+5 @ 57, possible 911?!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Caitlin M, Mar 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

Hi, as many of you know, I've been giving Pita 2 units- skinny in am, fat in pm. I just got home, did a +5 and he's at 57. I'm staying calm, but should i just give him some of his normal wet food or give him some with the gravy? Please help ASAP!

2. Caitlin M

I don't know how to make the 911 in red, so hopefully someone will see this!

3. Caitlin M

Giving some of his normal food now. Will test in about 10 minutes.

Djamila likes this.
  4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I see it. Hang in there! You've got this! When is Pita's usual nadir?

5. Djamila

From the spreadsheet, it looks like he may have one more hour to drop. Do you have high carb food/karo around just in case?

6. Caitlin M

Usually around the +5

7. Caitlin M

I do. He's eating his normal FF Classic but I have both gravy flavors and Karo. Should I retest in about 10 minutes or wait a little longer?

8. Djamila

I think you usually test at 20 minute intervals. Although if he just ate, you might give him a few extra minutes so the food has time to register. Is his behavior normal?

9. Caitlin M

Ok, I'll give it a bit til he's done eating. Yes, so far acting normally.

10. Djamila

I'm just working at home this evening, so I'll be here.

11. Caitlin M

Thank you!

12. Caitlin M

Waiting until 9:30 EST to test again

Djamila likes this.
  13. Djamila

Isn't this whole thing just crazy? Last night Pita was pretty flat, tonight there's a big dive.

14. Caitlin M

Crazy indeed! We're currently sitting here staring at each other. :)

15. Djamila

I think waiting is the hardest part!

16. Caitlin M

Yes exactly! Also, it's crazy to me looking back how my vet told me not to home test. Lovely.

17. Djamila

Right?!?! When Sam went into remission last time, he went from getting shots to OTJ in a week. If I hadn't been testing I could have killed him. I keep telling my vet he needs to be reading this site. He's a great guy, this just isn't his area of expertise.

18. MiCo

MiCo Member

HI Caitlin - word of advice, feed small amts of food if you need to steer the bg up. You don't want kitty to eat so much at once that they are no longer hungry, if you need to continue to feed to get that BG up!

Djamila and Caitlin M like this.
  19. Caitlin M

Ok, so I just tested and used 3 different strips. First was 54, second was 62, third was 56. Doesn't give me much faith when I only use one strip! Should I wait another 10 minutes and retest to see if I should feed again?

20. Djamila

How far apart were his snack and that test? I think I read that it takes about 20 minutes for the food to hit them. How's this for the blind leading the blind tonight!?

21. Caitlin M

Lol well I appreciate it regardless! It was like 5 minutes after he finished. I'll wait another 15 to retest. How frustrating is that though with the strips?!

22. Djamila

PS It seems like a good sign that he didn't dropping anymore between the +5 and the tests you just did.

23. Djamila

They're all pretty close numbers, so at least you know your meter is consistent!

MiCo likes this.
  24. Caitlin M

Ok good! I averaged them all out and it was 57... So that's good I guess. We're just playing with a shoe lace (im)patiently waiting!

25. MiCo

MiCo Member

Agreed. These are all close #s. And if you are using a human meter, you don't need to be really concerned unless you get readings below 50. You are doing good. Test again in a few and report back. As long as #s continue to rise, that's good.

Caitlin M likes this.
  26. Caitlin M

Thank you!

27. MiCo

MiCo Member

I will try to stay near, but probably will only be online for next hour. If you need back up, post to main forums. Also, I'm going to tag a few people who are online now-to keep an eye out on this thread... @Wendy&Neko

28. Caitlin M

Thanks so much, I appreciate it!

29. Caitlin M

Retesting in 7 minutes

MiCo and Djamila like this.
  30. Caitlin M

Ok, only used 1 strip this time! +6 was 64, so I think we're good?

31. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sorry, I don't know Prozinc, so not much help. With Lantus and Levemir, we would feed a little wet food ( a couple tsp), and test again in 30 minutes with numbers in the 50's. It can take 20-30 minutes for the carbs to go from the plate to the blood stream.

32. Caitlin M

That's ok, thank you! @JanetNJ do you know PZI very well? Don't remember what you use.

33. Caitlin M

Again, +6 was just at 64. I don't think I need to give more food, just maybe test at 6.5?

Djamila likes this.
  34. Djamila

Are you at +6 now? If you can, I might get one more test just to be sure he's really rising since the +5 and +6 are so close.

35. Djamila

Oops, cross posted. Yes, what you said :);)

36. Caitlin M

Hah
    Haha thank you! I'll hold off on more food and do a +7. Gah, fun times!

37. Caitlin M

This will be a fun curve tomorrow :joyful:

38. Djamila

Right? And then you get to brace yourself for what may possibly be a higher-than-normal AMPS from that steep drop.

Happy bouncing!

upload_2017-3-13_19-7-44.png

Attached Files:

39. MiCo

MiCo Member

Ok. I'm logging off soon. Here's the link from when my Cliff went low. Please note, I was using AlphaTRAK meter at the time, so #s/readings are a bit higher. There is good guidance in this thread. Of note: the food you gave might have artificially raised BG. You want to test in 30min and maybe an HR, and then again to make sure kitty is rising without food. Does that make sense?

Here you go! http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/cliff-low-bg-at-6.170145/#post-1850937

And pls post to main forum if kitty dips low again tonight and you need help. Take care!!

Caitlin M likes this.
  40. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Hi there. I never used pzi , only vetsulin, but there are some similarities. Looks like he hit his nadir fine and is surfing along with just that minor steering. Good job everyone.

MiCo likes this.
  41. Caitlin M

Thank you. I'll be testing again for a +6.5 then a +7. If #'s are all good, I'll go to bed.
    Lol Djamila, I know! I'm already dreading a bounce. I'm wondering if tomorrow may not be the best day to do a curve, even though I'll be snowed in. Also already wondering about his am shot dose. Perhaps the skinny 2 again? It seems that his skinny 2's aren't going as low (I also don't have those #'s) but his fat 2's seem to give the greens. Hmm, dosing, dosing.....?

42. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

If you pull up your original thread and there us an arrow for pulldown menu the 911 is there.

Djamila, MiCo and Caitlin M like this.
  43. Caitlin M

Found it thank you! Glad I didn't use it but good to know for future.

MiCo and Phoebes (GA) like this.
  44. Phoebes (GA)

Don't be afraid to use you can always remove when crisis is under control. :)

Caitlin M and MiCo like this.
  45. Caitlin M

+6.5 is 70. So far so good!

JanetNJ, MiCo and Djamila like this.
  46. Djamila

@Phoebes , thank you! I've always wondered how people did that! Thankfully I haven' needed to yet, but good to know just in case.

Phoebes (GA) and Caitlin M like this.
  47. Djamila

Sam only does mini-bounces (knock on wood), so I don't know a ton about them, but he's usually just high and flat after a low. I was told after his last green to do a slightly skinny regular dose if the PS is a normal to high number, reduce the dose if he's still low. By morning there should be more people around here to give better advice than I can though!

I can't wait to hear how much snow you get! Around here they forecast snow, but it almost never happens. I'll live vicariously though all of you!

48. JanetNJ

They already called all the schools by me off, so I'll be home shoveling tomorrow.

Caitlin M and Djamila like this.
  49. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Just catching the excitement now. There'll probably be bouncing tomorrow so you can't base your dose on a likely inflated AMPS. The 57 you got is close to being too low on a human meter (50 is the "danger zone ahead" number) so that tells you that 2 u is near his best dose at this point in time. For comfort's sake you could drop to 1.8 u because he'll be more insulin sensitive from dropping low. Wait to see what he gives you tomorrow AM.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    MiCo likes this.
  50. Caitlin M

My only problem is that I get up at 4am to do his test and shot, so not a lot of people are up then either! I'm actually not usually awake right now. I go to bed around his +5, so it just so happened that I decided to test since I have no work! Oy.

51. Caitlin M

Hey Kris! Thanks! do you think it's a good idea to do his curve tomorrow after all this or wait until the weekend? Ok, if his numbers are around his usual AMPS, should I stick with the skinny 2? I'm already anticipating not having many people awake then.

52. Kris & Teasel

Will you be home tomorrow? If you are and he's at his usual AMPS you can try the skinny 2 u again. You'd have to monitor though. Unfortunately, the only way to better numbers is along this nerve wracking path.

53. Caitlin M

Yes, I'll be home- no work due to school closing! Because of this i figured it'd be a good day to finally do his curve, but I'm not sure how 'accurate' it would be due to this excitement!

54. Phoebes (GA)

Very welcome :)

55. Kris & Teasel

You could start the curve tomorrow and if he stays high and flat from bouncing just quit the frequent testing.

MiCo likes this.
  56. Caitlin M

Ok, I'll plan to do that then.

Ugh, his +7 was just 62. Where do i go from here?

57. Kris & Teasel

He's surfing (staying level-ish) in good green. Try not feeding and retest at 7.5. He should be getting past nadir and you want to see if he's in a holding pattern he can sustain without food.

MiCo likes this.
  58. Caitlin M

Ok, will do the 7.5 and post then.

59. Djamila

Do you need some coffee? This is getting late for Massachusetts...

60. Caitlin M

Lol I am definitely exhausted! Seeing as I have to be up in less than 5 hours to do his AMPS and shot :confused:

61. Caitlin M

Ok, his +7.5 at 11:30 was just 76. No food was given (minus a few testing treats) since the +5. Can I go to bed now?!!

Djamila likes this.
  62. Caitlin M

Djamila, what time zone are you in again? Kris, I see you're the same as me, just further north.

63. Kris & Teasel

Looks good. I think you can go to bed. That's what I'll do too. ;)

64. Caitlin M

Thank you everyone! I can not thank you enough for your support and encouragement. I know it wasn't quite at the scary 50, but 57 is the lowest he's ever been. Lots of hugs and well wishes!

65. Djamila

I'm on the west coast (seattle). Good job tonight, and sweet dreams!

Caitlin M likes this.
  66. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Oh, I missed all the excitement being at work! Good thing there are lots of people around to help out :D Congrats on making it through your first lime green!

I'll make sure I'm around at your 4am AMPS time in case you have any questions.

67. Caitlin M

@ShipsCat are you on here already? Last night was thrilling as you saw! His AMPS was just 336, which is exactly around what it has been lately (!!) I was expecting a much bigger # but am pleasantly surprised/happy. I'm thinking I should maybe do a regular 2 units instead of the skinny since I'll be with him all day/doing a curve. Thoughts?

JanetNJ likes this.
  68. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

I'm here :)

It's up to you if you're up for some more possible excitement! Was it a fat or regular 2u that gave the nice greens last night? You might want to skinny it up a little even though you're home. They can be a little more sensitive to insulin after a nice low like that.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  69. Caitlin M

It was a fat. I'll stick to the skinny then! Just hate how it seems that the skinny isn't dropping his as low so it's constantly varied at this point between the two.

70. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

If it was a fat you can try a regular 2u since you're home. Now that you've weathered your first low you know what to do if he dives down again :D

It definitely looks like right around 2u is his sweet spot - for now!

Caitlin M likes this.
  71. Caitlin M

Alrighty, probably a normal 2 was given and I'll start the curve in about 1.5 hours!

ShipsCat likes this.
  72. Caitlin M

How much longer are you awake? Thank you, thank you again, by the way :)

73. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

You're very welcome! I try to help where I can to give back for all the help I receive here myself ;)

I'm normally up until 6am eastern time, but with the time change I'm having trouble getting to sleep before 7. I hate daylight savings time :banghead: I'll be sure to keep an eye here just in case.

74. Caitlin M

I'm definitely still a bit thrown off myself. Great, I'll let you know what my +2 comes back with :)

ShipsCat likes this.
  75. JanetNJ

You're up already? It's a snow day. Sleep in. Wait then why am I up? Lol

76. JanetNJ

Those greens, while unnerving at first site are EXACTLY where you want kitty to be. Don't let the pretty color scare you.

Kris & Teasel, Caitlin M and ShipsCat like this.
  77. Caitlin M

Lol, his normal routine starts at 4 :woot: yes, why are you up?!

78. Caitlin M

Thank you. I think my initial reaction to the 57 was just ' how quickly would he drop to the 50 and I'd be panicking?'

79. Caitlin M

But I was happy to see his AMPS number!

JanetNJ likes this.
  80. JanetNJ

My day starts at 5am. My partner and I are both teachers and she has to leave the house at 6. I automatically wake up by 5.... I wish I could convince my brain to sleep in.

Caitlin M likes this.
  81. JanetNJ

I hear you. I would have fed at 57 just to be sure. The numbers in the 60's were nice and safe. :)

Caitlin M likes this.
  82. JanetNJ

AND now the 4 year old is up. THIS is another reason why there's no snow day sleep in. Lol.

83. Caitlin M

That is a busy household!

JanetNJ and ShipsCat like this.
  84. Caitlin M

+2 was 309. So far so good! Back to sleep for another couple hours...:cat:

ShipsCat likes this.
  85. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

He might be a little high & flat today as a response to the lovely green. But he might not, and in any event that's a nice slow drop for the morning :)

I'm going to test Hermione and try to go to sleep myself.

Caitlin M likes this.
  86. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Wow what excitement! I missed it all...sorry I wasn't around, but Elektra is having a flareup so I spent time chasing her around to give her some bupe and then went to bed....only way to calm my nerves when that happens.

I'm excited to see those greens and know you're glad to have a snow day so you can keep an eye on things! I'm heading to work in a few (no extra sleep for me! :() but I'm excited to see how your day goes!

87. Caitlin M

Thanks Rachel! Hope everything is a bit better with Elektra.

88. Caitlin M

+4 was 266

89. Kris & Teasel

Not too bad! Would I be correct in thinking that you're getting a bit more comfortable with the ear pricking? ;)

Djamila likes this.
  90. Djamila

Nice gentle numbers this morning!

Caitlin M likes this.
  91. Caitlin M

Sssh, don't let him hear you! :joyful:

Rachel, Djamila and Kris & Teasel like this.
  92. Caitlin M

+6 was 306

93. Kris & Teasel

Bounce! o_O

94. Caitlin M

::Sigh:: :oops: what does that mean for his pm shot dose?

95. Caitlin M

2 units seems to be the dose as of right now, so now I guess I need to figure out how to fine tune it?

96. Kris & Teasel

Absolutely nothing. Keep the same dose. You judge a dose by how low they went when not bouncing. If there was no bouncing happening then you judge a dose by looking at both PSs and nadir. You also have to go by "feel" sometimes and that takes time to develop.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  97. Kris & Teasel

Watch what this dose does when bouncing abates and be prepared to intervene with food and/or a dose reduction. As for how long the bouncing will last - only Pita knows ... ;)

Caitlin M likes this.
  98. Caitlin M

Oh goodness! Lol thanks. I'm sure I'll need more reiteration later.

99. Caitlin M

On that note, how's Teasel doing?!

100. Caitlin M

Did he technically bounce last night or just get very low?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.