5/9 Fritz PMPS 71 +2 120 +6 74 +8 80

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by DebG, May 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Popping in to see how all the kitties and beans are doing!
    I'm trying to do way too much wish I could post every day but I won't be able to for awhile.
    I am posting his recent blood work hoping Marje will peek at it and anyone else.:)

Be safe kitties!

Attached Files:

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice numbers for Fritz. I hope you are all doing well. I think @Marje and Gracie is out of town right now.

DebG likes this.
  3. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Hi Deb! Fritz is looking pretty good these days. I'm no expert on labs but did take a peak. Doing a quick comparison of the last labs posted in April 2017 his BUN doubled but his Creatinine is still in the normal range so not sure if there is indication of some kidney things starting. Did they do a urinalysis? I believe the SDMA is a good test to give a clearer picture on kidney function. I know he eats raw and some vets have said high protein will raise the BUN so might be nothing. Of course the CK has gone up to which always concerns me with possible heart things but I believe you had that covered by the CardioPet BNP test.

How is his breathing these days? Give him extra scritches for me!

4. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

Hi Karen!!!!! He did not do a urinalysis. I asked him to and he came back and mentioned something about doing a quick ultra sound to see if he would be able to do the urine. When he brought Fritz out from his blood work he said he did not do it as he was concerned he couldn't easily do it with all the fat on him and didn't want to stress him.

His breathing has been ok I manage it with the oral pred. twice a day. After his recent vetty visit we (myself & doc) decided to try and taper him off the pred. I am now giving usual dose (2ml) which is a tiny dose only at night. I am suppose to do the inhaler in the morning which I will start today and see if and how long he will tolerate it.
    In looking over his blood work in the back of my mind the horrible thought of Cushings popped:arghh:! I sure hope that is not it.:nailbiting: .
    In my limited knowledge and observing him he has some of the signs of Cushings.
    In another attempt to loose weight I have lowered his food 10% to 4.5oz.
    He did have the CardioPet BNP test I think 3 years back????

Hope you guys are doing well!!:bighug::)

5. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Yes you are correct that I was out of town but just got back :) Thank you for tagging me!! :bighug:

His albumin is likely high because of dehydration. That could be why the BUN is also a little higher but he’s been on a raw diet for a long time so the change from 20 to 41 makes me think “????” But it could still be a little dehydration in light of the elevated albumin. You could do a free catch urine sample and take it to the vet to check his urine specific gravity (they should have a refractometer in the office) and see what it is and if he’s concentrating his urine. The first urine of the morning is best to take over and it doesn’t need to be sterile. If you catch it before the vet is open, just put it in the fridge. If he’s not concentrating his urine, that indicates to me that he “might” be very early CKD. I say “might” because there can be other reasons for not concentrating the urine.

Like Karen, the CPK raises a concern to me. The CardioPet ProBNP is just that snapshot in time. It could be quite different today.

Glucose looks great as does his SS. What symptoms does he have that you think might be Cushings?

One suggestion I have is that because he’s over 10, every time you have labs done, ask for the senior panel. It will get you a complete superchem/cbc, urine, and tT4 for less that what you might have paid for the panels you got. I, personally, have full panels done on Tobey and Livia and they are still really young.

I hope you are well.....I’ve been hoping we could meet when you are down here in the winter sometime. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::kiss:

6. DebG

DebG Well-Known Member

@Marje and Gracie
    For a short time recently he was drinking and urinating more than usual that has stopped. Now less drinking and if what ever we call normal urinating.

Yes I will contact his office and take one in.

I should have him tested again. Should I have it done sooner than later? Or is it ok to wait and take him back to the Cardio in Arizona? If not I'll have to ask around and see who up here in Washington.
    Excessive thirst & urination for that short period of a week or so
    Weight gain
    Enlarged abdomen
    Weakness
    Breathing diffucitlies
    All of which could be symptoms of other diseases. All kinds of thoughts pop into your head s you see changes in the blood work:arghh::confused:

I will have them flag my chart as I thought he was getting the senior panel:mad::arghh:. I just assumed that since he was over 10 they would just do the senior!!!

I would love to meet up with you. We will be staying in Safford more next winter as Mike will be building the gates for the two entrances to the property. He also has a Mustang car that he wants to start his restoration on. I mentioned that I would like to spend a month or so in the Tucson area, perfect time for us to get together!!!! :):bighug::bighug::bighug:

Hope all is well with you!:bighug::)

7. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Anyone who uses IDEXX labs can run this test as it is an IDEXX test.

Interestingly, the CK (aka CPK) can be elevated in cats with Cushing’s. So you might want to add that to your list of suspicions but there can be a lot of other reasons why CK can be elevated.

They don’t typically. With my current vet, when I took in our older cats, she’d recommend it and she knows now that I like it run in all the cats.

That would be really great to meet you next winter.....a very long time off! And it would be fantastic if you were in Tucson!

DebG likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.