6/12 - Olivia - (AMPS 97, 97@+3) (PMPS 139)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by mosi_yazhi, Jun 12, 2021.

1. mosi_yazhi

mosi_yazhi Member

Previous.

A nice green AMPS and a raw meal to start the morning.

Let's see where the day takes us :eek:

The last reading I did last night before bed was 113. Usually she creeps higher through the night. So that's... interesting?

2. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Whew-hew! Love seeing that green AMPS! :woot: Often Ruby hits nadir early in the cycle, numbers go up to +9 or +10, and then come down at preshot time. It's the Lantus double-dip, something a lot of CGs experience with their kitties. It doesn't necessarily mean she went too low while you were asleep.

mosi_yazhi likes this.
  3. mosi_yazhi

mosi_yazhi Member

I hope so - I got worried for a second!

I think she's feeling good - she's wandering around like shes got excess energy she doesnt quite know what to do with.. it feels different than listless/disoriented/depressed wandering. Or at least I HOPE its different.

She played with the laser for a minute, which shes usually not interested in, and got herself into the lazy susan under the counter. She looked at me like I caught her in the midst of a bank heist lol.

4. Katherine&Ruby

Whoops, forgot you're on Lev and not Lantus! :facepalm: Scratch my last comment about the Lantus double dip as it doesn't apply to Olivia. But still, don't worry, you're testing enough.

mosi_yazhi likes this.
  5. mosi_yazhi

mosi_yazhi Member

Shes trending pretty flat right now! Hopefully it stays that way for at least a few more hours, and she doesnt go up very much past nadir.

So, question about raw feeding - is there like, an adjustment period before their bodies realize that they're getting enough nutrients from it and get used to running mostly on pure protein/fat and nearly no carbs?

She ate like 4oz this morning, which is more than what she would eat if it was canned, and all before noon add to which. Now shes wandering around, and purposefully running to the kitchen everytime I get up, trying to coax me into feeding her more. She even tried to steal some of my breakfast!

Idk if shes still hungry, or if this is a case of 'DAMN, that was good, when's the next meal time???'

Looking at your ss, are the '1.5 beef/turkey/whatever' meant to be ounces?

I think her ideal weight might be about 13-14 pounds, and considering she needs 20 calories for each pound she needs to be... I'm trying to figure out how much to feed her, factoring in that it's not just pure meat/meat weight shes injested, but also the added water the recipe called for/how many calories might be in the supplement mix.

6. Katherine&Ruby

So glad Olivia is loving the raw. Ruby eats the same amount of raw as she did the wet Weruva, around 6 ounces a day. Yes, I feed 1.5 ounces in the first meal of each AM/PM cycle and then feed progressively smaller meals after that for a total of 3 ounces each cycle. With raw feeding, they usually tell you to feed between 2-3% of the cat's IDEAL body weight in ounces per day to maintain. So Ruby's at 11 lbs and I want her to gain and be at 12, so I should be feeding her 5.76 ounces of raw, which is sorta near 6 given some of that is the water I use to mix the powder in. But I weigh her too and use that as a way of knowing if I'm feeding her the right amount. Time will tell!

mosi_yazhi likes this.
  7. Katherine&Ruby

Oh, and just realized I didn't quite answer this question because I don't really know the answer. ECID? Ruby's actually lost weight since I started her on raw even though I am feeding her the same amount of raw as I did cooked, but that might be a function of her SCL and all of her bouts of inappetence in the last few months rather than the raw food. Either that or the raw is more efficiently utilized by her system than cooked and I should have been feeding her more.

mosi_yazhi likes this.
  8. mosi_yazhi

mosi_yazhi Member

Ok, thanks for all the info - I'll see if I can be a bit more exact in calculating how many calories she needs while I'm mixing up the next batch! She definitely over ate with that first round, but she needs to gain little weight, so I'm not going to stress about it haha. Had 3 ounces tonight for dinner and she still seemed enthused!

I'm gonna give her a couple more days on the raw, and if her numbers dont start trending a little lower, I'll start futzing with giving her a higher dose. :nailbiting:

9. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

She does look like she needs a little more insulin. :)