Freestyle Libre on him (with a shirt over it?) Maybe it's something to consider while you are away. Then the pet sitter could just read it with her phone and send you the data... you could also know exactly what he did when she wasn't there. You can get the line graph and everything. Just something to think about!

Purrberry likes this.
  8. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

One for the karaoke! "Down the shore everything's all right...you and your baby on a Saturday night"

Second the Libre idea - even better, she doesn't have to send you the data because you can log into the website. Things I have learned - Minnie became allergic, first vet thought it was the monitor but current vet thinks it's the extra glue they used. Minnie was able to remove sensors through kitty pjs - best option so far was put it on the back of her neck and cover with a kitty kollar, next best was to get a soft collar on amazon that looked like a lion.

Looking forward to seeing how Fred handles the Levemir!

Purrberry likes this.
  9. Purrberry

Purrberry Member

Back in my early naive days of the diabetes dance, I figured, "Well, when I go I'll just pop a Libre on him and everything will be easy for the sitter!". Oh, to regain that innocence!

I have looked into the kitty kollar, but I know he will fight it. I actually have the cone shaped like a flower. ;-) And I don't know if that then stresses him out and causes more issues. The two weeks I had the Libre on him were divine..so much data, even when it was buggy. Perhaps it is time to try again on his neck. He's so happy that all his fur has finally grown back. He hates being shaved!