6/1 Newman AMPS 252

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Linda and Newman, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

2. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

The 252 surprised me a bit so I did immediately repeat and got 260. Going to feed him morning meal. @Suzanne & Darcy

I realized too late that perhaps I should have stalled and retested. I forgot.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

This is why we are holding the dose at the 1.25. Good job! What hours will you be gone and about when will you be back. I’m glad it’s in the morning.

4. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Leaving house about 2:30 (about +6) and should be back before 4:30 PM. Hopefully he will still be grazing at 2:00-2:30 as a cushion.
    I'm already nervous about leaving.

5. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh. I thought you were going out in the first part of the cycle. I got mixed up. Well, you know what to do :cat: Check him before you leave and give food if you think he needs or wants it. You can decide on %carbs based on the test before you leave.

Linda and Newman likes this.
  6. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

7. Suzanne & Darcy

Not really a huge drop between 252 and 189. I’m actually pleased to see blue, which means we will hd the dose for 10 days (unless he drops below 90). You have some hours left - about 2.5 hours before you have to leave. You could feed him a tsp of low carb canned food now if you like.

8. Suzanne & Darcy

Then, when you leave you may want to feed a little more to make sure of him while you are gone.

9. Suzanne & Darcy

I’m not minimizing the chance for his shenanigans- he’s shown us what he can do. So that’s why I am nit going to be feeling secure unless you check him a little before you go and feed him, unless he’s already gone back up.

10. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I coaxed him out to eat some of his Fancy Feast left from breakfast as usual. I will check him again around 2 PM which will be +6. Then if I have to get him to eat some higher carb canned food, I have time before we leave.

11. Suzanne & Darcy

Good plan.

12. Suzanne & Darcy

How's it going tonight, Linda?

13. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Posted PMPS 430 shot 1.25 as planned.

14. Suzanne & Darcy

Beautiful.

15. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Good morning, @Suzanne & Darcy
    Newman tested 242 AMPS. After yesterday, I have questions. Should I wait 20 minutes and retest? Depending on that test result, would it be a consideration to give a .25 reduction? He seems to drop rapidly on those low morning test results setting up bouncing? I know this is all based on my inexperience in treatment.

UPDATE: After 20 minute delay he tested at 353. Going to feed and still not sure of the dose.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
  16. Suzanne & Darcy

Good morning, Linda. If he’s starting at 353, don’t you feel comfortable giving the 1.25?

17. Suzanne & Darcy

Now, I know you will be tied up today for a while where you won’t be able to monitor him very well. What hours would that be? + what?

18. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

If I give it by 8:30, I will be busy at about +5. I wouldn't expect that to last any longer that +7. He won't be available while she is here, maybe not hiding, but easily prompted to retreat!

I was speaking based on the first test this morning 242. I suspect that had I gotten the 353 initially, I wouldn't be as apprehensive with the 1.25.

19. Suzanne & Darcy

It’s up to you. He’s pretty high and usually does okay when he starts out that high. Maybe you can get. +4 to see if he needs feeding. Or just give him a low carb snack at that time anyway. It’s a pretty good time for some LC.

20. Suzanne & Darcy

What do you think?

21. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Honestly, I'm leaning toward the 1.25, mostly because we were committed to staying with that dose for 10 days. I guess I should see where that goes. Good point, I can test him at +4 and act accordingly.

Okay. I shot the 1.25. It's 8:30 AM.

22. Suzanne & Darcy

Well, we are only committed to it if Newman is! ;) If he wants a reduction then he’s probably going to get one. We can’t be too sure of what would have happened yesterday because we had to carb him up a bit before you had to leave for your appointment. Did you notate that on your spreadsheet? I didn’t check the remarks area.

23. Suzanne & Darcy

I’ve got to run with some four week old kittens to the vet this morning. Their feral mama obligingly brought them this morning. They need a little vet attention. I’ll check in with you later… And you know how to get my attention.

24. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Getting a +4 check, he is 235. Expect to be able to check again at +7 - +8.

25. Suzanne & Darcy

Good.

26. Suzanne & Darcy

Yikes, Linda. Are you nervous. He gave you a 267. Will you be up for a while to monitor him?

27. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

PMPS 267 shot 1.25 at 8:00

I hope you had a good day @Suzanne & Darcy and that the kittens did well at the vet.

28. Suzanne & Darcy

Normally, I wouldn't think anything about a 267, but you never know with Newman. And ProZinc.

29. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I will be able to be up to check him. Here I though I did a good thing. Should I have waited or reduced the dose?

30. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I did look at the spreadsheet for other PMPS yellow numbers and saw where I had stayed with the dose (at that time) and he did fine.

I'm afraid I'm not learning this stuff. What would have been a better thing for me to have done?

31. Suzanne & Darcy

No. You are doing great. And you are learning Newman’s patterns. It’s just that I was worried about you getting concerned about him dropping this evening after this past weekend. You’ve done everything right.

32. Suzanne & Darcy

You did perfectly.

33. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Well, you're right about me being concerned. I worry when he is high and I fear that he will go too low. I'm sure I'm not alone, that there are other folks that feel that way in treating their cats, especially when we are in the learning phase, not that I expect any true consistency! I will be happy if he holds in the blue.

Thanks for your support.

34. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh, you are in the sane boat with a lot of others; that’s for sure.

35. Suzanne & Darcy

Which days did you look at on his spreadsheet for an example of how he did with a yellow pre-shot? It’s a little tricky because some of those readings were on the Alpha Trak. It’s difficult to compare.

36. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I did not think of the meter switch, but there is one other example the first day on the ReliOn in 5/30. On that day, he was 271, very similar and the dose was 1.25. He went up to 324 at +2, after eating.
    The other one I looked at was on the AlphaTrak on 5/26 he was 217, dose was 2.0 and at +2 he was up to 320.

37. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I just checked him. He is 293 at +1.75

38. Suzanne & Darcy

Looks like he is doing well.

39. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I should be able to test him again in 2 hours.

40. Suzanne & Darcy

On May 26, he was at 222. By a little after +7 he was at 82 then 90. Now, I do not think he was in any danger.

41. Suzanne & Darcy

Or am I reading the spreadsheet wrong?

42. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

I think you are reading it right. The numbers I was looking at and referring to on 5/26 are PMPS and you are looking at the AMPS.

43. Suzanne & Darcy

Yes. But I think in the PM cycle you were looking at, he was bouncing from the AM cycle - bouncing from the greens of the morning cycle. That’s why I think he went pink at +2

44. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

That probably explains it, I don't know how to read the bouncing. It seems to me like that is all he does is bounce!
    Looking at 5/30, the first day on the human meter, he started the day in pink, then at +4 he got into yellow and pretty much stayed there all day then went up into pink after the PMPS when he eats after waiting those 2 hours.
    Maybe I don't have enough data to really make good comparisons?

45. Suzanne & Darcy

He is bouncy - he does it quite a bit. Even from blues. I think today may have been a sort of slow clearing of a bounce from yesterday’s blue when you had to go out. Red last night, pink this morning, long string of yellows this afternoon and evening. So, I am wondering where he will be by morning? It doesn’t look like any dramatic drops tonight though.

46. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Just posted 251 @ 3.75. I don't think I will continue to test tonight. He has just eaten the remainder of his Fancy Feast and I used a couple of the higher carb treats for testing.

47. Suzanne & Darcy

Looks all flat to me. Good night, Linda, Newman, Ozzie and Minnie!

48. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

Thanks for staying with us. Good night.

49. Linda and Newman

Linda and Newman Member

See new thread 6/3 Newman AMPS 427