5/30 Tommy +3R 298,+6 100, +7.5 62,+7.75 56,+8 72,+8.5 113

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lauren&Tommy (GA), May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lauren&Tommy (GA)

Lauren&Tommy (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday
    COUNTDOWN TO DENTAL DAY~~~ (WEDNESDAY, JUNE 1ST)
    Feeling a little less humor this morning, but still trying to keep a positive attitude that one day my boy
    will be regulated :D
    I pooped out kind of early last night and missed a handful of posts.. I'm so sorry. Thank you all for the information you gave me about your personal experiences with the thinning blood and the possible reasons behind it. I'm glad to know it's not something else I need to worry about.

Can any one help with what to use for Diarrhea.. Abbey is having some runny poo problems lately. I remember that Miralax is for constipation, but i can't remember what helps with diarrhea?

Looking at the whole SS I know that Tommy is soooo much better than he was, but I can't help but think something has changed over the past couple of weeks. There's much more red and pink.. He's been on 11U for quite a while now but with the greens he has had I'm afraid that going up to 11.5 might just be too much.

Besides that , my thinking is to hold off for a couple of more days until he gets his Dental, since i'll probably be adjusting his dose any way, at least in the first few days I will.. So for now, I'll just try to control the damage with the help of R, when it decides to work :D and do some adjusting after his Dental.
    I hope all of you have a safe and wonderful Memorial Day!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 5/30 Tommy AMPS 431~.5R, +1R 397,+2R 361

Happy Memorial day! Loved that photo - that is nice,and cute.

YAY - another kitty off for a dental. Always a worry - but it will make things so much better for Tommy. FWIW, I too would wait until after the dental to adjust the dose. I expect that the dental will possibly effect his BG's too.

Sorry - no help on the diarrhea... I've read it somewhere, but can't remember what one uses...

You done so well with Tommy. I admire you outlook, positive attitude when the numebrs tend to make you feel otherwise. That I am all too familiar with. Keep hoping for regulation - one day it will happen.

Enjoy your holiday today! :D

3. linda and guinness

linda and guinness Member

Happy Memorial Day to you too!

Sorry to hear you are feeling a little discouraged. I know how that is. It comes in cycles. One day good, the next day bad. I hope your day turns around. We are right behind you in the high dose department. I too worry that each higher dose is going to be too high. And then what?

The best thing I've used for diarrhea in cats is Forta Flora. It comes in a box of packets and you sprinkle the packets on top of their meal. They love it and it really helps with diarrhea. I ordered mine online, I'm not sure you if can get it at a normal pet store, you might call around.

Keep up the positive attitude, it's always an inspiration for me when I get down. You are doing the best you can for Tommy, I'm sure he understands that! Have a great day!

4. Tracy & Leo

Tracy & Leo Well-Known Member

Mornin Squirrel and Tommy too!

No kidding they are in a race for the trophy, silly kitters. Yay for Tommy and the dental......maybe the toof fairy will bring him some good treats. And hopefully he will come down in dosage when he gets his new sexy smile! :- :lol: Just like Gus!

Awww poor Abbey is having some poo issues.....I hear good things about fortiflora, you should try it out.

Have a great holiday with your baby!

5. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Re: 5/30 Tommy AMPS 431~.5R,+1R 397,+2R 361,+4R 321

Happy Memorial Day to you Lauren!!! Your positive, upbeat attitude is wonderful and we are hoping the dental will help Tommy's numbers. BTW, Tobey has a dental that day, too, so we'll need lots of prayers around LL. And KTSS!!!

I hope he continues to come down for you today. I'm sorry you have liquipoo in the house! I use slippery elm bark syrup. It soothes the intestines. You can buy slippery elm bark powder loose at the health food store or in capsules. My kitties don't like the powder on their food but some do so if you buy the capsules, just sprinkle it on the food. If you want to try to make the syrup it's just 1/2 cup spring/bottled water mixed with 1 tsp of the powder and warm gently until just slightly thick. Give 5 mls bid.

Have a super day!!

6. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

come on down from there, Tommy!

I agree that you might as well wait until after the dental to increase his Lantus dose, as long as you can keep using R. What did the vet suggest for your Tuesday night feeding/shooting routine? Often they have you pick up the food after midnight, so in some cases shooting 1/2 dose the night before a dental (and none the morning of) is a good idea.

Sorry about the liquipoo. That is a chronic problem in my house. I have had some luck with FortiFlora and with unflavored Metamucil.

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

There are a couple of additional possibilities for liquipoo:
    • probiotics - this would include FortiFlora. I've only seen FortiFlora online or at the vet's office. Any probiotic will work. Some folks here use Culturelle. ReNew Ultimate is also good and I've found it in the refrigerated supplement section at Whole Foods.
    • yogurt - plain, unsweetened yogurt with active cultures. The bacteria in yogurt is a form of probiotic. This is fine if your cat doesn't have issues with milk products.
    • Pumpkin - canned pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling, contains fiber and can help with diarrhea.

8. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

i couldn't get punkin to eat yogurt or pumpkin, although i tried both plain and mixed in food. threw away some food, in fact, because the guy who always eats wouldn't eat it!

the fortiflora works wonders for punkin - i'm sold on it. the vet has it and he always sticks a prescription label on it - although i'm not positive it needs one. last time i was in they had just finished "Pet Day" at the university and the vet tech had samples to hand out - they gave me an entire box - probably 30 packets. that was awesome. i've been giving him one packet every day that he's on the AB and it mostly clears it up.

you're smart to wait til the dental is over - i'm sure he'll come through it fine, but you'll be tinkering with his dose then anyway, probably for at least 3 shots, so it's just as well to wait. hang in there for this week and think in terms of it being another week before you can really "tackle" his numbers with the Lantus. He moved nicely with the R today!

Sweet graphic on Memorial Day. Did your dad serve? My dad didn't hardly talk about the service when i was a kid, but for whatever reason it became an important part of his identity after he retired. When my kids were young we always went to the Veteran's Day parade in the next town with dad.

9. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

a few more miscellaneous thoughts about dose:

I posted this in Punkin's condo today too, but unfortunately with acromegaly there are even more variables than working with a regular diabetic cat. The tumor's output of growth hormone can fluctuate dramatically, and that can make the cat's dosing needs fluctuate too. With most cats, if they are in nice numbers and you hold the dose, the nice numbers will stay about the same. With acro, that doesn't always happen. In fact, sometimes it seems like Jazzy outgrows a dose just for the fun of it. :roll: Don't feel bad or think you did something wrong. It's probably just the tumor, just go with the flow and adjust as needed. Incidentally, the same thing can happen when the tumor's output decreases. You might be happily cruising along on 11 units, then all of a sudden "oh crap, this dose is WAY too much" and then you have to adjust downward really fast. It's just one extra thing our precious kitties do to keep us on our toes. Perry's Sooty has gone from 90-something units to 39-40 in the last week or two. Personally, I really hope Jazzy never gets to a dose that high because I don't really want to experience that kind of ride! All you can do is hang on and try to keep ahead of them.

When you find Tommy losing regulation, don't be too afraid to increase the dose. You do want to wait for a bounce to clear, but after that then go on up if he needs it (not necessarily this time, since you're waiting for his dental). Also, with a confirmed acro diagnosis and a dose over 10 units, it's fine to increase in increments of 1 unit, especially if you feel like the resistance is getting ahead of you. If you think about it, percentage wise increasing from 10 units to 11 units is equivalent to someone else increasing from 1 unit to 1.1. It's really not that big an increase. What I would probably do, since you can test a lot when you need to, is increase in 1 unit increments if he is mostly yellow/pink or 0.5 unit increments if he has a lot of blue. Up to you, of course. Usually it is easier to try to keep up with the dosing needs rather than to let them get ahead of you and then try to catch up later.

The other random thought I had while working with Jazzy this week is that it makes sense that when she needs more Levemir to make a difference in her numbers, that she would also need more R to make the same impact. I used to be afraid to give Jazzy 0.25 units of R because it dropped her too much. Now I've given 0.25 a couple of times and it hasn't done a lot. Overall her insulin needs have increased, so it makes sense that her R needs would increase too. Hmmmm...

10. bev5477

bev5477 Well-Known Member

Just want to say that I think you're doing an awesome job with sweetie Tommy. I'm already saying some prayers for the 'little' guy on his dental. (For you too).

11. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

You're really doing a fabulous job with Tommy. And his numbers don't look too bad today, really!! :D

I'm hoping you're having a terrific Memorial Day!!! :D

12. Lauren&Tommy (GA)

Re: 5/30 Tommy +7 355~.25R, +9 369

Wow, 2 hours later and the property is finally cut. I have to work out now, but I saw that I had visitors and wanted to say I'll be back in a while. I need to get to condos, I feel so lost not knowing what everyone is up to today, but things needed to be done. I did see earlier about the liquipoo help.. I will get some forti flora.
    I do hope that you all are having a terrific Memorial Day!
    Tommy's numbers even with R right now are going the wrong direction ohmygod_smile ohmygod_smile ..

13. julie & punkin (ga)

Re: 5/30 Tommy +7 355~.25R, +9 369

he'll come back down. silly kitters don't know which way is up, do they?!

we're off for a hike, i just wanted to say hi while i was on.

14. Tracy & Leo

Tracy & Leo Well-Known Member

Re: 5/30 Tommy PMPS 399~.5R

Looks like you got some great answers about Abbey's poo problems, and some answers on acro too. Poor Tommy, he wins today's trophy......but don't worry Leo might save that race for another day!

15. julie & punkin (ga)

hi lauren - so he is being stubborn about coming down with the R! c'mon tommy!

we had a great hike - thanks for asking! it's so beautiful in this one section, quite forest-y, in fact-old oak growth type of forest. it was just about 2 miles total from our front door, so it's not exactly a major hike, but somewhat hilly so you get a little bit of a workout.

hope you're having a great evening with the little guy!

16. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

Will have Guardian Angel Al looking out for Tommy on June 1st.

17. Lauren&Tommy (GA)

Re: 5/30 Tommy PMPS 399~.5R, +1R 354,+3 298

Every one thanks for the big help to Abbeys Liquipoo.. The census looks as though we'll start with the easy stuff, Forta Flora and go from there.
    Libby to answer your question, yes he told me nothing after midnight. and no shot in the a.m... Can i have your reasoning on only a half a dose in the evening.. And i can't tell you how much I appreciate all of the other information, it's a lot to take in and I guess just like you said we'll wait until after his dental and see where he wants to go with it..I'm glad that you gave it to me.

Sienne thank you also for the advice on what to use, I'll take a look at the link.

Julie thanks for the pep talk about Tommy's Dental, you already know i'm a bit nervous. I'm going to go with the Forta Flora for now. I'll try and get some tomorrow or Wednesday.
    Yes my Father is a Marine (Once a Marine, Always a Marine) He served in the Korean war and worked on the
    F9F Panther as an aircraft electrician.. :D

Bev, I know i already thanked you over in your condo, but i failed to mention my gratefulness for the prayers that will be coming Tommy's and my way from you. That really means a lot.. I would love to see some numbers like Gus is having now since the AB's are starting to work on his infection.. I'm glad he's going to be good as new.

Thanks Patty, they look a little better this evening.. I guess enough R can fix anything :eek: (Kind of Like Duct tape)

Tracy, I don't want Tommy or Leo to win, but hey look Tommy finally made it to yellow tonight. Tell Leo thank you for sending some sunshine our way :D
    Julie, yeah that boy is stubborn.. but he will submit to my will sooner or later and just behave..
    I want to go for a hike.. Not a state park hike but a real one like when we went hiking in orderville canyon in Zion Nat. Park.. that kind of hike.. You guys are starting to make me jealous with all this cool real hiking stuff.

Tena, forgive my ignorance, I've heard that name before but who is that again? and thank you for having him watch out for me.. Marjories, Tobey is also having a Dental the same day, so we're gonna need lots of LL prayers and good wishes.. Thank You ;-)

18. julie & punkin (ga)

before daryl & i were married we went hiking in canyonlands, utah. talk about a "real" hike. we were planning on a week but there wasn't hardly any water, so we left after 4 nights. it was extraordinarily beautiful, though. so different from oregon.

you're not too far away from there if you ever get the chance to go. pretty much have to go in spring because of the water situation. there's only a few weeks in between the end of the snow and the end of the water.

I looked at the Fortiflora box and it says "vet use only." hopefully that will help her tummy.

19. Marje and Gracie

Hey Lauren: to answer your question on our condo....I get the slippery elm bark powder at our local health food store called "New Life". Do you have a health food store there?

20. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 5/30 Tommy PMPS 399~.5R,+1R 354, +3R 298

Hi, is your name Lauren? I just saw where Marje called you Lauren, and I've been calling you Squirrel! I just wanted to stop by and see how you and Tommy were doing. Thanks for visiting us earlier. I used Fortiflora on Maggie when she had the runs, and it really helped, and she liked it. I will be thinking good thoughts when Tommy has his dental. Have a good night.

21. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

Re: 5/30 Tommy PMPS 399~.5R,+1R 354, +3R 298

Ann beat me to it.....I thought your mom and dad just had a really good sense of humor or it was a family name as to how you were called Squirrel and here I find out it's Lauren!! :lol: :lol: Just kidding, of course, but it sure is nice not to have to call you Squirrel anymore!!

Thanks for the kind words in Champ's condo. I think it's amazing how far we both have come since starting this battle. While Tommy has gotten the short end of the stick with his acro diagnosis, thank goodness you know what you're up against now which is better than running blind!! Tommy's a lucky fellow to have you, too, as are all your pets. I read your profile and found that you rescued just about every one of your animals and I think that shows what a really giving, loving heart you have and I commend you!!

I hope you've also had a wonderful holiday weekend!!! :D

22. Marje and Gracie

Re: 5/30 Tommy PMPS 399~.5R,+1R 354, +3R 298,+6 100

ohmygod_smile ohmygod_smile :oops: :oops: :oops:

Unfortunately, I just have to take credit for being an idiot tonight because with Gracie's numbers like they are, I didn't DARE take a drink :lol: :lol: Chocolate...tempting but no....not that either!!

Glad to see Tommy coming down.

23. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

nice on that +6. GO TOMMY!

24. Lauren&Tommy (GA)

Well, I WAS asleep!! Not anymore :shock: I took it twice just to be sure and it's correct. Yeah i'm a little worried right now. Something decided to work and all at once! A 300pt drop in 6hrs is not good as far as i can see.. I'll be setting an alarm to try and make sure this doesn't get out of hand.... Whhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Ann, Yes that't my real name and please feel free to call me that or Squirrel. I've had that nickname since i was 10. My father gave it to me and to be honest I think the only time he called me Lauren was when i had done something wrong :D

Patty, so you didn't like calling me Squirrel huh! That hurts me deep :eek: ;-) Just for that you have to continue to call me Squirrel ;-) .. I don't consider his diagnosis getting the short end of the stick.. On the contrary, that just makes him more special to me, and you're right I would have much rather known what i was up against than to have never found out. You're very welcome about champs condo. I meant that whole heartedly, you are doing wonders with Champ. It's quite a joy to watch the progress that you, Bev, Julie, Linda, just to name a few, have made in just a few months.

25. Marje and Gracie

Thanks for not minding if we call you Lauren. I really love that name!!!

Ok Tommy...talk about scaring your beans....you and Gracie just have a nice surf now!

Ni Ni!

26. Lauren&Tommy (GA)

Re: 5/30 Tommy+1R 354, +3R 298,+6 100, +7.5 62

Now I'd have to say I'm more than a little scared.. I just gave him 1 tbsp of HC and will test in 15min.. No one is on right now.. another 40pt drop in and hour and a half.. He seems just fine..I'll give some Karo with his HC next test.. I have a feeling i won't be going back to bed tonight..

27. Lauren&Tommy (GA)

Re: 5/30 Tommy+1R 354, +3R 298,+6 100, +7.5 62,+7.75 56

I just gave another tbsp of 24% HC and 1/2tsp of Karo, will check again at +8

28. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 5/30 Tommy +3R 298,+6 100, +7.5 62,+7.75 56,+8 72,+8.5 1

Morning Squirrel and what a night you had with Tommy's numbers dropping. I see you finally got him up to 115; it must have been nerve wracking for you. Good job, and I hope you finally got some sleepus and can sleep in a litttle depending on Tommy. Thanks for explaining the names Lauren and Squirrel. I've gotten to know you as "Squirrel" now.

29. julie & punkin (ga)

Re: 5/30 Tommy +3R 298,+6 100, +7.5 62,+7.75 56,+8 72,+8.5 1

wow lauren, what a night! you did a great job handling his low numbers - just right. we've probably messed you up now by posting in your condo from yesterday, but i wanted to respond to your crazy night.

i agree 100% with you about tommy's diagnosis. knowledge is power - you can learn how best to help your little guy when you know what's up. i'm totally anxious to get punkin's test results back, because no matter what they tell us it will be an answer and will help us know the best direction to go to help punkin. that's what it's all about.

my last kitter, felix, died at age 12 from cancer blocking his intestines. he got sick and was gone in days. i figure punkin's already outlived felix by a year, and punkin has a chronic disease. i just treasure whatever time we have. tommy's so lucky to have you taking care of him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.