5/30, Susie, 279 AMPS

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Summer and Susie (GA), May 30, 2021.

1. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/5-29-susie-no-yellows-exhausting-day.247952/#post-2797071

I spoke too soon in my post last night when I said "No Yellow". I got a big yellow at +5 pm. 297. As Pamela would say, Susie and I get a "Pokie Break" today. Hoping she will break the bounce at some point today/tonight and I can see what the reduction will do to her numbers going forward.

Wishing all my friends a lovely Sunday and rain for those of us in Florida!

P.S. I never feel pressure from you, Adrienne. I appreciate your advice and support!

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  2. Emily + Zen

Emily + Zen Member

Happy rainy Sunday, Summer! I hope Susie's bounce breaks for you very soon. Will be thinking of you two today!

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  3. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks, Emily.

4. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

5. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Morning, Summer! :coffee::coffee::coffee: Remember the depot for the 2 unit dose is still in effect for a few more cycles so don’t be surprised if you catch a green today. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Congrats on yesterday’s reduction. Looks like she came up pretty quickly. I hope it was confidence building. You are doing great!:D

7. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Our Dolly Girl (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks for your note Summer. I felt terrible. This journey has so many ups and downs and sideways. I just want you to know I am on your side and here for you and Susie. Happy Sunday. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Susie slides down slowly for you today.

9. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Oh, I hope you do get some rain, Summer! We had a really nice rain on Friday night. And behind that were some much cooler temps and very low humidity!

10. Summer and Susie (GA)

Never feel terrible for your advice to me. I totally agree about the many and constant ups and downs and without caring friends like you I could not navigate this journey.

11. Summer and Susie (GA)

Sounds lovely, Suzanne. Today was pretty darn hot here. I don't think we are getting any cooler temps. I am enjoying my "pokey break" but hope to get back to work soon.

12. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Our Dolly Girl (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks Summer. I really felt terrible the whole night. I really appreciate your understanding. Have a good day with your little Susie. I hope it’s a nice, calm day for you both. :bighug::bighug:

13. Emily + Zen

Emily + Zen Member

Feeling this hard today, and wanted to throw my two-cents of support in. The exhaustion of the last few weeks hit me like a ton of bricks today, and when Zen dipped again this morning, I wanted to beat my head against the wall. I think I knew how scary TR could be, but I honestly didn't anticipate the exhaustion, and I felt guilty for being frustrated with Zen's need for monitoring while he comes down the ladder. All we can do is the best we can, and it's important for us to take care of ourselves throughout all of this, too...you have to sleep, too, Summer, and don't feel guilty for wanting that. I guess all of that to say, chin up to both of you. We got this, and we've got each other's backs. This isn't easy, and I'm so glad we have one another to lean on. :bighug:

14. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I've been wondering about something you said yesterday about your no shoot number. Shouldn't that number follow the reduction number? Or am I missing something?:oops:

15. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I hope Susie breaks the bounce soon. You can have all the rain you want here in N.J. it rained all day yesterday and going to rain all day today, it's only in the 50's here
    I'll send it to you :p
    Have a nice day :bighug::bighug:

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  16. Summer and Susie (GA)

I won't shoot if her preshot is below 90. Her regular reduction number is 55 for any other test during the day. Maybe I have got all this wrong but it is the low preshot numbers that bother me. I will stall and if she doesn't come up there will be no shot. I have had problems getting her numbers to come up when she is low. I just won't risk it at preshot.

17. Summer and Susie (GA)

Please, please send it to me. I have been listening to thunder for the last three hours and we are getting no rain and Florida is desperate for it. The storms are going right around me.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  18. Katherine&Ruby

The only problem with the idea of not shooting below 90 but allowing for reductions below 55 is that at some point, the two are going to cancel each other out. Any gains you make with a lower reduction number will be counteracted by skipped shots that will bring high numbers back again, feeding a vicious cycle. I'm not pressuring you to do TR; I do want you to be aware however of the consequences though of picking and choosing reduction numbers that don't conform to shooting numbers and manage your expectations around that. It will be very hard to get Susie to flat blues if you won't shoot 80.

Diane Tyler's Mom and SashaV like this.
  19. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thank you for your honest comment. I have a lot of respect for folks like you that hang in there, night and day, to get their kitties into remission. Yes, I have a fear of missing a low number and my girl going into a hypo event. Yes, I am concerned that I will have nights when I don't sleep at all. Yes, I worry about getting her into remission and it all fading away with the the next infection or needed steroid treatment. Anyway, I am so impressed with how far you have come with your boy. You are an inspiration to me. I think the bouncing is the biggest frustration of all of this. It is like we make wonderful strides only to have them all disappear. Two steps forward and two steps back. I know that the longer I have Susie in good greens then the less I will see the bouncing. Or, at least that is what they tell me. Doesn't work all the time. Anyway, I don't want to be a "negative Nelly". Like you, I get tired of the ups and downs. I will hang in and continue to be grateful for all the wonderful people on this site that are helping me navigate - even with my fear and pessimism. I'm looking forward to watching your beautiful Zen come into remission and I am hoping he will never come out.

Emily + Zen likes this.
  20. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I understand where she's coming from though. Susie's coming down, she's seeing big swings, and being a little unpredictable...and being a previous Vetsulin user it is very very hard to get the action of big drops out of your head.

For what it's worth, I don't see much harm until there's a higher comfort level. Summer, the one time you shot low was a bounce break. With Susie being on a mission to come down, I understand the hesitation to shoot low/bounce breaks, especially heading into nighttime when the vet isn't open. I do think you'll have to shoot lower over time...you've said before your goal is 60-120 range, but I think Katherine is right that you'll probably have to shoot low numbers for her overall numbers (like PS) to come down.

What an eventful week for you and Susie!

21. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks, Katherine. I just don't know if I can bring myself to shooting a preshot number of 50. That really frightens me.

22. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Taking the depot effect into account not shooting below 90, will get you caught up in uncontrollable highs and lows. The point is to shoot low, to stay low. Depot insulin is bad at driving numbers down, but excellent at keeping them there. If you're worried I'd make sure she's going up, shoot any number above your reduction point. Because depot effect, point is she's rising on her own until onset, not shooting means the juice has to work even harder. More bouncing and unpredictable cycles.

Did you know symptomatic hypos on depot insulins is rare? I read that. It makes me feel better :oops:

23. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks, Melissa. I appreciate your understanding. It has been an eventful week for me but I do believe that I have learned a bit about feeding the curve and trusting my instincts. I guess I am just tired. I hope you will let me know when you get Mr. Kitty's test results from last week. Praying for your boy.

24. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I will, thanks!

You do need a break. Set up a movie night for you and Susie!

25. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I think the last one I saw here was a few months ago with Pookie before he got adopted, and that because the vet gave wrong syringes, set a high dose and did a diet change all at the same time. I think he ended up getting 20-30U a few times because of it, somehow survived!

26. Katherine&Ruby

I have never had to do that Summer, and those who have really know their cats and trust their instincts. If you look at my spreadsheet, I shot Ruby at 54 on 5/19 when her appetite was not good and I promptly got a 37 that totally freaked me out. She never was that low before. I learned a lot from that experience and that's why I decided to take her off insulin while she was still sick, be damned the consequences. It turns out I made a good choice, Ruby's pancreas took the reins and we're on day 11 off the juice. I did what I needed to do to keep her safe.

I hope you don't think I am being hard on you. I have gotten in a lot of trouble in my life for being too direct. :oops: I only want you to have information to help you make the best decisions for your life and for Susie. You hold the syringe. Always. Big hugs, cat mama. :bighug::bighug:

27. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Oh dear! And they usually last long WHEN they happen, but they don't crash like on the other types. Personally I think people who use Vetsulin has some serious nuts! I couldn't do that again, knowing what I know now... not ever.

28. Katherine&Ruby

Symptomatic hypos are rarer than diabetic ketoacidosis, which is what happens when kitties experience extended periods of time in hyperglycemia. DKA is sadly how a lot of people even realize their kitties are diabetic, like I did with Ruby.

29. Summer and Susie (GA)

You folks are great and quite frankly I am tired of hearing myself whine all the time about my fears. I am going to do some serious thinking about all of this tonight and when I come back tomorrow morning I will be in a different place. I have always considered myself to be a pretty brave person but I certainly show my fear and weakness here on this site with Susie's health. I'm just not that confident in my decisions yet. You will all help me with that and I thank you. Goodnight.

30. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Well, dear sweet Summer :bighug:
    I'm exactly the same, I consider myself brave, positive and optimistic.. when it comes to me. When it's about my fur babies everything needs to be as safe as possible. I think that's how loving someone works :bighug:

What about easing down to where you want to be? Let your heart have the time to follow the logic of your brain.
    If you think everyone else isn't terrified you're wrong, we definitely are.
    Very much so..

I don't know if it makes sense. I'm so tired my eyes can't stay open

31. Emily + Zen

Emily + Zen Member

Well, if that didn't hit the nail on the head, I don't know what possibly could. (Well-said, Sasha.) I second Sasha's sentiment, and also her recommendation to let yourself ease into some scarier places if you're ready. But set yourself up to get some sleep before you make any changes-- you want to have a clear head before you change up the routine, lovely. :bighug:

Summer and Susie (GA) and SashaV like this.
  32. Summer and Susie (GA)

I know you are tired. You stay up day and night to make sure your girl is safe. You are another inspiration to me on this site. In fact, I was thinking about something you said to me a couple of days ago when I said I won't be pushing Susie in to remission. You said "That won't be your call. It will be hers". I think you are so right. I think if her little body wants to heal it will, providing I support her. She has already had several reductions in the last six weeks and I need to support her in her own efforts. The "bouncing"!!!!! That drives me crazy. Just when I think we are making progress her liver decides to dump excessive hormones into her body that raise her glucose sky high. This is the part of this "dance" that I really have a problem with. Oh well. It happens and I need to get used to it. Thanks for your support, Sasha, and for always making sense to me.

SashaV likes this.
  33. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks, Emily. You are fast becoming a dear friend to me on this site and I am so excited for you and Zen going forward. I see a really bright future for your kitty - with your help!

Emily + Zen likes this.
  34. Emily + Zen

Emily + Zen Member

Same, girl. :bighug: You know, you were one of the first people to comment on my threads just to encourage me, and it meant so much. We Florida girls gotta stick together!