? 6/1, Tango, AMPS 408, +5 273, PMPS 421, +3 351

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lori C & Tango, Jun 1, 2023.

1. Lori C & Tango

Lori C & Tango Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/posts/3076374/

I know Tango's only had 3 doses of insulin and it takes awhile for insulin to start working, but wondering since his numbers are higher if we should increase to 1.0? Not sure how it works with kitties that have come off of beiing in remission.

Please advise.

Thank you!

Jackie and Biggie likes this.
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

It takes a week for the initial Lantus depot to build. However, if you can get mid-cycles tests, it might be a good idea to increase him to 1U. With cats that have fallen out of remission, you want to be a little aggressive in dosing to bring them back to good numbers sooner.

Going to tag @tiffmaxee and @Wendy&Neko for their input.

3. Jackie and Biggie

Jackie and Biggie Well-Known Member

I don’t have an answer but just wanted to send good wishes to you and Tango. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Lori C & Tango likes this.
  4. Lori C & Tango

Thank you so much!

Jackie and Biggie likes this.
  5. Lori C & Tango

Thanks for the quick response Bhooma. We can get more mid-cycle test. I need to leave so we'll give .5 and wait for okay to increase to 1.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

How much does Tango weigh? I suspect he was started on too low a dose. If still around the 14.4 lbs last listed on your spreadsheet, the starting formula for TR is 0.25 units per kg of cat, which at that weight would be 1.5 units. If you can monitor, I'd jump right up to that.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  7. Lori C & Tango

Thanks Wendy...

This morning's dose was actually .75. Hubby thought we were increasing. What do you think about increasing just to 1 U and see how his #s are?

At +5 BS was 273. He's maintained 14.2 -14.4 since diagnoses. Before diagnoses he weighed 17

Also, 8 month wait for UCD so we're going with the VCA - I've been told if you can't get into UCD VCA is the next best. Appt is on 6/27.

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You can try 1 unit, just make sure you continue to get that second PM test.

Bandit's Mom and Lori C & Tango like this.
  9. Lori C & Tango

Gave 1U - PMPS 421, +3 351

Bandit's Mom likes this.