? 5/8 Boris AMPS 228, +3 180, +4 113, +7 130, +9 326, PMPS 317

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nathalie & Boris, May 8, 2022.

1. Nathalie & Boris

Nathalie & Boris Member

Figured he would be getting used to the blue numbers by now, but after increasing dose today he started to take a big dive before I left the house, so I fed him a tiny snack of epigen 90 to make sure he didn't go too low while I was gone. Rechecked before leaving.

Got back and he's back to the 300's.

I know his numbers have consistently gotten better, but I'm wondering when he'll quit bouncing. I've tried to look at his spreadsheet and determine when I should possibly leave food for him, but his reactions daily are not consistent of when he gets nadir.

Sometimes he'll run higher numbers during the day, and lower at night, then it just switches. Any help on how to curb the bounce would be appreciated. Seems I'm not doing so well with this.

Or should I just continue without extra feeding and let the bounces clear out on their own, not feeding unless he gets low greens?

Last edited: May 8, 2022
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

That's the million dollar question that everyone asks. The answer is ECID - every cat is different. But first of all he has to start seeing more normal blood sugar numbers so that his body can get used to them again.

His nadir often seems to be in the +5-+6 range. Feeding him low carb around +4-+5 might help. You don't want to stop the drops, but rather slow them down and make sure they aren't steep drops. I would feed consistently, so he gets used to eating at that time.

Nathalie & Boris likes this.
  3. Nathalie & Boris

Nathalie & Boris Member

LOL. I've read so many other old posts about this and have attempted a couple of different scenarios.

That's what I'm aiming to do, is slow them. He typically eats no carb for meals and typically gets carb from the dehydrated treats. Tonight I fed him a low carb at PMS to see if that keeps it from going down so quick.

Thaks, for pointing it out. It does seem when I fed the raw nugget 1/3 at the +4-5 he leveled out ok and didn't bounce high. Sometimes you look at the sheet so much you can't see what's right in your face. I need to add a graph somehow.

Just to be clear, what does one consider a steep drop? Currently I'm basing it if he drops 60+ in a short span.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Again ECID, but I've seen some cats bounce from a 50-60 point drop in an hour.

5. Nathalie & Boris

Nathalie & Boris Member

Boris definitely seems to do that it. Maybe this week will be our lucky week to hit the stability train. Fingers crossed.

6. Hendrick Cuddleclaw

Hendrick Cuddleclaw Well-Known Member

i played around with generating some graphs off of Hendrick's data, had no idea what I was doing. Just clicked here and there until I managed to produce a graph lol. go for it!

re: bouncing....ugh so frustrating. AMPS took longer to stop than PMPS, and those mornings where I was just hoping against hope that he didn't bounce overnight -- and then he would be in the 400s -- seemed endless. It was depressing and I struggled to keep my spirts up. Hang in there, everyone kept telling me just keep on doing what you're doing. Nobody knows when Boris will settle down, not even Boris.

Nathalie & Boris likes this.
  7. Nathalie & Boris

Nathalie & Boris Member

Thanks Kyle! Every time I get my hopes up, he bounces again. Today we are on the holding of 200's. Based on past, I assume to see him possibly get a low before PMPS, and then start the dive all over again tonight. lol.

Tonight, I will be following and trying to keep him stable. Right now, I'm taking Wendy's advice and just feeding a little bit at the +4-5 to see if that will help things if I stay consistent. It's definitely a guessing game, and I try not to get discouraged when I look at other people's charts and their cats just magically continue to level out and get great numbers.

My neighbors cat just got diagnosed and I've been helping her out, and her cat is already seeing green without large bounces. We think her cats diabetes was brought on by a prednisone shot in December. But her cat went from vomiting and not eating, being hospitalized to already soaring past Boris. A bit discouraging, but ECID. Trying to remember that.