5/30 Tiger PMPS 146,+2 126,+3 107,+4 107,+4.5 109

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kathy and tiger, May 30, 2021.

1. Kathy and tiger

Kathy and tiger Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Got calipers. Using Ulticare syringes. Need info if anyone else has switched over from those. The dose is pretty far off from one to the other unless I am doing it wrong...thanks!

Had a lovely, gentle green night. 50's don't scare me like they used to! DH still gets a little nervous, but we are all getting used to what we hope will be our "new normal".

2. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of calipers! You will never go back to using those crooked lines on those syringes again! I'm sure you've been studying the Dosing with Calipers sticky, where it lists Ulticare syringes as measuring 1.25 mm per unit. That makes starting off so much easier. It took me a while to get used to it but once I did it only took me a minute or two to get the right dose.

Tiger's doing great, though he could be more considerate and do those drops during the day. ;) Have a wonderful day, Kathy!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  3. Kathy and tiger

Thank you Katherine! Yes during the day green is always oh so much nicer!

Yes I have studied Marje's video-info page! The dose is about .25 more on the syringe than with the caliper unless I am putting it in the wrong place. But I don't think I am...so I guess I will wait until he earns a reduction and switch over then!

So happy for you and Ruby girl!

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  4. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Have you measured this out on a couple of syringes? There's a lot of inconsistent printing on them. I have the top arm of the caliper lined up with the plastic stopper at the top of the syringe that prevents the plunger from moving forward. I use that as my "zero" line rather than the zero line printed on the barrel.

Thank you! We're happy as well, though I'd be happier if she was eating consistently! :bighug:

5. Kathy and tiger

It just occurred to me that I needed to try a few syringes! I was lining up with the clear ring at the very top. I will try a few and try a different top point! Thank you so much!
    Come on Ruby girl-Nutrition is so important!
    Hugs to you and yours:bighug:

6. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

Kathy, I am using the UltiCare VetRx 3/10 cc, 31g, 8mm syringes and I use them with a caliper. Below is what Marje sent me when I switched to these syringes. You need to remember to use the base of 1.25 to determine your mm measurement on the caliper. For instance, you are currently dosing at 3 units of Lantus so you would take the 3.00 and times it by 1.25 which means you will be shooting 3.75 on your caliper. Make sure the caliper is set for mm and not inches. When setting the caliper, loosen the screw on the top and push the two arms all the way up together then "0" them out ( another button on the top). Then slowly pull the arms of the calipers out until you get to 3.75 mm. Tighten the screw on the top and this should be the correct setting on you caliper for 3 units of Lantus. Makes me nervous to be giving this kind of advice but I am now very comfortable with the calipers and, after eyeballying my measurement on the syringe, I verify it with the caliper. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

7. Kathy and tiger

Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate you sharing the info!!!
    Hope you and Susie are doing ok today and can get a little rest tonight!

8. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

I am happy to be able to "pay it forward" in my very inexperienced and newbie way. One thing more I will say. I will trust the syringe reading before the caliper. Just in case I have screwed up the caliper. I am looking forward to a full night of sleep - depending on her +2 tonight. I think she will be bouncing through the night.

Kathy and tiger likes this.
  9. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Don't tell me you're staying up till he goes green! :p

10. Kathy and tiger

HAHAHA I was just deciding whether to go to bed or wait a half hour to see if maybe...
    But I don't think he will go green tonight!
    Good to hear from you! Looks like Bandit is keeping you busy! Beautiful!

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  11. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

They don't oblige when we want them to. Thinking of getting that tattooed! :D