5/31 Minnie AMPS 138 +3.5 45/62 +4 39 +4.75 56 + 5.25 39, +6 48/64 +6.5 74 +7.5 96/112 +9 138 UTI?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Liz & Minnie, May 31, 2021.

1. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/5-30-minnie-pmps-150-ketone-0-3-5-261.248023/

Fun never ends. Little vomit this morning, liquid. Then multiple failed attempts to pee until she managed some (pinkish I think) pee on the duvet. At first wouldn't eat, then took some a/d and Tiny Tiger so continued with full insulin dose. Called ER, they said ok to hold on til tomorrow's appointment unless she's in obvious pain (refuses to eat, hiding) - but they are full so would need to go to a different ER. Always on a holiday!

She is eating. Got another ondansetron in her (2 attempts, I didn't hold her mouth shut long enough the first time so she spat it out but I got it in her again.) Mama 2, Minnie 1.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Poor Minnie. Do you have any d-mannose? I've given that to Furball for a UTI and it cleared things up. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

You can buy capsules and open them up or you can buy it loose and add 1/4 tsp in the food a couple times a day.

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

5. Liz & Minnie

Thanks - don't have it but will add it to the stockpile. New more pressing issue now, low BG but at least she is eating!

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Oh my, Minnie no longer likes that dose! :eek: Good to hear she's eating.

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  7. Liz & Minnie

at least she is doing this during the day!

Does this warrant a decrease this evening? And do you think only 0.25 since we increased by 0.5?

8. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

And if you decrease tonight, you may still have a lively evening because of her depot. I sure hope she keeps eating. So sorry about the UTI. That's bad since she doesn't take pills well. Zenequin is my fave for UTIs; it works well and is once a day and not twice. That D-Mannose may make her feel better and I don't think would mask anything in the urinalysis. Do you have any pain meds? You know how uncomfortable UTIs are. I was just thinking that you might be able to get her through until tomorrow.

9. Suzanne & Darcy

At least you got her up with some of my good old standby ... Karo mixed in. Looks like she wasn't responding to the food alone prior to this. 39 is scary to me. Of course, you've got some hour to go today ... unless she decides to go soaring.

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  10. Liz & Minnie

To be honest, UTI concerns are out the window right now after her insisting on staying lime green! She's finally up at 74. Can someone remind me how often I need to check her BG and feed? I think it's no food and hourly check, but can't find where that's written (of course!)

I don't have any pain meds :( this is twice now she gets sick just before a scheduled appointment! Part of me hopes they say orbax will work for this, if it is a UTI, because she loved licking that from the spoon. Not going out today to buy stuff so crossing fingers. She hasn't tried to pee again since this morning. Apart from plunging BG she seems perfectly all right now!

11. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh, that's right... she loved the Orbax... but you didn't! Was it malt?

Yes, what's up with the plunging. You need to stay put, of course. I always see people advising to test every 30 minutes and steer the numbers with a tsp of food.

12. Suzanne & Darcy

At 74 you can probably just not feed for 30 minutes and check to see if she's dropping or rising or staying flat. That's what I see people advising here all the time.

13. Suzanne & Darcy

But this is all dependent on your comfort zone, in my opinion. If you aren't okay with 74, feed a tsp. low carb. That's another thing they say to keep them surfing.

14. Suzanne & Darcy

Because that karo is going to wear off quickly. And that 74 was an karo influenced number

15. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

Scary low greens for your girl today. Hopefully you can bring her up safely.

16. Suzanne & Darcy

Summer is an expert at feeding to keep them up or keep them surfing!

17. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh and she's got her up to 74 at last check... we are awaiting the next numbers :)

18. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Oh dear, I went to the movies and come back to Minnie in the limeys! Up, up, Min!

19. Liz & Minnie

The novamax numbers made me feel a little less panicky - first time was for comparison, then once I started I needed to do both to see what was happening! Was getting tiny blood samples which does not work well with the freestyle so I did a backup check with the novamax and then used both - partly for comparison, partly because of small blood drops making me waste freestyle strips. ER03 grr.

Thanks everyone - looks like the 74 was a trend up and not just the karo (?) First round of karo didn't seem to do much but I really didn't know how much to give. Then there was the panic (sorry, we don't panic haha) of getting a food she would eat. a/d - yes. Tiny Tiger - yes but LC. w/d - not today. FF gravy - not today. Gah! On the plus side I think she's been around +8 nadir so we'll see what happens next.

Vet tomorrow will think I'm cruel, her ears are in such a state!

20. Wendy&Neko

Information you are looking for is in this Sticky Note: Don't Panic! or How to Handle Low Numbers Which is one I had printed off in case of power outage. Yes, that happened once. :rolleyes:

Given how much she liked the limes and hit 30's, a full 0.5 unit decrease is warranted. The one time I only did a 0.25 unit reduction at around 6 units, I was rewarded with the 20's the next day. Larger depots are a pain!

Liz & Minnie and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  21. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh, poor Minnie really shows it when she's had a lot of ear pricks because she's so light. At least you can see what you are doing.

22. Suzanne & Darcy

I don't have a lot of options either for Darcy right now if he drops low. He may eat a little of the high carb renal food... but frequently it doesn't seem to do much. I have kibble as an option because he likes it... but it isn't good at working fast... but it is good at lasting longer. So it's a 50/50 karo water mix syringed into his mouth 1.5 cc. If you tried that with Minnie, though, she'd be wearing it... and you'd probably be wearing more of it than Minnie!

23. Liz & Minnie

Thank you (as always, and especially for everything in this post!)

I have that sticky printed out and on the side of the fridge, next to Minnie's pharmacy. Along with 'How to treat HYPOS - THEY CAN KILL!' and "jojo and bunny's HYPO TOOL BOX". And of course in my big case of "not panicking" it didn't occur to me to look there :facepalm:. so I went with my bad memory and waited an hour, and got lucky.

I think my lesson from today is I should have added the karo to a/d earlier. I gave HC w/d and some FF gravy and they just didn't seem to make any difference. The only time I tried getting karo straight in her mouth was when she came back from hospital and it was a mess. Poor thing, it was like chewing gum in a child's hair - I had to trim it out days later.

My eyes say HURRAH for a 0.5u reduction! And I am relieved I got the ondansetron in her early enough today. Dealing with this and no appetite would be too much stress.

24. Liz & Minnie

I may have to get the peroxide out again and clean her up a bit :joyful:. I also have a Libre so I may get them to put that on her and give her ears a bit of a rest.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  25. Wendy&Neko

For me (and Neko), anything below 40 automatically meant karo, usually mixed with gravy. I didn't like her spending any time down there. And if the lows are earlier in the cycle, the insulin is even stronger so needs more of a kick to combat. Vs. later in the cycle when it's ebbing and you can use a lighter touch.

Suzanne & Darcy and Liz & Minnie like this.
  26. Liz & Minnie

One thing that is frustrating (one of many!) is that she shows absolutely no indication of low numbers! But...I'd rather have that than any of the scary things I've read about. And in other news, here are some pics. The day is a lot more relaxed than my condo - Minnie came to sit next to me and watch the birdies (she left and is snoozing now before next pokey) and Sam is relaxing after a hard day being chased away from Minnie's many food dishes. You can see the vein really well, though I will point out that the tip of the left ear and 1/3 of the way down her right ear are little growths and not giant scabs from pokey time!
    20210531_155449 small.jpg

20210531_155212 small.jpg

27. Liz & Minnie

5/31 Minnie AMPS 138 +3.5 45/62 +4 39 +4.75 56 + 5.25 39, +6 48/64 +6.5 74 +7.5 96 +9 138 UTI?

And now we bounce.... Does the longer they stay neon = higher/longer bouncing? (generally - for argument's sake leaving ECID out of it)

28. Liz & Minnie

Question. What form of d-mannose do people buy and what's the dosing - or can someone point me to a good website/post that contains details? Thanks.

29. Wendy&Neko

Suzanne & Darcy and Liz & Minnie like this.
  30. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

MINNIE! :eek: geez I peeked in on her this morning and then she went wild

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  31. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. Felinecrf.org is a Bible. Lots of good info there for kidney cats and non kidney cats alike.

Liz & Minnie and Katherine&Ruby like this.
  32. Suzanne & Darcy

Minnie is like that! She’s a bit of a rebel! ;)

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  33. carfurby (GA)

See post #3 above. I buy capsules from Swanson Vitamins. I know other people have bought loose powder, but I don't know where.

34. Liz & Minnie

Thanks, I missed that in yesterday's excitement! You give the entire capsule?

35. carfurby (GA)

I break the capsule up into three smaller capsules. Or you can open the capsules and give 1/4 of a teaspoon that way.

Liz & Minnie likes this.