5 months, high numbers, help!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Nancy S, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Nancy S

Nancy S Member

My vet switched to Prozinc almost 2 weeks ago because Basaglar was causing huge swings, and KittyLou was rapid developing neuropathy.
    Can you please review her spreadsheet and tell me whats going on? I would love to see a glimmer of hope. Tonight was heatbreaking because she was having problems walking down the hall and she gave a despondent meow. She basically just eats, sleeps and uses the litter box. Her personality is gone. Her zest for life is gone. Will I get my cat back? I am losing hope.

FrostD, can you also advise?

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Take her up to 4 tomorrow. Keep increasing 0.5U every 4-6 cycles until you see yellow (at any point in the cycle). I'd do the increases only when you'll be home to monitor. As a side note, this is why we don't recommend resets :( poor kitty

Just so you are aware, the tag didn't work. You have to put the @ symbol in front of my username, no space.

I'm sorry but I forgot - are you doing anything to treat the neuropathy?

Nancy S likes this.
  3. Nancy S

Nancy S Member

Thanks for responding! And thanks for instructing me how to tag.
    KittyLou has been on Zobaline for 5 or 6 days. I give her one pill in the morning. Im thinking of trying acupuncture. There may be a vet in town that does it.

FrostD likes this.
  4. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

@Nancy S how is KittyLou doing? I’ve been quietly tracking your spreadsheet and just wanted to check in. I know it’s hard and frustrating to have high numbers for so long and to see them struggle. :(

I’ve done acupuncture for a couple of my dogs (not diabetic) with very good results so it might be worth trying on KittyLou. My thought has always been “won’t hurt, might help” and I was pleasantly surprised. If you do try it, please post your experience — I’m interested in the results.

Zobaline takes a while to work but is worth it. Don’t give up on it even if you don’t think you’re seeing results.

When you switched to Prozinc, did you get new syringes (u-40)? Or are you still using the old u-100 syringes that you used for Lantus? Just wanted to make sure that if you’re using the old u-100 syringes that you’re doing the conversion and drawing to the appropriate line on the syringe (without doing the conversion, you’d be under dosing).

Best wishes for you and KittyLou. I hope you start seeing better numbers soon.

Nancy S likes this.
  5. Nancy S

Nancy S Member

6. Nancy S

Nancy S Member

KittyLou is hanging in there. Neuropathy is still bad.I am faithfully giving Zobaline. The acromegaly test from Michigan State came back yesterday. Her IGF-1 was only 22 so the physicians feel confident that acromegaly is not the problem.
    The problem is I still don't know what I am doing. Im going to post in the help board because after a series of really high numbers, and I have been shooting 4 units of prozinc twice a day, today her AMPS was 490 and her reading at +11, a few minutes ago was 288. She is due 4 units in an hour, and I am very nervous about giving her that much on this low number. I am going to retest her in an hour to make sure she is still low.
    Thank you so much for your concern.