6/12/21 - Squeaky! AMPS = 244 +7.5=261 PMPS = 168

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jan D & Squeaky, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Jan D & Squeaky

Jan D & Squeaky Well-Known Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/6-8-21-squeaky-amps-330.248382/#navigation

Question: What do you call a cat that works at Christmas?

Answer: Santa claws.

Hi Folks, I've missed a few days! Missed y'all!!! Been busy. Mask ordinance rescinded in our county and wow! The pandemic is over. (here)

We had a nice vet visit. The vet said a couple of things:

1) Squeaky is not going to go into remission. He didn't improve in the first 6 month window for that.
    2) I'm currently testing him far too much, way more than what is needed.
    3) He seems to be a cat who feels great in the 150 - 300 range. It's okay for him to live there. (He gets really droopy when he's below 150 but perks up when BG is higher.)
    4) His health is great and he could possibly live for quite a long time.
    5) I get an A++++ at being catmom caregiver.
    6) She wants continued photos of his adventures so she can post them on her blog. I've almost got everything ready for our first car camping trip!

It all sounds reasonable to me. I'm interested of course in everybody's thoughts!!! Vets are not infallible and they don't know everything..... she is a holistic vet though.

Hope everyone is doing well! Also coming out of pandemic and also enjoying summer!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Just because he hasn't gone into remission yet doesn't mean he won't. No one can say that definitely. We've had cats go into remission later than 6 months. Most vets don't understand about home testing and think we test too much. Until a cat gets used to lower, better numbers, their body isn't as comfortable in them. That's why we try to get a cat to spend more time in lower numbers. Then their body will adjust to them and they'll feel better. Right now Squeaky's body is used to higher numbers and that's where it feels better, but it may not be better overall for his health. However, you have to balance out what is best for you in taking care of Squeaky. I agree you are an A+++++ catmom caregiver. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

[heavy sigh.....]
    No offense to your vet, but I suspect we see far more diabetic cats here in a year than your vet has seen in in his/her entire practice. So, to reply to the comments...

1. A cat on Lantus has the best chance of remission in the first year post-diagnosis. That said, I've seen cats go into remission after 2 years or more. A member who started around the same time I did (Devon/Mocha) had her cat go into remission a little after 2 years from diagnosis. Cats are unpredictable and refuse to read the rule book.
    2. Well, I'd say look at my spreadsheet or any of the moderator's spreadsheets. Admittedly, we're testaholics. However, IMHO, the amount that you test is dependent on your cat. Gabby was notorious for early and fast drops. Testing was the only way I could keep her safe. If it were me, I'd probably encourage you to test a bit more, especially during the PM cycle. But, if you feel like you have a handle on your cat's patterns, that's what's important. It's YOUR cat. I wonder how much your vet would test if s/he had a diabetic cat? (My vet told me the same thing. I asked for her cell phone number so I could call here in the middle of the night if I thought Gabby's numbers were low. She got my point and never mentioned testing again. We had a great relationship despite my smart mouth.) Also, if this were a human child, I bet no one would question the frequency of testing.
    3. The 150 - 300 range is problematic. You want your cat below renal threshold. Generally, this is below 220 but it varies for each cat. Vets like to see higher numbers because most of their clients do not home test. It reassures them that you're not going to sue them if your cat becomes hypoglycemic if they've told you to keep your cat in a higher than normal BG range. Remember, normal on a human meter is 50 - 120. Squeaky may currently feel better in a slightly higher range. However, the more your cat gets used to progressively normal numbers, this will change. Humans say the same thing.
    Those are my 2 cents. As for points 4 - 6, I agree!!

4. Jan D & Squeaky

You guys are the BEST :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: :kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss: and I promise I won't tell my vet anything that you said.....:woot: :eek: :p :) LOL.....

5. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

well, OF COURSE :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Tyler (@Diane Tyler's Mom) is always a good one to keep in mind - he went into remission after a little over two years - here's his SS. And, of course remission doesn't have to be your/squeaky's goal but just wanted to drop it off :bighug:

Also, I hope you post your adventure pictures here too :cat: Can't wait to hear about the camping! Have a good weekend, Jan!

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

:bighug::cat: Thanks for posting this Susanne.

Jan D & Squeaky and JaxBenji like this.
  7. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Jan! Your dedication to The Squeaky One is beyond question! But sadly a lot of vets don't know a lot about feline diabetes, and most have never lived with a diabetic kitty like we all have. I agree with everything Carla, Sienne and Susanne offered up.

I'm taking Ruby to a holistic vet on Tuesday and I'm really excited about it. :woot: She's going to get her first acupuncture session.

Jan D & Squeaky likes this.
  8. Jan D & Squeaky

Wow that is inspiring to hear the story of Tyler going into remission after two years. Diane Tyler's Mom, how do you think it came about????

Yes remission is our goal (within the parameters of my ability to manage things). It is harder for me to manage if his numbers are low. He does not tolerate more than 4 tests a day.

However I will hope! Thank you all for your caring presence!!!! Help!!!! and support!!!!! :bighug: :cat::bighug:

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Jan , to be honest I have no idea how it came about. I never even thought he would go into remission. I guess I was just lucky he did. Don't give up hope.
    I had to raise his dose a lot before starting to see all greens. I hope you and Squeaky have a good day ♥:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Jan D & Squeaky likes this.
  10. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks Diane that is good to know!!!!! We can all keep hoping!!!!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  11. Jan D & Squeaky

Also good to know that things might get worse before they get better!!!!!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.